Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Successful Conservative Treatment

Posted by Ken J on 11/29/00 at 11:33 (033800)

As a certified fitness trainer, running coach, and director of a marathon training program, I have seen numerous cases of plantar fasciitis.

The information I pass on is not necessarily my own, but a culmination of data from folks who I have had contact with in our sport and in fitness.

One of the methods that has helped a large majority of sufferers has been the plantar massage. Interestingly enough, you don't have to purchase expensive 'tools' for this purpose (although the ones I've seen advertised would do well).

Most folks have a baseball bat around the house, and to roll your foot (feet) over the smaller section of the bat for 5 to 10 minutes in the morning, and at night prior to bed has been reported as being very beneficial. Once the symptoms of pain dissipate, and the folks are back to running/walking, they tend to keep their baseball bat handy for any sign of tension in the fascia and subsequently continue to keep the inflammation at bay.

Additionally, using a frozen can of orange juice (or whatever frozen product in a cylindrical form) gives the ice massage that has been popularly successful. Again, there are products on the market that provide this service, but your answer may be in your freezer...

If this helps anyone out there, great. I am NOT suggesting for a minute that you go against the diagnosis/treatment/prognosis of your doctor. I am NOT an MD. But to give yourself an opportunity to use some tried and true methods before submitting to a surgical procedure could be something you want to consider.

Best of luck,

Stay healthy, stay fit,

Ken Jenkins
DK Fitness Personal Trainer Services
Hampton Roads 'Jeff Galloway' Marathon Training Program Director

Re: Successful Conservative Treatment

Kevin B. on 11/29/00 at 15:09 (033812)

thank you. thank you a million times. i have just recently started with the massage therapy and it has been feeling a hundred times better. i feel like i am so close to being completely better, but i am gonna be careful and not run again for a while b/c i don't want it to come back. your article gives me a lot of help, obviously along with a lot of the other success stories i've read here. thank you again. sincerely, kevin

Nancy S. on 11/29/00 at 15:29 (033816)

Yay, Kevin! No, I'm not happy you can't run right now, but I'm happy if you give it a rest and that it sounds like you're thinking of your future well-being. That's great!
I've been on this board for too long, but I'm convinced that it's because I didn't get good treatment, and I didn't treat my feet right, soon enough after I developed PF. I think I may be becoming a success story, though -- I just don't want to see it take so long for you. You're doing the right things -- getting ultrasound and massage therapy (I think massage is extra important), and did you say you're having custom orthotics made? Swimming is in almost every case a great boost to healing PF.
I'm not a runner, so I don't know what my opinion is worth on that. But I think I'd want to be painfree for a good month, then ease back into running very slowly -- maybe by walking first to get your muscles and tendons back in shape, and I'd start the actual running very slowly too. Two miles sounds like way too much to start with. Ok, I'll stop now -- maybe a runner will get in here and have better, more specific advice for you. Just keep on giving it a rest, icing, stretching and stuff as long as they don't hurt, and massage massage massage, swim, swim, swim.
I think you're going to do fine with this, Kevin, as long as you don't push it too much too fast. Best of luck to you!
Nancy

bob on 11/30/00 at 00:38 (033839)

My doctor told me to stop running because of my PF.I stop in Sept. And my pain is almost imbearable now. The mornings are the worst. It goes all day long. From a dull pain to sharp shooting pains. My orthoics were a joke, and the therpy is not much better. I wish i could get better because the triathlon season is not too far away.

Bob G. on 11/30/00 at 02:04 (033843)

Bob, my guess is that you are too eager to get back at it.

I've been there and it was a struggle to just let it rest for a long time. During the rest period, the nightsplint helped the PF to heal itself a lot faster than otherwise. Do some research on that subject.

It's a lot of things, combination of things, no two people are alike, so you have to do some research and self monitoring.

Main thing for you right now is to stop whatever you are doing that is re-injuring your foot.

Since you are planning a triathlon I worry about you. You might want to concentrate on your PF and forget the triathlon for the time being, or your recovery may take much longer...

Kevin B. on 11/29/00 at 15:09 (033812)

thank you. thank you a million times. i have just recently started with the massage therapy and it has been feeling a hundred times better. i feel like i am so close to being completely better, but i am gonna be careful and not run again for a while b/c i don't want it to come back. your article gives me a lot of help, obviously along with a lot of the other success stories i've read here. thank you again. sincerely, kevin

Nancy S. on 11/29/00 at 15:29 (033816)

Yay, Kevin! No, I'm not happy you can't run right now, but I'm happy if you give it a rest and that it sounds like you're thinking of your future well-being. That's great!
I've been on this board for too long, but I'm convinced that it's because I didn't get good treatment, and I didn't treat my feet right, soon enough after I developed PF. I think I may be becoming a success story, though -- I just don't want to see it take so long for you. You're doing the right things -- getting ultrasound and massage therapy (I think massage is extra important), and did you say you're having custom orthotics made? Swimming is in almost every case a great boost to healing PF.
I'm not a runner, so I don't know what my opinion is worth on that. But I think I'd want to be painfree for a good month, then ease back into running very slowly -- maybe by walking first to get your muscles and tendons back in shape, and I'd start the actual running very slowly too. Two miles sounds like way too much to start with. Ok, I'll stop now -- maybe a runner will get in here and have better, more specific advice for you. Just keep on giving it a rest, icing, stretching and stuff as long as they don't hurt, and massage massage massage, swim, swim, swim.
I think you're going to do fine with this, Kevin, as long as you don't push it too much too fast. Best of luck to you!
Nancy

bob on 11/30/00 at 00:38 (033839)

My doctor told me to stop running because of my PF.I stop in Sept. And my pain is almost imbearable now. The mornings are the worst. It goes all day long. From a dull pain to sharp shooting pains. My orthoics were a joke, and the therpy is not much better. I wish i could get better because the triathlon season is not too far away.

Bob G. on 11/30/00 at 02:04 (033843)

Bob, my guess is that you are too eager to get back at it.

I've been there and it was a struggle to just let it rest for a long time. During the rest period, the nightsplint helped the PF to heal itself a lot faster than otherwise. Do some research on that subject.

It's a lot of things, combination of things, no two people are alike, so you have to do some research and self monitoring.

Main thing for you right now is to stop whatever you are doing that is re-injuring your foot.

Since you are planning a triathlon I worry about you. You might want to concentrate on your PF and forget the triathlon for the time being, or your recovery may take much longer...