Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is ESWT appropriate for atypical plantar fasciitis?

Posted by Phil S on 11/27/00 at 20:23 (033675)

I've had pf in both feet for about ten months, but do not have spurs on the bottoms of my heels, nor do I have the typical morning heel pain. (I do have small spurs on the backs of my heels but they don't seem to be a problem.) My pain develops after being on my feet for anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes (it varies), and it occurs in different positions around the perimeter of my heels, and along the outside edges of my feet. It seems I do have consistent pain at the inside corners of my heels where it meets the arches (my podiatrist pressed hard there when diagnosing me).
So I'm at a turning point now, my podiatrist is having me try a tens unit, and if that doesn't work, he's thinking surgery. Do you think my condition would benefit from ESWT?

Re: Is ESWT appropriate for atypical plantar fasciitis?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/27/00 at 22:04 (033682)

I would get an mri to see if the pf is a symtom of some other problem such a torn Posterior tibial Tendon

Phil S on 12/01/00 at 14:46 (033984)

Dr. Z, I have just returned from my podiatrist and mentioned getting an MRI to check on this torn posterior tibial tendon leading to pf possibility. To put it graciously, he was quite skeptical about a connection between the two, and explained that my insurance would not cover an MRI, in any case.
I like keeping an open mind however, especially if it might help heal my feet, so I am still researching the ESWT possibility. Would you be so kind as to explain how a torn ptt could lead to, or aggravate, plantar fasciitis? Thank you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/02/00 at 10:42 (034045)

The function of the post tib tendon is to plantarflex and supinate the foot. If the tendon is injured or torn then you foot will place more stress and alot more weight on the plantar fascia. It will over stretching the pf. The foot will elongate the pf at other stage of the gate cycle It is a well know fact the posterior tendonitis will contribute and can cause pf. Jsut ask all of the pt people on this board.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/27/00 at 22:04 (033682)

I would get an mri to see if the pf is a symtom of some other problem such a torn Posterior tibial Tendon

Phil S on 12/01/00 at 14:46 (033984)

Dr. Z, I have just returned from my podiatrist and mentioned getting an MRI to check on this torn posterior tibial tendon leading to pf possibility. To put it graciously, he was quite skeptical about a connection between the two, and explained that my insurance would not cover an MRI, in any case.
I like keeping an open mind however, especially if it might help heal my feet, so I am still researching the ESWT possibility. Would you be so kind as to explain how a torn ptt could lead to, or aggravate, plantar fasciitis? Thank you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/02/00 at 10:42 (034045)

The function of the post tib tendon is to plantarflex and supinate the foot. If the tendon is injured or torn then you foot will place more stress and alot more weight on the plantar fascia. It will over stretching the pf. The foot will elongate the pf at other stage of the gate cycle It is a well know fact the posterior tendonitis will contribute and can cause pf. Jsut ask all of the pt people on this board.