Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New orthotics for my son and I'm looking at custom birks

Posted by wendyn on 11/29/00 at 22:35 (033831)

Took 15 year old for new orthotics. We went to the podiatrist I saw back in the spring who I really liked. The whole appointment took about an hour. I was really impressed with his detailed examination and explanation of everything. I also really liked that fact that when he casted Eric's feet - HE casted them. The podiatrist I had before had an assistant do the casting.

I made an appointment to get casted for them myself when we go back in 2 weeks. They also make custom made Birks there - basically an orthotic casted foot bed. In a Birk. Cool. I like this idea even better than a plain old orthotic - so we'll see. Only problem is, I get some insurance coverage for orthotics and I don't know if they'll cover the Birks at all.

Re: New orthotics for my son and I'm looking at custom birks

Richard, C.Ped on 11/30/00 at 07:59 (033858)

Wendy,
I hope everything works out ok with your son. Have you checked your insurance to see if the shoes will be covered? Some insurance companies here will sometimes pay for custom shoes with a proper diagnosis. I hope it does up there.

I am also experimenting with custom footbed sandals from scratch. I am using my wife as a guinea pig. She is a nurse and has a bunion. If it can make her happy, well, you never know.

BTW, have you mailed that information that we spoke about? You asked me to remind you about it.

Richard

wendyn on 11/30/00 at 09:11 (033866)

Crap. Of course I forgot. Mind like a sieve.

I will write myself a reminder, and add it to the forest of yellow stickies on my desk. It will get there eventually.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/30/00 at 07:59 (033858)

Wendy,
I hope everything works out ok with your son. Have you checked your insurance to see if the shoes will be covered? Some insurance companies here will sometimes pay for custom shoes with a proper diagnosis. I hope it does up there.

I am also experimenting with custom footbed sandals from scratch. I am using my wife as a guinea pig. She is a nurse and has a bunion. If it can make her happy, well, you never know.

BTW, have you mailed that information that we spoke about? You asked me to remind you about it.

Richard

wendyn on 11/30/00 at 09:11 (033866)

Crap. Of course I forgot. Mind like a sieve.

I will write myself a reminder, and add it to the forest of yellow stickies on my desk. It will get there eventually.