Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Really fed up!!!!!!!

Posted by KarenS on 11/28/00 at 18:52 (033756)

My surgery date was June 29th of this year 2000. I had an open release and heel spur removal done. After my staples were removed I was put in a hard cast for 4 weeks. After 3 months of physio I was still unable to wear closed shoes (runners) or stand or walk for longer than 1/2 hr.

I was to return to work on Oct. 1st but because of my pain was unable to. I am a baker and am on my feet all day. My surgeon has put me in another hard cast for 6 more weeks. It went on Nov 23rd and comes off Jan. 4th.

I am really quite discouraged at this point. I was hoping to have felt some kind of relief by now. What do you think? Is there hope?

Thank you...Karen

Re: Really fed up!!!!!!!

wendyn on 11/28/00 at 19:06 (033758)

KarenS - I'm trying to recall your history. Are youthe one who's diabetic? Did they rule out diabetic neuropathy as a possible contributing factor to your foot pain?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/30/00 at 04:24 (033851)

Even with the perfect surgery performed by the perfect surgeon open heel spur surgery is a very long healing process. I never heard of using staples but so long as the incision is closed and looks good that all that matters. It could take up to six months or up to one year with open heel spur surgery. This is why I pioneered the miminial incison heel surgery. It is a much quicker healing process but still with any surgery you can just go back and stand on your feet on day long. ESWT may be an answer for your . I have used this on patients that still have pain or are taking for every to get pain out of the heel area. Are you aware of this technology.?

KarenS on 12/01/00 at 15:01 (033987)

Yes, I am diabetic but I don't even know what that is you are talking about. They haven't mentioned anything to do with my diabetes.

Thanks

Karen S on 12/01/00 at 15:04 (033988)

Thanks Dr. Z: No I don't know what that ewst is. I live in Canada about 1 1/2 hours away from Toronto. Can you please explain?

Thanks

wendyn on 12/01/00 at 16:43 (033999)

Neuropathy is basically nerve damage from anything. BUT, there is a neuropathy that can be _caused_ by diabetes. When my foot pain/numbness started - the very first thing they checked me for is diabetes. I am baffled that they never even mentioned this as a possibility before performing surgery on you. Have you seen a neurologist?

KarenS on 12/04/00 at 22:39 (034170)

No Wendyn I've never seen a neurologist. I had x-rays done to determine the heel spur.

Thanks... Karen

wendyn on 11/28/00 at 19:06 (033758)

KarenS - I'm trying to recall your history. Are youthe one who's diabetic? Did they rule out diabetic neuropathy as a possible contributing factor to your foot pain?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/30/00 at 04:24 (033851)

Even with the perfect surgery performed by the perfect surgeon open heel spur surgery is a very long healing process. I never heard of using staples but so long as the incision is closed and looks good that all that matters. It could take up to six months or up to one year with open heel spur surgery. This is why I pioneered the miminial incison heel surgery. It is a much quicker healing process but still with any surgery you can just go back and stand on your feet on day long. ESWT may be an answer for your . I have used this on patients that still have pain or are taking for every to get pain out of the heel area. Are you aware of this technology.?

KarenS on 12/01/00 at 15:01 (033987)

Yes, I am diabetic but I don't even know what that is you are talking about. They haven't mentioned anything to do with my diabetes.

Thanks

Karen S on 12/01/00 at 15:04 (033988)

Thanks Dr. Z: No I don't know what that ewst is. I live in Canada about 1 1/2 hours away from Toronto. Can you please explain?

Thanks

wendyn on 12/01/00 at 16:43 (033999)

Neuropathy is basically nerve damage from anything. BUT, there is a neuropathy that can be _caused_ by diabetes. When my foot pain/numbness started - the very first thing they checked me for is diabetes. I am baffled that they never even mentioned this as a possibility before performing surgery on you. Have you seen a neurologist?

KarenS on 12/04/00 at 22:39 (034170)

No Wendyn I've never seen a neurologist. I had x-rays done to determine the heel spur.

Thanks... Karen