Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birth control pills?

Posted by Carla D. on 11/30/00 at 11:44 (033873)

OK, a very weird question -- have you ever heard of birth control pills helping heel spurs or plantar fasciitis? Can you think of any reason why they could? It's probably a coincidence, but I've recently stopped taking the pill and now my heel is hurting again.
Thanks,
Carla

Re: Birth control pills?

Barb-NY on 12/01/00 at 13:29 (033973)

It may not be a coincidence. I have noticed that I feel worse during 'that time of the month'. I definately believe that hormones play a part in the pain process. A few months ago I read something on this board about progesterone playing an important part in pain reduction. Birth control pills are usually progesterone heavy...so this may account for your reduction in pain. Just a theory.

DR. Zuckerman on 12/01/00 at 13:40 (033977)

How about progesterone being in the steriod family. I would have to investigate what if any anti-imflammatory effects this human hormone plays if any at all. Made a list of any other possible things you have been doing such as trying to get pregenant can place alot of stress on the human body. What other activities and stressful changes in your life.

Carla D. on 12/01/00 at 14:17 (033981)

I haven't made any other changes, except having sex more! But I'm not on my feet at that time. :) Interesting to think progesterone could have that effect. Are others here using progesterone-only contraception such as norplant, depo-provera, or progestasert? Has it helped your heel pain?

Kim B. on 12/01/00 at 23:03 (034022)

Judy, My Internist (for my FM problems) believes that sex releases indorphins, that help with stress, which in turn, helps with pain sensitivities. There may be something chemical to it.

As far as the men, I've heard that sex burns calories so I guess it is a form of cardivascular exercise.

Kim B.

Re: Water Retention and Projesterone.

Kim B. on 12/01/00 at 23:57 (034023)

Carla,

I didn't agree when I saw the posting regarding the idea that progesterone could help with pain. For me, it made me feel bad.

I have Fibromyalgia (FM) which is an arthritis type chronic pain illness. I also had Endometriosis, for many years, prior to a major hysterectomy about a year and a half ago. They only left me one ovary, which btw, is attached to my abdominal wall (I think) and is still producing estrogen for me. (I'm 39.)

For my FM pain, We tried the gammet of therapies, one being HRT (Harmone replacement threapy). I had always gotten very ill from taking birth control pills over the years, (tried many kinds), so, for the HRT we used natural harmones (as opposed to synthetics) and they were dispensed seperately. On Days 1-12, when I HAD to take the projesterone, I felt horrible all over, and I grew to dread taking them. The testosterone and estrogen didn't bother me, btw, just the progesterone. This sort of explained why BC pills never agreed with me. It was probably the progesterone. Maybe I'm alergic to it, or maybe I produced too much anyway, I'm not sure. The physicans insisted that I had to take it to protect my uterous from cancers, since I was taking an increase of estrogen. The HRT was not successful in reducing the FM pain problems. So the thearapy was scrapped.

On the seperate issue of my endometriosis, I was on Depro-provera shots for a period of 6 months to lessen/stop my menstral cycles, to eliminate the endometriosis pain. It worked for the last 3 months of the therapy, but I hated the Depro shots anyway. They made me feel icky too. (Strong stuff, you know). It lessened my menstal pain simply because I was no longer menstrating. Oddly, when the endometriosis was at it's worse, the pain hurt very badly and all the the way down into my legs and feet. Probably swelling and compressed nerves kind of things. When I had the hysterectomy, the severly painful menstral cycles went away this time for good. Unfortunately, the PF or FM pain didn't btw, but it is easier to deal with two bad illnesses instead of three, so I feel it was a very benefical thing for my situation.

I think that menstration related WATER RETENTION is a big factor in pain. I think it may often be overlooked as being a major aggrevating factor. It puts additional pressure on everything, tissue, nerves, brain, everything.

I still have PF which may be FM related in my case, not sure yet. But it is under better control these days, with the help of time (almost 2 years), medications, learning helpful tips from the board, using the calf step stretch device, and other things.

Just thought, I'd share my personal experiences re: depro, endo, hysto, and most importantly, the water retention factor.

Good luck putting the pieces of the puzzel together, Kim B.

Dr.Zuckerman on 12/02/00 at 10:38 (034044)

I like the endorphin release idea. !!

Re: Natural Progesterone: To Carla D.

Barbara TX on 12/02/00 at 17:08 (034053)

Carla - there is a whole developing science that is exploring natural hormone replacement in the advent of hormone replacement for menopausal woman. It was found that progesterone helped menopausal symptoms greatly (hot flashes, night sweats mood problems). Many younger women are now taking natural 'precursors' to progesterone (your body responds to these chemicals as if they were your own progesterone) for PMS symptoms and postpartum anxiety, and extreme breast sensitivity. After childbirth there is a DRASTIC drop in progesterone, and moms typically go nuts temporarily - sometimes called 'the baby blues.' Simply, we need progesterone to balance our estrogen - especially when we live in a world where we are absorbing a lot of chemical estrogens from the environment. If you are overweight - fat cells store estrogen very efficiently and so this alone may cause hormone imbalance. If you suspect that you might need a little balance, you might try some natural progesterone creams available at any good health food store. The creams are typically extracted from the wild yam. Women tell me that they work! They might help you with inflammation, and would impact your system less than birth control pills (which are pretty heavy duty) and don't allow you to cycle naturally. They carry not a few risks to your health... read the inserts: they are about a mile long and pretty unsettling reading.

Anyway, I know all this stuff because my husband and I had to be certified as Natural Family Planning Promoters, and so I get asked a lot of questions on the phone from women who want to know about how hormones and chemicals can affect their fertility (or infertility). Whew! There is a lot of information out there and it is tough for women to sort through it.

So - hope that wasn't too long-winded. Hope that something helps you soon! B.

P.S. For more information on the effects of progesterone cream, you might want to read the popular books about the subject by John R. Lee MD.

Re: More Water Rentention Aspects

Kim B. on 12/03/00 at 11:12 (034082)

Barb NY, That time of the month causes water retention in many women. So it could have something to do with excess water. Also, when the moon is full it has an effect on the tide which also can affect the water presure in all of us. As you know Swelling is water or fluid around the pain source, it creates pressure. So Water is a pain factor. I can't explain it as well as a doc probably could, but hopefully you get the gest of what I'm trying to explain.

Regards, Kim B.

Barbara TX on 12/04/00 at 17:05 (034149)

Natural progesterone creams, I belive, are not progesterones, but progesterone precursors and MUCH less strong. Progesterone only pills (or any birth control pill) do not allow you to cycle naturally - that's how powerful they are. I would suggest to you that you need a few cycles off the pill to allow your body to adjust to its natural hormone levels to really gauge your pf pain and its relation to your cycle. Then, when you're off 'the pill' you can see at what time in your natural cycle the pf pain bothers you the most (when you ovulate, before or during your period, etc.). Then, if you find that your pain flares are cycle related, try the natural creams only during that time. Many menopausal women use these creams on and off only at certain times (like, 7 days on, 21 days off) to mimic a natural cycle so they don't have to do estrogen-replacement therapies to get relief. I am of the opinion that hormone replacement or artificial hormones (like the pill) carry too many risks and discomforts for women to use safely. Women like you, Carla, who have problems with articifial hormones are the NORM rather than the exception.

Finally, I would recommend that anyone who has trouble with artificial contraception to try the new and improved fertility awareness systems (these are definately NOT the old rythmn method), especially if you are taking a lot of other drugs for your PF pains/surgeries. Try it; you'll like it, and be pleasantly surprised (as I was) at all its health and emotional benefits. E-me if you are curious about some of the systems that I know of and the one that I recommend and teach. There are lots.

Keep pursuing a way to rid yourself of this pf pain. It is sometimes a long, boring, frustrating odyssey! I've been there and done that! B.

Barb-NY on 12/01/00 at 13:29 (033973)

It may not be a coincidence. I have noticed that I feel worse during 'that time of the month'. I definately believe that hormones play a part in the pain process. A few months ago I read something on this board about progesterone playing an important part in pain reduction. Birth control pills are usually progesterone heavy...so this may account for your reduction in pain. Just a theory.

DR. Zuckerman on 12/01/00 at 13:40 (033977)

How about progesterone being in the steriod family. I would have to investigate what if any anti-imflammatory effects this human hormone plays if any at all. Made a list of any other possible things you have been doing such as trying to get pregenant can place alot of stress on the human body. What other activities and stressful changes in your life.

Carla D. on 12/01/00 at 14:17 (033981)

I haven't made any other changes, except having sex more! But I'm not on my feet at that time. :) Interesting to think progesterone could have that effect. Are others here using progesterone-only contraception such as norplant, depo-provera, or progestasert? Has it helped your heel pain?

Kim B. on 12/01/00 at 23:03 (034022)

Judy, My Internist (for my FM problems) believes that sex releases indorphins, that help with stress, which in turn, helps with pain sensitivities. There may be something chemical to it.

As far as the men, I've heard that sex burns calories so I guess it is a form of cardivascular exercise.

Kim B.

Re: Water Retention and Projesterone.

Kim B. on 12/01/00 at 23:57 (034023)

Carla,

I didn't agree when I saw the posting regarding the idea that progesterone could help with pain. For me, it made me feel bad.

I have Fibromyalgia (FM) which is an arthritis type chronic pain illness. I also had Endometriosis, for many years, prior to a major hysterectomy about a year and a half ago. They only left me one ovary, which btw, is attached to my abdominal wall (I think) and is still producing estrogen for me. (I'm 39.)

For my FM pain, We tried the gammet of therapies, one being HRT (Harmone replacement threapy). I had always gotten very ill from taking birth control pills over the years, (tried many kinds), so, for the HRT we used natural harmones (as opposed to synthetics) and they were dispensed seperately. On Days 1-12, when I HAD to take the projesterone, I felt horrible all over, and I grew to dread taking them. The testosterone and estrogen didn't bother me, btw, just the progesterone. This sort of explained why BC pills never agreed with me. It was probably the progesterone. Maybe I'm alergic to it, or maybe I produced too much anyway, I'm not sure. The physicans insisted that I had to take it to protect my uterous from cancers, since I was taking an increase of estrogen. The HRT was not successful in reducing the FM pain problems. So the thearapy was scrapped.

On the seperate issue of my endometriosis, I was on Depro-provera shots for a period of 6 months to lessen/stop my menstral cycles, to eliminate the endometriosis pain. It worked for the last 3 months of the therapy, but I hated the Depro shots anyway. They made me feel icky too. (Strong stuff, you know). It lessened my menstal pain simply because I was no longer menstrating. Oddly, when the endometriosis was at it's worse, the pain hurt very badly and all the the way down into my legs and feet. Probably swelling and compressed nerves kind of things. When I had the hysterectomy, the severly painful menstral cycles went away this time for good. Unfortunately, the PF or FM pain didn't btw, but it is easier to deal with two bad illnesses instead of three, so I feel it was a very benefical thing for my situation.

I think that menstration related WATER RETENTION is a big factor in pain. I think it may often be overlooked as being a major aggrevating factor. It puts additional pressure on everything, tissue, nerves, brain, everything.

I still have PF which may be FM related in my case, not sure yet. But it is under better control these days, with the help of time (almost 2 years), medications, learning helpful tips from the board, using the calf step stretch device, and other things.

Just thought, I'd share my personal experiences re: depro, endo, hysto, and most importantly, the water retention factor.

Good luck putting the pieces of the puzzel together, Kim B.

Dr.Zuckerman on 12/02/00 at 10:38 (034044)

I like the endorphin release idea. !!

Barbara TX on 12/02/00 at 17:08 (034053)

Carla - there is a whole developing science that is exploring natural hormone replacement in the advent of hormone replacement for menopausal woman. It was found that progesterone helped menopausal symptoms greatly (hot flashes, night sweats mood problems). Many younger women are now taking natural 'precursors' to progesterone (your body responds to these chemicals as if they were your own progesterone) for PMS symptoms and postpartum anxiety, and extreme breast sensitivity. After childbirth there is a DRASTIC drop in progesterone, and moms typically go nuts temporarily - sometimes called 'the baby blues.' Simply, we need progesterone to balance our estrogen - especially when we live in a world where we are absorbing a lot of chemical estrogens from the environment. If you are overweight - fat cells store estrogen very efficiently and so this alone may cause hormone imbalance. If you suspect that you might need a little balance, you might try some natural progesterone creams available at any good health food store. The creams are typically extracted from the wild yam. Women tell me that they work! They might help you with inflammation, and would impact your system less than birth control pills (which are pretty heavy duty) and don't allow you to cycle naturally. They carry not a few risks to your health... read the inserts: they are about a mile long and pretty unsettling reading.

Anyway, I know all this stuff because my husband and I had to be certified as Natural Family Planning Promoters, and so I get asked a lot of questions on the phone from women who want to know about how hormones and chemicals can affect their fertility (or infertility). Whew! There is a lot of information out there and it is tough for women to sort through it.

So - hope that wasn't too long-winded. Hope that something helps you soon! B.

P.S. For more information on the effects of progesterone cream, you might want to read the popular books about the subject by John R. Lee MD.

Re: More Water Rentention Aspects

Kim B. on 12/03/00 at 11:12 (034082)

Barb NY, That time of the month causes water retention in many women. So it could have something to do with excess water. Also, when the moon is full it has an effect on the tide which also can affect the water presure in all of us. As you know Swelling is water or fluid around the pain source, it creates pressure. So Water is a pain factor. I can't explain it as well as a doc probably could, but hopefully you get the gest of what I'm trying to explain.

Regards, Kim B.

Barbara TX on 12/04/00 at 17:05 (034149)

Natural progesterone creams, I belive, are not progesterones, but progesterone precursors and MUCH less strong. Progesterone only pills (or any birth control pill) do not allow you to cycle naturally - that's how powerful they are. I would suggest to you that you need a few cycles off the pill to allow your body to adjust to its natural hormone levels to really gauge your pf pain and its relation to your cycle. Then, when you're off 'the pill' you can see at what time in your natural cycle the pf pain bothers you the most (when you ovulate, before or during your period, etc.). Then, if you find that your pain flares are cycle related, try the natural creams only during that time. Many menopausal women use these creams on and off only at certain times (like, 7 days on, 21 days off) to mimic a natural cycle so they don't have to do estrogen-replacement therapies to get relief. I am of the opinion that hormone replacement or artificial hormones (like the pill) carry too many risks and discomforts for women to use safely. Women like you, Carla, who have problems with articifial hormones are the NORM rather than the exception.

Finally, I would recommend that anyone who has trouble with artificial contraception to try the new and improved fertility awareness systems (these are definately NOT the old rythmn method), especially if you are taking a lot of other drugs for your PF pains/surgeries. Try it; you'll like it, and be pleasantly surprised (as I was) at all its health and emotional benefits. E-me if you are curious about some of the systems that I know of and the one that I recommend and teach. There are lots.

Keep pursuing a way to rid yourself of this pf pain. It is sometimes a long, boring, frustrating odyssey! I've been there and done that! B.