Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and exercises

Posted by Lois on 11/28/00 at 19:21 (033760)

I have been doing exercises for about a month now and they have helped, but here is the catch. About 3 days ago i began to feel much better with almost no pain and that was great. But my left hip felt it was shorter than the right and when iwalked a lot it pulled like everything. I finally think i have figured our that the stretching exercises made the one leg stretch more and not the other leg is not as stretched. Anyone today i have a lift in the opposite shoe and it seems tohelp, so maybe i have discovered something. Anyone else have these problems with stretching exercises. Any answers would be appreciated. Lois

Re: PF and exercises

Matt P on 11/28/00 at 21:59 (033768)

In Scott's PF book, it says unequal leg length can also cause PF.
I will guess that when people have unequal leg length, they will have hip problem which can happen before or after getting PF.

To doctors or anybody out there, I have a question. People usually get PF in the shorter or longer leg? If padding under the heel of shorter leg orthotic supposed to correct the problem?

Julie F on 11/29/00 at 02:41 (033782)

Hi Lois

You've raised an important point. We need to be balanced, so, whatever kind of exercise we do, both sides of the body should always be worked evenly. This can easily be forgotten when we are stretching one side for a specific purpose, like trying to get over PF. But everyone who is doing PF stretches should be aware that if one leg is being stretched in an effort to heal PF on that side, the other side should also be stretched.

Lois, I doubt that you've actually made one leg longer by stretching it. What has probably happened is that by stretching unevenly, i.e. only one leg, you've created an imbalance in your pelvis or your spine. I suspect this is what has happened because you say your hip is giving you trouble. You should have a chiropractor take a look at you: it's almost certainly something that can be put right mechanically.

I'd be wary about putting a lift in just one shoe - that could lead to further imbalance. You need to deal with the problem at its source, which is probably your back, and not just the symptom.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best, Julie

Re: Leg length

Julie F on 11/29/00 at 07:34 (033786)

Matt, occasionally a person may _really_ have one leg longer than the other with no apparent cause, but more often it is due to something going on higher up: spinal scoliosis (the 'S' curvature) or the pelvis being out of position. If the condition contributes to PF, the cause is still more likely to be in the back, and a heel lift in the 'shorter leg' would not correct it.

If one leg is _genuinely_ shorter, which can happen when osteoarthritis has caused the wearing away of the knee joint, for example, then an elevated shoe is often recommended.

Pauline on 12/05/00 at 04:50 (034179)

Lois,
Have you really only been stretching only ONE leg? If you have I suggest
you begin working on the other? There is the possibility that one leg has always been shorter than the other, but it sounds to me that you have just become more flexible on one side and the muscles are tighter on the other. Your lifts may provide a temporary solution but I would try to
work on the other leg too. Stretch all parts of your body from the neck down and on both sides.

Matt P on 11/28/00 at 21:59 (033768)

In Scott's PF book, it says unequal leg length can also cause PF.
I will guess that when people have unequal leg length, they will have hip problem which can happen before or after getting PF.

To doctors or anybody out there, I have a question. People usually get PF in the shorter or longer leg? If padding under the heel of shorter leg orthotic supposed to correct the problem?

Julie F on 11/29/00 at 02:41 (033782)

Hi Lois

You've raised an important point. We need to be balanced, so, whatever kind of exercise we do, both sides of the body should always be worked evenly. This can easily be forgotten when we are stretching one side for a specific purpose, like trying to get over PF. But everyone who is doing PF stretches should be aware that if one leg is being stretched in an effort to heal PF on that side, the other side should also be stretched.

Lois, I doubt that you've actually made one leg longer by stretching it. What has probably happened is that by stretching unevenly, i.e. only one leg, you've created an imbalance in your pelvis or your spine. I suspect this is what has happened because you say your hip is giving you trouble. You should have a chiropractor take a look at you: it's almost certainly something that can be put right mechanically.

I'd be wary about putting a lift in just one shoe - that could lead to further imbalance. You need to deal with the problem at its source, which is probably your back, and not just the symptom.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best, Julie

Re: Leg length

Julie F on 11/29/00 at 07:34 (033786)

Matt, occasionally a person may _really_ have one leg longer than the other with no apparent cause, but more often it is due to something going on higher up: spinal scoliosis (the 'S' curvature) or the pelvis being out of position. If the condition contributes to PF, the cause is still more likely to be in the back, and a heel lift in the 'shorter leg' would not correct it.

If one leg is _genuinely_ shorter, which can happen when osteoarthritis has caused the wearing away of the knee joint, for example, then an elevated shoe is often recommended.

Pauline on 12/05/00 at 04:50 (034179)

Lois,
Have you really only been stretching only ONE leg? If you have I suggest
you begin working on the other? There is the possibility that one leg has always been shorter than the other, but it sounds to me that you have just become more flexible on one side and the muscles are tighter on the other. Your lifts may provide a temporary solution but I would try to
work on the other leg too. Stretch all parts of your body from the neck down and on both sides.