Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stiff soles

Posted by davidb on 12/04/00 at 08:55 (034128)

The latest pair of PW Minor shoes I purchased came with extremely stiff and hard rubber soles--much stiffer than my previous pairs. I've been having some trouble breaking them in (arch pain). My pedorthist said if I can manage to break them in, stiff soles (which only bend at the ball of the feet) are the best for PF. Is he right? Should I try to break them in or should I return them and have a slightly less stiff sole put on them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: stiff soles

Richard, C.Ped on 12/04/00 at 12:07 (034140)

Hi David. Your C.Ped is right. PW makes great shoes. I have noticed that the shoes I have ordered lately have very stiff soles as well. I make sure to tell my patients to give them a good break in period. It may take a few weeks, depending on how severe the PF has become. If you have not already, try to only wear the shoes on the carpet in your home. I will let patients/customers do this to see if they like the shoes. If not, they can return them. See if your guy will let you do that.

I know the how much PW's can cost. Did your insurance company pay anything for the shoes? Just curious.
Richard
Richard

davidb on 12/04/00 at 12:33 (034143)

No, my insurance company didn't pay anything, but they are covering my orthotics and physical therapy. This is the third pair of PW's I have and if worse comes to worse, I can have the sole replaced with a slightly less stiff one. I liked your idea of only wearing them on carpeting to help break them in. I tried wearing the new shoes with the new orthotics on a trip to the grocery store last week. BIG MISTAKE. Thanks for the advice.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/04/00 at 12:07 (034140)

Hi David. Your C.Ped is right. PW makes great shoes. I have noticed that the shoes I have ordered lately have very stiff soles as well. I make sure to tell my patients to give them a good break in period. It may take a few weeks, depending on how severe the PF has become. If you have not already, try to only wear the shoes on the carpet in your home. I will let patients/customers do this to see if they like the shoes. If not, they can return them. See if your guy will let you do that.

I know the how much PW's can cost. Did your insurance company pay anything for the shoes? Just curious.
Richard
Richard

davidb on 12/04/00 at 12:33 (034143)

No, my insurance company didn't pay anything, but they are covering my orthotics and physical therapy. This is the third pair of PW's I have and if worse comes to worse, I can have the sole replaced with a slightly less stiff one. I liked your idea of only wearing them on carpeting to help break them in. I tried wearing the new shoes with the new orthotics on a trip to the grocery store last week. BIG MISTAKE. Thanks for the advice.