Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hockey

Posted by Jason on 11/28/00 at 16:40 (033744)

Hello, I am doing some research on heel pain I have just recently noticed. I started playing Ice Hockey about eight months ago and after a long story I finaly ended up with a correctly fitting pair of skates. Now as I am breaking them in I have severe pain on the back of my heel, not the bottom of my foot. One night as I was rubbing my heel my wife gasped at the protrusion of my heel bone -slightly off to one side and 1/4 inch from the 'normal' curve of my heel. In all my life I had never noticed this. I went back through old tennis shoes (2 years worth) and it turns out this protrusion had worn through the fabric on all my shoes and to the plastic shell. I am guessing this is a calcium deposit or just outright deformation of the bone.

Does any one have ideas or suggestions to shrink this if it is not bone?

Thanks!!

Re: Hockey

Richard, C.Ped on 11/29/00 at 09:05 (033790)

Hi Jason,
I must preface this by letting you know that I am not a physician, nor do I claim to be. I am just a simple pedorthist who thinks he knows the answer. It sounds to me as if you have a 'pump bump'. Pump bumps are usually located just lateral to the Achilles tendon proximal to its insertion. It is characterized by a bony prominence. Most of the people with pump bumps that I have spoken with usually have a complaint of local irritation, or swelling due to the 'rubbing' of the shoe counter.

I invite the Dr. B and Dr. Z to please correct me if I am wrong.

Jason on 11/29/00 at 11:18 (033798)

Thanks for the info, I did some searching on the web and that sounds exactly like what I have. There doesn't seem to be much one can do, short of removing it -ugh. I think I'll stick to the medical term and not tell my hockey team I have 'pump bumps' -hahahaha. Pretty much what I am doing at this point is just wraping my heel with sports tape, even during work. I read that can help...guess I need to go see a doc.

Thanks again, you pointed me in the right direction.

-Jason

Richard, C.Ped on 11/29/00 at 15:29 (033815)

Jason,
I meant to put in my last post that you should see a physician. Maybe I did. I don't remember. Anyway, it is a good idea to do so, just in case it is something more serious. I hope it is not. Good luck to you and your team! Let us know what the diagnosis is when you find out.
Richard

Re: Hockey..........

Kate on 12/04/00 at 07:51 (034123)

Hello Richard,
Please tell me more about pump-bumps, as I find it fascinating. Do you see them often? And would this condition also plague soccer players, etc.?

Kate

Richard, C.Ped on 12/06/00 at 11:11 (034306)

Kate,
I do see people with pump bumps in my office. I have not had anyone that had that specific diagnosis and needed treatment/relief for it. Pump bumps can be sore and painful, or they can have no pain at all. You can find a shoe with a lower counter or a lower and wider achilles notch at the back of the shoe. People tend to confuse pump bumps with retrocalcaneal bursitis. The two are distinct entities. You have read about the location of the pump bump. Retrocalcaneal bursitis usually has the most tenderness over the tendon just proximal to its insertion and medial AND lateral to the tendon at the same level.
Dr. B and Dr. Z.....does that sound correct? If not, I am always open to constructive criticism.
Richard, C.Ped

Re: Hockey..........utterly FASCINATING Richard...really..

Kate on 12/06/00 at 11:58 (034309)

I mean it, really.....you truly are the pedorthist to the stars.....
Your forever fan,
Kate

Kate on 12/07/00 at 08:18 (034390)

And it only took you two days to type it........how impressive...

Kate

Richard, C.Ped on 11/29/00 at 09:05 (033790)

Hi Jason,
I must preface this by letting you know that I am not a physician, nor do I claim to be. I am just a simple pedorthist who thinks he knows the answer. It sounds to me as if you have a 'pump bump'. Pump bumps are usually located just lateral to the Achilles tendon proximal to its insertion. It is characterized by a bony prominence. Most of the people with pump bumps that I have spoken with usually have a complaint of local irritation, or swelling due to the 'rubbing' of the shoe counter.

I invite the Dr. B and Dr. Z to please correct me if I am wrong.

Jason on 11/29/00 at 11:18 (033798)

Thanks for the info, I did some searching on the web and that sounds exactly like what I have. There doesn't seem to be much one can do, short of removing it -ugh. I think I'll stick to the medical term and not tell my hockey team I have 'pump bumps' -hahahaha. Pretty much what I am doing at this point is just wraping my heel with sports tape, even during work. I read that can help...guess I need to go see a doc.

Thanks again, you pointed me in the right direction.

-Jason

Richard, C.Ped on 11/29/00 at 15:29 (033815)

Jason,
I meant to put in my last post that you should see a physician. Maybe I did. I don't remember. Anyway, it is a good idea to do so, just in case it is something more serious. I hope it is not. Good luck to you and your team! Let us know what the diagnosis is when you find out.
Richard

Kate on 12/04/00 at 07:51 (034123)

Hello Richard,
Please tell me more about pump-bumps, as I find it fascinating. Do you see them often? And would this condition also plague soccer players, etc.?

Kate

Richard, C.Ped on 12/06/00 at 11:11 (034306)

Kate,
I do see people with pump bumps in my office. I have not had anyone that had that specific diagnosis and needed treatment/relief for it. Pump bumps can be sore and painful, or they can have no pain at all. You can find a shoe with a lower counter or a lower and wider achilles notch at the back of the shoe. People tend to confuse pump bumps with retrocalcaneal bursitis. The two are distinct entities. You have read about the location of the pump bump. Retrocalcaneal bursitis usually has the most tenderness over the tendon just proximal to its insertion and medial AND lateral to the tendon at the same level.
Dr. B and Dr. Z.....does that sound correct? If not, I am always open to constructive criticism.
Richard, C.Ped

Kate on 12/06/00 at 11:58 (034309)

I mean it, really.....you truly are the pedorthist to the stars.....
Your forever fan,
Kate

Kate on 12/07/00 at 08:18 (034390)

And it only took you two days to type it........how impressive...

Kate