Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birth-control pills and surgery

Posted by Elizabeth on 12/04/00 at 11:37 (034137)

Hello,

I'm going to be having a bone spur removed, and the doctors are using a regional anaesthesia. I'm also taking Ortho-Tricyclen. They have said not to take anti-inflammatories for two weeks before the surgery because of possible blood clotting... does that go for birth control too? The nurse I talked to said it would be no problem to continue taking the pills, but I wanted to check here as well, just in case.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Re: Birth-control pills and surgery

Kay S on 12/04/00 at 19:14 (034159)

The reason you are to be off antiinflammatories is because they are similar to aspirin and in some people cause bleeding tendencies, although for what you are having I don't think it would be that big a deal. You can safely continue your BCP. I work in Same Day Surgery and our anesthesiologists have people taking most of their normal medications on the day of surgery. I hope that helps.

Kim B. on 12/04/00 at 21:25 (034167)

Elizabeth,

I agree with Kay completely. Stay with your BC pills. The last thing you or the doctors want is a tiny little embrio accidentally and without anyone's knowledge planted in your uterous while you are going through a surgery. You'll probably be on pain killers for a while afterward too, which wouldn't be good for a forming fetus either. (Unless the docs are aware and take the proper precautions.)

Besides, discontinueing them would probably disrupt your cycles and you would probably start menstrating a few days after stopping. Then you'll be recovering from the surgery and trying to re-regulate your female system. Too much to handle at one time.

Asprin and anti-inflammatories thin the blood and could cause excessive bleeding. They just don't want un-expected troubles during the surgery. It sounds like Kay knows what she's talking about. As for me, I've had lots of surgeries, and seldom, if ever, have they ever had me miss a dose of something important like a BC would be considered.

Good luck with your surgery. And remember this: Proper healing afterward is VERY important to the end result. So take it easy as much and for as long as you possibly can. It will lessen the amount of scar tissue you have to deal with and help avoid complications.

Regards, Kim B.

Elizabeth on 12/05/00 at 11:03 (034204)

Thank you both! You've eased my mind.

-Elizabeth

Kay S on 12/04/00 at 19:14 (034159)

The reason you are to be off antiinflammatories is because they are similar to aspirin and in some people cause bleeding tendencies, although for what you are having I don't think it would be that big a deal. You can safely continue your BCP. I work in Same Day Surgery and our anesthesiologists have people taking most of their normal medications on the day of surgery. I hope that helps.

Kim B. on 12/04/00 at 21:25 (034167)

Elizabeth,

I agree with Kay completely. Stay with your BC pills. The last thing you or the doctors want is a tiny little embrio accidentally and without anyone's knowledge planted in your uterous while you are going through a surgery. You'll probably be on pain killers for a while afterward too, which wouldn't be good for a forming fetus either. (Unless the docs are aware and take the proper precautions.)

Besides, discontinueing them would probably disrupt your cycles and you would probably start menstrating a few days after stopping. Then you'll be recovering from the surgery and trying to re-regulate your female system. Too much to handle at one time.

Asprin and anti-inflammatories thin the blood and could cause excessive bleeding. They just don't want un-expected troubles during the surgery. It sounds like Kay knows what she's talking about. As for me, I've had lots of surgeries, and seldom, if ever, have they ever had me miss a dose of something important like a BC would be considered.

Good luck with your surgery. And remember this: Proper healing afterward is VERY important to the end result. So take it easy as much and for as long as you possibly can. It will lessen the amount of scar tissue you have to deal with and help avoid complications.

Regards, Kim B.

Elizabeth on 12/05/00 at 11:03 (034204)

Thank you both! You've eased my mind.

-Elizabeth