Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock footprints boots

Posted by Lori E. on 12/04/00 at 17:09 (034150)

Richard,
I am looking for some input on an idea I have. I live in snowy, cold MN and am hoping to get some hikng boots for the winter. I contacted the German birks site about their Calgary boots.(They are only available in Germany, I checked for them here in the US)
The boots are part of the Footprints line. I asked them if a Tatami footbed would work in the Calgary boot. They tried it out and wrote me that they thought it might work, but they don't want to offically recommend doing that since the Tatami footbed isn't made for the boot. Can you see any reason why I shouldn't put my Tatami footbed into the Footprint boot? I haven't had any luck with any other Birkenstock shoes besides the Tatami line( I tried the Arizona and the Betula sandals.) My feet are fairly narrow, and the Tatami footbed fits my arch and foot to a tee. Thanks for your advice.

Re: Birkenstock footprints boots

alan k on 12/04/00 at 18:22 (034157)

If you get narrow size boots, if they are available, and the footbed fits well enough in the boot that it doesn't slide around, perhaps that might work. I guess you already know that the footprint insert is very different than that which comes with sandals, and isn't anywhere near as supportive.

alan k

Richard, C.Ped on 12/05/00 at 08:25 (034190)

Lori, I agree with Alan. Fitting your foot is one thing, but make sure the insert fits the shoe. It should not slide around. That will not do your foot any good. The company told you they did not recommend changing footbeds because they do not want to be liable if it hurts your foot. Can't blame them for that. If you decide to order, see if they will let you return everything if it does not feel right to you.

Have you tried the Tatami footbed in other boots? You might want to try that as well. If you try on boots in the store, see if their footbeds remove easily. If so, try the Tatami in those. What you have currently is a footbed that fits your foot (to at T). What you need is a warm boot.

.........you do currently have the Tatami footbed...right?
Richard

Lori E. on 12/05/00 at 13:00 (034215)

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have two pair of Tatami shoes. I was thinking I would order an extra pair of Tatami footbeds when I order my boots. They said that they fit in the boot okay.

Re: So could I change a Tatami into a Classic?

Beverly on 12/05/00 at 15:08 (034226)

I didn't know you could change the footbeds. I know about the custom adjustments, but I didn't realize entire footbeds on Birks can be switched.
Does this mean I could take one of the more fashionable Tatami's or Footprints and change it to a classic footbed? The classic footbed is the only one I find comfortable. Would it be a removable footbed or stuck in there?
Thanks,
Beverly

Lori E. on 12/05/00 at 17:31 (034233)

I have two pair of the Tatami hand-sewn shoes. The footbeds in those shoes are removable, and I gather from my notes back and forth with the Birkenstock people that the footbed in the footprint boots is removable too. The hand-sewn Tatamis have a rubber sole that the footbed fits into. The footbed in the Birkies clogs is removable too.

alan k on 12/05/00 at 18:56 (034245)

As far as I know, the classic footbed is not removable in any of the classic sandals. Were it removable, or were one removable, it probably would not fit in a tatami sole because the shape is different, especially because tatami's are narrower. A classic footbed might fit in a footprint boot or shoe because the shape (but not the arch/form) is very similar between footprints and classic) Perhaps someone has more info on this.

The birki clog removable footbeds are not the same in form as the classics, and are rather flat like the footprints. I use birkis in the shower because even though they are not as good for me as the classic, they are still better than a flat plastic sandal or something.

I was very excited by my rubber 'massage sandals' for a while, but then found that they had led me to a set-back, some long while back. That could have been a coincidence that I experienced a set back while wearing them, but I don't think so. Of course, one person's experience doesn't mean much for evaluating these massage sandals. I did not try the birkenstock massage sandals, which have the birk shape, roughly, but perhaps I will some day.

alan k

Lori E. on 12/05/00 at 21:08 (034259)

I had a hard time with the Birkie massage sandals too! I just couldn't get comfortable in them. Those nubs were too hard, and they hurt. I found that the Tatami shoes are the only birk for me as far as the footbed goes.

As far as any other footbed switching questions I would recommend e-mailing the birkenstock-cn.com staff and see what they say. I just wanted to know what Richard thought of the idea since buying any birks is an investment.

Julie F on 12/06/00 at 03:37 (034281)

Lori, do you have a narrow foot? I like the look of the Tatamis on the website, but am apprehensive about trying them because they are said to run narrower than the classic Birkenstocks (which suit me). I have a wide foot. I'm also told that the Tatamis have a deeper heel bed - do you (or does anyone) find that this strains the achilles tendon?

Alan, I have a pair of Birkies that I thought were ok in the shop but now can't wear because after a few minutes they dig into my bunion. So you know if there is there any way of stretching/easing them?

alan k on 12/06/00 at 03:52 (034282)

The birki inserts seems to me to be pretty firm. They don't conform to the feet the way the classic or tatami footbeds do.

You could try taking a razor type blade to them and cutting off the part that is rubbing up against the bunion. I don't know whether that would cause them to fall apart eventually.

yours,

alan k

Richard, C.Ped on 12/06/00 at 07:42 (034289)

Hi Julie. I know your question was directed to Alan, so I hope you don't mind me adding my comment. I would suggest trying to stretch them first. A shoe repair shop or its equal, could easily do this with a stretching device, water, and a heat gun. My father-in-law and business partner, Mike, has a patent on a device he and Sean use to stretch ski boots. I use the same tool to stretch shoes. It is curved like the ball of the foot, so you get a 'smooth' stretch.

I have quite a bit of experience dealing with bunions. I have heard how painful they can be. I hope you are able to do something with the shoe.

I just thought of this. Have you had your feet measured for proper width lately? Make sure you have the correct size shoe. Don't go wider just to acommodate the bunion. You don't want to be sliding around in the shoe if you have PF.

Richard

Julie F on 12/06/00 at 09:01 (034297)

Thanks, Alan. I might try that. Or maybe take a bit of sandpaper to it.

What are you doing up in the middle of the night?

Julie F on 12/06/00 at 09:11 (034299)

Hi Richard

Many thanks for your reply. I addressed my query to Alan because he mentioned having a pair of Birkies but all advice is welcome and I'm grateful for your input. I don't know if the Birkies can be stretched: they are a cheap Birkenstock line, made of a plasticky material, not a living material like leather (I think it's called birkoflor or something similar). It doesn't seem to have much give in it. But I'll take them up to our local shoeshop and see what they can do.

My bunion isn't painful except when it has a quarrel with an unyielding material. (I have never been able to get comfortable with a pair of proper leather hiking boots for this reason, and so I do all my walking in Crete in trainers (you call them sneakers - so did I till I emigrated in 1961) with lots of cushioning and support. Crete is all STONES - small, medium and large, very hard on the feet. But my Adidas trainers are the best protection I've been able to find.)

All the best to you,

Julie

Lori E. on 12/06/00 at 14:53 (034330)

I guess you could say I have a somewhat narrow foot. They are a B width. But I have a somewhat typical female foot in which my heel and ball of my foot are narrower than a man's. I didn't know until this year that women's shoes are usually made with a narrower heel than men's shoes. I just can't wear men's shoes because I am sloshing around in them. I made the mistake of buying men's hiking boots a few years ago and no matter how tightly I laced them they were still loose. That is why I tried the Tatamis. I also like the fact that they have straps that you can adjust too. It helps when I now have to wear thick winter socks.
So it's not really that I have a really narrow foot(like a AA) it's just that I have a narrow heel and ball with a high arch. That is why I want to try a Tatami footbed in the Calgary boots. My Dad and I were talking about my feet and he was surprized when he saw how high my arch is.

Re: Birki/bunion update

Julie F on 12/06/00 at 15:48 (034339)

Richard, I've just tried experimenting with the straps of the Birkies again to see if I could improve matters. In every hole, and even with the front strap completely undone, they still insulted the bunion. I've concluded that the fault (for my feet, anyway) is in the material and/or the way the sandal is constructed and the way it bends (and, as Alan says, they don't conform to the foot the way the classics do). And that I've wasted my money. Maybe this information is useful.

Now I think I'll tackle Birkenstock and see what excuse they have to offer!

Julie

Richard, C.Ped on 12/07/00 at 08:10 (034386)

Sorry about that. I am not sure what the shoe looks like.

Insulted the bunion.....I like that. I am going to start using that phrase with my bunion patients.

Good luck.
Richard

Julie F on 12/07/00 at 08:58 (034395)

Hi Richard

It's called the Birki Barbados and looks, but isn't, very like the classic Arizona which my bunion and I get on perfectly well with. They'd probably be ok for anyone without a bunion. I got them because I thought they'd be perfect for the beach and the pool - but they're not. Never mind.

Glad you like my linguistic invention. I use it a lot in teaching, for instance when I tell students they need to work on their hips without insulting their knees (very easy to do).

Julie

alan k on 12/04/00 at 18:22 (034157)

If you get narrow size boots, if they are available, and the footbed fits well enough in the boot that it doesn't slide around, perhaps that might work. I guess you already know that the footprint insert is very different than that which comes with sandals, and isn't anywhere near as supportive.

alan k

Richard, C.Ped on 12/05/00 at 08:25 (034190)

Lori, I agree with Alan. Fitting your foot is one thing, but make sure the insert fits the shoe. It should not slide around. That will not do your foot any good. The company told you they did not recommend changing footbeds because they do not want to be liable if it hurts your foot. Can't blame them for that. If you decide to order, see if they will let you return everything if it does not feel right to you.

Have you tried the Tatami footbed in other boots? You might want to try that as well. If you try on boots in the store, see if their footbeds remove easily. If so, try the Tatami in those. What you have currently is a footbed that fits your foot (to at T). What you need is a warm boot.

.........you do currently have the Tatami footbed...right?
Richard

Lori E. on 12/05/00 at 13:00 (034215)

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have two pair of Tatami shoes. I was thinking I would order an extra pair of Tatami footbeds when I order my boots. They said that they fit in the boot okay.

Beverly on 12/05/00 at 15:08 (034226)

I didn't know you could change the footbeds. I know about the custom adjustments, but I didn't realize entire footbeds on Birks can be switched.
Does this mean I could take one of the more fashionable Tatami's or Footprints and change it to a classic footbed? The classic footbed is the only one I find comfortable. Would it be a removable footbed or stuck in there?
Thanks,
Beverly

Lori E. on 12/05/00 at 17:31 (034233)

I have two pair of the Tatami hand-sewn shoes. The footbeds in those shoes are removable, and I gather from my notes back and forth with the Birkenstock people that the footbed in the footprint boots is removable too. The hand-sewn Tatamis have a rubber sole that the footbed fits into. The footbed in the Birkies clogs is removable too.

alan k on 12/05/00 at 18:56 (034245)

As far as I know, the classic footbed is not removable in any of the classic sandals. Were it removable, or were one removable, it probably would not fit in a tatami sole because the shape is different, especially because tatami's are narrower. A classic footbed might fit in a footprint boot or shoe because the shape (but not the arch/form) is very similar between footprints and classic) Perhaps someone has more info on this.

The birki clog removable footbeds are not the same in form as the classics, and are rather flat like the footprints. I use birkis in the shower because even though they are not as good for me as the classic, they are still better than a flat plastic sandal or something.

I was very excited by my rubber 'massage sandals' for a while, but then found that they had led me to a set-back, some long while back. That could have been a coincidence that I experienced a set back while wearing them, but I don't think so. Of course, one person's experience doesn't mean much for evaluating these massage sandals. I did not try the birkenstock massage sandals, which have the birk shape, roughly, but perhaps I will some day.

alan k

Lori E. on 12/05/00 at 21:08 (034259)

I had a hard time with the Birkie massage sandals too! I just couldn't get comfortable in them. Those nubs were too hard, and they hurt. I found that the Tatami shoes are the only birk for me as far as the footbed goes.

As far as any other footbed switching questions I would recommend e-mailing the birkenstock-cn.com staff and see what they say. I just wanted to know what Richard thought of the idea since buying any birks is an investment.

Julie F on 12/06/00 at 03:37 (034281)

Lori, do you have a narrow foot? I like the look of the Tatamis on the website, but am apprehensive about trying them because they are said to run narrower than the classic Birkenstocks (which suit me). I have a wide foot. I'm also told that the Tatamis have a deeper heel bed - do you (or does anyone) find that this strains the achilles tendon?

Alan, I have a pair of Birkies that I thought were ok in the shop but now can't wear because after a few minutes they dig into my bunion. So you know if there is there any way of stretching/easing them?

alan k on 12/06/00 at 03:52 (034282)

The birki inserts seems to me to be pretty firm. They don't conform to the feet the way the classic or tatami footbeds do.

You could try taking a razor type blade to them and cutting off the part that is rubbing up against the bunion. I don't know whether that would cause them to fall apart eventually.

yours,

alan k

Richard, C.Ped on 12/06/00 at 07:42 (034289)

Hi Julie. I know your question was directed to Alan, so I hope you don't mind me adding my comment. I would suggest trying to stretch them first. A shoe repair shop or its equal, could easily do this with a stretching device, water, and a heat gun. My father-in-law and business partner, Mike, has a patent on a device he and Sean use to stretch ski boots. I use the same tool to stretch shoes. It is curved like the ball of the foot, so you get a 'smooth' stretch.

I have quite a bit of experience dealing with bunions. I have heard how painful they can be. I hope you are able to do something with the shoe.

I just thought of this. Have you had your feet measured for proper width lately? Make sure you have the correct size shoe. Don't go wider just to acommodate the bunion. You don't want to be sliding around in the shoe if you have PF.

Richard

Julie F on 12/06/00 at 09:01 (034297)

Thanks, Alan. I might try that. Or maybe take a bit of sandpaper to it.

What are you doing up in the middle of the night?

Julie F on 12/06/00 at 09:11 (034299)

Hi Richard

Many thanks for your reply. I addressed my query to Alan because he mentioned having a pair of Birkies but all advice is welcome and I'm grateful for your input. I don't know if the Birkies can be stretched: they are a cheap Birkenstock line, made of a plasticky material, not a living material like leather (I think it's called birkoflor or something similar). It doesn't seem to have much give in it. But I'll take them up to our local shoeshop and see what they can do.

My bunion isn't painful except when it has a quarrel with an unyielding material. (I have never been able to get comfortable with a pair of proper leather hiking boots for this reason, and so I do all my walking in Crete in trainers (you call them sneakers - so did I till I emigrated in 1961) with lots of cushioning and support. Crete is all STONES - small, medium and large, very hard on the feet. But my Adidas trainers are the best protection I've been able to find.)

All the best to you,

Julie

Lori E. on 12/06/00 at 14:53 (034330)

I guess you could say I have a somewhat narrow foot. They are a B width. But I have a somewhat typical female foot in which my heel and ball of my foot are narrower than a man's. I didn't know until this year that women's shoes are usually made with a narrower heel than men's shoes. I just can't wear men's shoes because I am sloshing around in them. I made the mistake of buying men's hiking boots a few years ago and no matter how tightly I laced them they were still loose. That is why I tried the Tatamis. I also like the fact that they have straps that you can adjust too. It helps when I now have to wear thick winter socks.
So it's not really that I have a really narrow foot(like a AA) it's just that I have a narrow heel and ball with a high arch. That is why I want to try a Tatami footbed in the Calgary boots. My Dad and I were talking about my feet and he was surprized when he saw how high my arch is.

Julie F on 12/06/00 at 15:48 (034339)

Richard, I've just tried experimenting with the straps of the Birkies again to see if I could improve matters. In every hole, and even with the front strap completely undone, they still insulted the bunion. I've concluded that the fault (for my feet, anyway) is in the material and/or the way the sandal is constructed and the way it bends (and, as Alan says, they don't conform to the foot the way the classics do). And that I've wasted my money. Maybe this information is useful.

Now I think I'll tackle Birkenstock and see what excuse they have to offer!

Julie

Richard, C.Ped on 12/07/00 at 08:10 (034386)

Sorry about that. I am not sure what the shoe looks like.

Insulted the bunion.....I like that. I am going to start using that phrase with my bunion patients.

Good luck.
Richard

Julie F on 12/07/00 at 08:58 (034395)

Hi Richard

It's called the Birki Barbados and looks, but isn't, very like the classic Arizona which my bunion and I get on perfectly well with. They'd probably be ok for anyone without a bunion. I got them because I thought they'd be perfect for the beach and the pool - but they're not. Never mind.

Glad you like my linguistic invention. I use it a lot in teaching, for instance when I tell students they need to work on their hips without insulting their knees (very easy to do).

Julie