Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes

Posted by Alecia P. on 11/29/00 at 12:24 (033805)

I am new to all of this Heel pain stuff, and i was wondering if anyone could make some casual shoe recommendations.

Re: Shoes

Beverly on 11/29/00 at 15:57 (033820)

Alecia,

The most popular shoe among us is the Birkenstock Arizona sandal. It has a scooped out/negative heel cup, arch support, a toe grip, and metatarsal (midfoot) support. It takes time to break them in, and you need to be properly fitted for them. If you get a bad fit, you'll hate them. If you get a good fit, they just might help you get on the road to recovery.
Go to a store that specializes in Birks or European walking shoes.
After you know your size, it's easy to order them cheaper off the net.

Since it is winter, you might like Birk's Boston clog better. Whatever you do, it is best to stay with Birk's 'classic' line at first. Not as stylish, but more PF people find relief from the classic line.

Other brands some like:
Mephesto: similar to a Birk but softer. Very expensive. The Mobil line is the most 'orthodic-like'.

Don't go barefooted. Get some good shower shoes or waterproof clogs for the bathroom/tub/shower.

Eccos: runs narrow. I have a pair of the men's Track 11. VERY expensive. Shocked me when I saw the price, but they are the only 'loafer' like shoe, I've been able to wear. They also come in a women's version. I got the men's version because Ecco's run narrow.

Dansko's: You'll either love em' or hate em'. Sandals, clogs, boots. Lots of arch support. More heel than these other shoes. Stay with their classic lines. Most popular: The Professional Clog. Lots of colors. I have their Meta Sandal and it is the closest thing to a 'dress' shoe I can wear.

Some people like Rockports. I didn't find them to have enough support. The main thing is to make sure the shoe DOES NOT bend at the arch. If you can bend the shoe at the arch, this is BAD for PF.
Best luck,
Beverly

Julie F on 11/29/00 at 17:01 (033825)

I agree with everything Beverly says about Birkenstocks and I love my Arizonas too, but the negative heel cup may not suit people with tight Achilles tendons who probably need a more elevated heel.

Glynis B on 11/29/00 at 19:37 (033828)

I have had my custom orthotics for about 4 weeks now. I feel there has been some improvement but nothing really significant. Am I being too impatient? My orthotics are made by Foot Levelers Inc. and are called Ultra Step. They are full length and soft. I now wear them all day in New Balance shoes.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/30/00 at 08:06 (033859)

Hi Glynis,
I am guessing that you received you inserts from a D.C. I am not a fan of Foot Levelers. I am not saying that they will not work for you, I hope they do. I have had patients referred to me with prescriptions to add arch fill in them. The ones that I have seen have collapsed very quickly in the arch...defeating the purpose. Most have had all these bumps, hills, and valleys built in for all this added 'support' which was not even necessary to begin with.

Sorry for the rant. I am trying to cut down on coffee. I am not coming down on you at all...so please don't think that. As I said before, I truly hope these work out for you. Since it has only been four weeks, you may want to contact the facility and ask about adjustments. Not that you need any right now, but for the possible future. Ask if it will cost anything.

I am happy that you like your New Balance. That is something that I love and use myself.

Good luck!
Richard

Glynis B on 12/10/00 at 19:49 (034622)

Yes my orthotics were prescribed by my chiropractor/acupuncturist. This is now a couple of weeks since my last message and I would have to say I am improving slowly, but I must wear my shoes at all times (except to bed of course!) or I cannot walk properly. I like to judge the degree of improvement by how easily I can walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night. It is getting easier most nights, and this past week being on my feet all day at work has been going pretty well. Will check in with another update in 3-4 weeks.

Glynis B on 12/10/00 at 20:01 (034626)

Yes my orthotics were prescribed by my chiropractor/acupuncturist. This is now a couple of weeks since my last message and I would have to say I am improving slowly, but I must wear my shoes at all times (except to bed of course!) or I cannot walk properly. I like to judge the degree of improvement by how easily I can walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night. It is getting easier most nights, and this past week being on my feet all day at work has been going pretty well. Will check in with another update in 3-4 weeks.

Beverly on 11/29/00 at 15:57 (033820)

Alecia,

The most popular shoe among us is the Birkenstock Arizona sandal. It has a scooped out/negative heel cup, arch support, a toe grip, and metatarsal (midfoot) support. It takes time to break them in, and you need to be properly fitted for them. If you get a bad fit, you'll hate them. If you get a good fit, they just might help you get on the road to recovery.
Go to a store that specializes in Birks or European walking shoes.
After you know your size, it's easy to order them cheaper off the net.

Since it is winter, you might like Birk's Boston clog better. Whatever you do, it is best to stay with Birk's 'classic' line at first. Not as stylish, but more PF people find relief from the classic line.

Other brands some like:
Mephesto: similar to a Birk but softer. Very expensive. The Mobil line is the most 'orthodic-like'.

Don't go barefooted. Get some good shower shoes or waterproof clogs for the bathroom/tub/shower.

Eccos: runs narrow. I have a pair of the men's Track 11. VERY expensive. Shocked me when I saw the price, but they are the only 'loafer' like shoe, I've been able to wear. They also come in a women's version. I got the men's version because Ecco's run narrow.

Dansko's: You'll either love em' or hate em'. Sandals, clogs, boots. Lots of arch support. More heel than these other shoes. Stay with their classic lines. Most popular: The Professional Clog. Lots of colors. I have their Meta Sandal and it is the closest thing to a 'dress' shoe I can wear.

Some people like Rockports. I didn't find them to have enough support. The main thing is to make sure the shoe DOES NOT bend at the arch. If you can bend the shoe at the arch, this is BAD for PF.
Best luck,
Beverly

Julie F on 11/29/00 at 17:01 (033825)

I agree with everything Beverly says about Birkenstocks and I love my Arizonas too, but the negative heel cup may not suit people with tight Achilles tendons who probably need a more elevated heel.

Glynis B on 11/29/00 at 19:37 (033828)

I have had my custom orthotics for about 4 weeks now. I feel there has been some improvement but nothing really significant. Am I being too impatient? My orthotics are made by Foot Levelers Inc. and are called Ultra Step. They are full length and soft. I now wear them all day in New Balance shoes.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/30/00 at 08:06 (033859)

Hi Glynis,
I am guessing that you received you inserts from a D.C. I am not a fan of Foot Levelers. I am not saying that they will not work for you, I hope they do. I have had patients referred to me with prescriptions to add arch fill in them. The ones that I have seen have collapsed very quickly in the arch...defeating the purpose. Most have had all these bumps, hills, and valleys built in for all this added 'support' which was not even necessary to begin with.

Sorry for the rant. I am trying to cut down on coffee. I am not coming down on you at all...so please don't think that. As I said before, I truly hope these work out for you. Since it has only been four weeks, you may want to contact the facility and ask about adjustments. Not that you need any right now, but for the possible future. Ask if it will cost anything.

I am happy that you like your New Balance. That is something that I love and use myself.

Good luck!
Richard

Glynis B on 12/10/00 at 19:49 (034622)

Glynis B on 12/10/00 at 20:01 (034626)