Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm walking again!..night splits to thank

Posted by Jan on 12/01/00 at 16:49 (034000)

I posted a month ago with a positive status report but at that point was only noticing a slight improvment. I'm posting again for those of you who haven't yet tried night splints. THEY WORK.
I've been in them for 2 months...yesterday I walked the dog in the park (1 hour) AND went to the mall (for 2 hours) for the first time in over a year. I have gone antiquing last 3 week-ends in a row.
I still have some soreness (about a 3 of 10) but I ice before bed when I overdo it and sleep in my spints. By morning, I'm pain free.

I have tried everything but cortisone shots and still have a wheelchair in my car but seem to have graduated from it.

If you haven't tried splints ask your doctor for a pair. Insurance should cover them. I had to increase the angle (more dorsiflexion) on mine but that's up to you. I had noticed some improvement at their original angle as well.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact me directly at: jcooper@gers.com . I am in no way affiliated with splint manufacturers or sales. I'm just happy to have my life back and hope to help others.

Good luck to all of you and have faith, it gets better.

Re: I'm walking again!..night splits to thank

alan k on 12/01/00 at 17:00 (034001)

That's great news. Do be patient and continue with the angle that is proving effective. It is possible to overdo it and cause damage, including nerve damage, with too much dorsiflexion.

alan k

Re: NightSplints didn't work for me, everyone is different.

Kim B. on 12/01/00 at 18:03 (034003)

Jan,

That's great news for you! Nightsplints were not the right remedy for me though, which goes to show that each person's case will respond to different things. This illness is so difficult because it is a constant effort to find what is best for each individual's situation.

I have had great results with the Calf Step Stretch device, ($29) available at http://www.feelgoodfast.com and at the http://www.intellihealth.com shop/store. I've seen at a few other places too. This stretching device puts your foot in a proper position for a good calf stretch, which seems to keep us from stretching in a way that is wrong, and could do more harm than good. The small handbook that comes with it explains exactly how to use it, pictures and everything. I know it plays a big part in my progress, because, if I skip using it for too many days in a row, I can feel the pain starting to come back. But once I get back on my program, it puts it at bay again. I highly recommend the Step Stretch to those who are still looking for something that might help them deal with this problem.

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 12/01/00 at 20:57 (034011)

Congratulations, Jan!

I am pleased that you were able to wear the NightSplint and find progress. The NightSplint was instrumental in my recovery, also! I like to wear the StrassbergSock and the NightSplint together at the same time - makes for more comfort. BG

Re: I'm walking again!..night splints to thank

Bob G. on 12/02/00 at 02:04 (034026)

Thank you, Nancy!

I am very fortunate. However, if I am not careful the pain can come back.

Stretching is important, and wearing the right gear.

Also, what you eat and how much you eat has an effect on recovery. BG

Re: I'm walking again, first night with splint

mrbob on 12/02/00 at 07:08 (034037)

I just got my night splint. The first night i could already tell a difference. Iam looking foward to better days ahead. I think this may be the answer. Ill keep you posted

Barbara TX on 12/02/00 at 17:14 (034054)

Here here! That is wonderful news, and I echo Alan about the night splints and nerve damage. This was the case with me, and I'm still recovering from it. I think that the rule should be to set your splint to an angle that does not cause discomfort. I did not obey that rule and cranked my feet into the splints until they were numb. I kid you not. The tip of my big toe is still a little numb... I was justy overzealous to have something work. B.

alan k on 12/01/00 at 17:00 (034001)

That's great news. Do be patient and continue with the angle that is proving effective. It is possible to overdo it and cause damage, including nerve damage, with too much dorsiflexion.

alan k

Re: NightSplints didn't work for me, everyone is different.

Kim B. on 12/01/00 at 18:03 (034003)

Jan,

That's great news for you! Nightsplints were not the right remedy for me though, which goes to show that each person's case will respond to different things. This illness is so difficult because it is a constant effort to find what is best for each individual's situation.

I have had great results with the Calf Step Stretch device, ($29) available at http://www.feelgoodfast.com and at the http://www.intellihealth.com shop/store. I've seen at a few other places too. This stretching device puts your foot in a proper position for a good calf stretch, which seems to keep us from stretching in a way that is wrong, and could do more harm than good. The small handbook that comes with it explains exactly how to use it, pictures and everything. I know it plays a big part in my progress, because, if I skip using it for too many days in a row, I can feel the pain starting to come back. But once I get back on my program, it puts it at bay again. I highly recommend the Step Stretch to those who are still looking for something that might help them deal with this problem.

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 12/01/00 at 20:57 (034011)

Congratulations, Jan!

I am pleased that you were able to wear the NightSplint and find progress. The NightSplint was instrumental in my recovery, also! I like to wear the StrassbergSock and the NightSplint together at the same time - makes for more comfort. BG

Re: I'm walking again!..night splints to thank

Bob G. on 12/02/00 at 02:04 (034026)

Thank you, Nancy!

I am very fortunate. However, if I am not careful the pain can come back.

Stretching is important, and wearing the right gear.

Also, what you eat and how much you eat has an effect on recovery. BG

Re: I'm walking again, first night with splint

mrbob on 12/02/00 at 07:08 (034037)

I just got my night splint. The first night i could already tell a difference. Iam looking foward to better days ahead. I think this may be the answer. Ill keep you posted

Barbara TX on 12/02/00 at 17:14 (034054)

Here here! That is wonderful news, and I echo Alan about the night splints and nerve damage. This was the case with me, and I'm still recovering from it. I think that the rule should be to set your splint to an angle that does not cause discomfort. I did not obey that rule and cranked my feet into the splints until they were numb. I kid you not. The tip of my big toe is still a little numb... I was justy overzealous to have something work. B.