Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OTC orthotics, helping or hurting?

Posted by Tiffany on 11/29/00 at 07:56 (033789)

I've had plantar fascitis for 2 months now and I just recently bought some over the counter orthotics. They were recommended by the Running Room and the are called 'Superfeet'. So, far I seem to like them, but I'm a bit flat footed and now I've noticed that I feel some pain shooting up along my ankle bone. It doesn't ache or anything, but after a long day it is sore. I'm wondering if this means I have the wrong orthotics, or if I just need to break them in a bit more(I've had them for a week). Can anyone help? I obviously want to be healing and not making it worse.

Re: OTC orthotics, helping or hurting?

Richard, C.Ped on 11/29/00 at 09:24 (033791)

Hi Tiffany,
It is possible that you need more of a break in period. People with flat feet usually have a harder time getting used to the support that others. Take it easy and slow. Try not to wear them all day right now. Don't force yourself to get used to them. Keep and eye on the sore spot. If it does not get any better in a couple of weeks, let us know. I am concerned about the pain progressing into something more serious. If the inserts just do not seem right after a few weeks, consider having custom insoles made.

Keep in touch.
Richard, C.Ped

Re: OTC orthotics, helping or hurting?

Richard, C.Ped on 11/29/00 at 09:24 (033791)

Hi Tiffany,
It is possible that you need more of a break in period. People with flat feet usually have a harder time getting used to the support that others. Take it easy and slow. Try not to wear them all day right now. Don't force yourself to get used to them. Keep and eye on the sore spot. If it does not get any better in a couple of weeks, let us know. I am concerned about the pain progressing into something more serious. If the inserts just do not seem right after a few weeks, consider having custom insoles made.

Keep in touch.
Richard, C.Ped