Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF for 1 1/2 years, what's the next step?

Posted by TonyO on 12/01/00 at 18:43 (034005)

I'm glad I found this site. I've had PF for approximately 18 months. I had the custom orthotics poured in July and wear them religiously. I stretch, ice and take Ibuprofin but regardless I still have pain (this is only in my left foot). Now my doc has me at weekly ultrasound treatment. After 6 treatments I'm no better. I feel like I'm doing everything right, what's next?

Re: PF for 1 1/2 years, what's the next step?

Julie F on 12/02/00 at 02:47 (034027)

Hi Tony

I'm glad you found this site too. I think everyone who has found it is!

You say you feel like you're doing everything right, but you've not mentioned one of the main things: your activities. Aee you staying off your feet as much as possible so that the injury can heal? No running, not much walking, substituting non-weight-bearing exercise like swimming for weight-bearing? Weight-bearing stretching, contrary to the advice almost everyone is given, isn't right for everyone and has resulted in setbacks for some. Also it could just be that ibuprofen is 'working' in the sense that it masks the pain so that you overdo things.

These are just speculations, but it might be worth considering them. The main thing is rest. If you're quite sure that you've 'been good' in that respect, after 18 months you may be a candidate for ESWT. You can find out about it on this board, or by getting in touch with Kate in Dr Zuckerman's office - she posts frequently on this board (and has just had the treatment, very successfully, herself).

All the best

Julie

Dr. Biehler on 12/02/00 at 18:09 (034062)

After 18 months it is probably not an inflamatory problem anymore. If you are still doing the PT ( without positive results), mabe you should conside stopping the ultrasound and have them do the electrical thearpy. There is a chance this might jump start the healing process of your fascia that seems to have be arrested. Dr. B.

Darrel H on 12/02/00 at 19:30 (034066)

Hey Tony, Your situation sounds almost exactly like mine. I Had a partial plantar faciits release just 10 days ago and the only pain I have is from the surgery itself, so far, I feel none of the pains I used to feel. Give my left foot 4 weeks more of good slow healing and I'm truly expecting a 100% recovery with no pain. If you decide to go this way find a doctor who will perform it orthoscopiclly. Good luck

TonyO on 12/04/00 at 11:03 (034135)

Thanks Darrel, Dr. Biehler and Julie! It really is great to get some feedback. I feel like a chronic complainer over the past 18 months. Dr. Biehler, I'll suggest the Electric therapy to my PT, and Darrel, I'll talk to my Dr. about EWST, it's worth a mention. Julie, thanks for the suggestions, I feel like I've been pretty good staying off it (I broke my right ankle a year ago and that kind of forced me to take it easy). I'll report back as soon as I hear more! Thanks again.

Julie F on 12/04/00 at 16:50 (034147)

Tony, it was me who mentioned ESWT. There might not be much point in talking to your doctor about it - he might not have heard of it or, if he has, might not know much about it. Do call Kate in Dr Zuckerman's office - the telephone number is on the 'Extremely Tired of the Pain' Thread on the Treatments message board. As she has just told Jeanine, you shouldn't even think of surgery until you have tried ESWT, which is non-invasive and by all reports has a better success rate than surgery.

All the best, Julie

john h on 12/07/00 at 09:59 (034408)

have you seen a second doctor to confirm your diagnosis of plantar fasciaitis? are you seeing a podiatrist or orthopedic physician who specializes in foot and ankle problems? just make sure you are confident in your diagnosis. do you have bad 1st step pain when you get up in the morning? exactly where is the pain located? do you have a heel spur?

Julie F on 12/02/00 at 02:47 (034027)

Hi Tony

I'm glad you found this site too. I think everyone who has found it is!

You say you feel like you're doing everything right, but you've not mentioned one of the main things: your activities. Aee you staying off your feet as much as possible so that the injury can heal? No running, not much walking, substituting non-weight-bearing exercise like swimming for weight-bearing? Weight-bearing stretching, contrary to the advice almost everyone is given, isn't right for everyone and has resulted in setbacks for some. Also it could just be that ibuprofen is 'working' in the sense that it masks the pain so that you overdo things.

These are just speculations, but it might be worth considering them. The main thing is rest. If you're quite sure that you've 'been good' in that respect, after 18 months you may be a candidate for ESWT. You can find out about it on this board, or by getting in touch with Kate in Dr Zuckerman's office - she posts frequently on this board (and has just had the treatment, very successfully, herself).

All the best

Julie

Dr. Biehler on 12/02/00 at 18:09 (034062)

After 18 months it is probably not an inflamatory problem anymore. If you are still doing the PT ( without positive results), mabe you should conside stopping the ultrasound and have them do the electrical thearpy. There is a chance this might jump start the healing process of your fascia that seems to have be arrested. Dr. B.

Darrel H on 12/02/00 at 19:30 (034066)

Hey Tony, Your situation sounds almost exactly like mine. I Had a partial plantar faciits release just 10 days ago and the only pain I have is from the surgery itself, so far, I feel none of the pains I used to feel. Give my left foot 4 weeks more of good slow healing and I'm truly expecting a 100% recovery with no pain. If you decide to go this way find a doctor who will perform it orthoscopiclly. Good luck

TonyO on 12/04/00 at 11:03 (034135)

Thanks Darrel, Dr. Biehler and Julie! It really is great to get some feedback. I feel like a chronic complainer over the past 18 months. Dr. Biehler, I'll suggest the Electric therapy to my PT, and Darrel, I'll talk to my Dr. about EWST, it's worth a mention. Julie, thanks for the suggestions, I feel like I've been pretty good staying off it (I broke my right ankle a year ago and that kind of forced me to take it easy). I'll report back as soon as I hear more! Thanks again.

Julie F on 12/04/00 at 16:50 (034147)

Tony, it was me who mentioned ESWT. There might not be much point in talking to your doctor about it - he might not have heard of it or, if he has, might not know much about it. Do call Kate in Dr Zuckerman's office - the telephone number is on the 'Extremely Tired of the Pain' Thread on the Treatments message board. As she has just told Jeanine, you shouldn't even think of surgery until you have tried ESWT, which is non-invasive and by all reports has a better success rate than surgery.

All the best, Julie

john h on 12/07/00 at 09:59 (034408)

have you seen a second doctor to confirm your diagnosis of plantar fasciaitis? are you seeing a podiatrist or orthopedic physician who specializes in foot and ankle problems? just make sure you are confident in your diagnosis. do you have bad 1st step pain when you get up in the morning? exactly where is the pain located? do you have a heel spur?