Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain on top of foot

Posted by Barbara TX on 12/05/00 at 11:07 (034205)

Hello Dr. Z. I have a question for you to think about as you meditate on the top of the Eiffel Tower... I am feeling some strange tenderness on the top of my foot. I'm sorry I can't describe it in medical terms, but it is on the top of my foot right at the bridge (?) and extending right up to where the foot meets the leg at the ankle - not a deep pain, but shallow, right underneath the skin. Hurts more directly at the very top of the foot when I touch it. There is swelling and slight redness. The skin is slightly hot to the touch. Hurts most when I point my toe and the top of the skin of my foot stretches tight. No history of trauma that I remember and no bruising. Does not hurt while walking. The only unusual thing I'm doing is walking more and more and standing for longer periods of time (a good thing!). This does not involve my ankle 'mechanism' at all - just the top. Wait - I also did try to wear my evil night splint a couple of nights ago, but tossed it off near the morning. Every time I wear it, I get some new weirdness, but I don't ever remember any pain on the top of my foot in the night... weird. Please let me know if you think I need to get to my friendly neighborhood DPM, or if you think its no biggie. Fondly, TXBABS

Re: Pain on top of foot/Something very similar/Me too

Beverly on 12/05/00 at 14:57 (034223)

Barbara,

That is interesting. I just got my nightsplint, and I've noticed an ache on the top of my foot where my ankle and foot meet. I have my splint set in a very 'weenie' 2 degrees below neutral setting. No swelling though.
I'll be curious what Dr. Z. says.
Hope you feel better,
Beverly

Pauline on 12/06/00 at 10:12 (034303)

Nancy,
Your a stitch! Love it. I have had similar experience while wearing the Night splints. I usually wear two at a time. The problem usually advances up my leg to the hip area. It has happened everytime while using
the splints. My conclusion: ruling out all other things that might have caused my pain-- the night splints caused the problem, but there are a lot of other things to rule out first, like the cat sleeping on my feet.
Sometimes I think things just happen that cause pain and we can't account for all of it.

Re: Pain on top of foot

Kim B. on 12/08/00 at 23:09 (034527)

HI TX Barb,

I so remember having the exact kind of pain you described at a few points in my foot pain days. For me, back then, the pain moved around and somethimes hurt in more than one place.

I used to post at the site begging for someone to tell me what the signs of healing might be. i.e. short periods of remission, the changing foot pain, the foot pain traveling around like that, etc. Evidently the people who could testify weren't around to give me much in the way of anwsers. (I guess most of them got well and didn't check the board as often.) So, I forged on not knowing if any of these things were good news or bad news.

Now I believe, from my own experience anyway, that these things are indeed part of the healing process. My theory is that when healing is taking place, as new muscles start carrying their own load again, it puts a little extra pressure on other foot muscles that had become lax. So, they hurt a little as they relearn their function. Just a theory. I wish you well!

Regards, Kim B.

Re: To Barbara TX Pain on top of foot

Pauline on 12/11/00 at 08:52 (034666)

Barbara,
Do you think it is just a coincidence that you begin getting new feelings just after I put you on the list at St. Bonvenature?

Barbara TX on 12/11/00 at 13:18 (034694)

Oh Pauline... I only wish that these were transitional pains! Time will tell. I know that the tops of my feet are a little itchy today, and itchy, to the optimist, means healing. That is just theory that gets me through the day. I am actually releived that its only tendonitis and not something worse. In the beginning it seriously felt like someone drove a hammer into the top of my foot. I was really amazed that I could feel that bad with no blunt force trauma. The swelling is still there and covers up the bones on the top of my feet. It is seriously the darnedest thing. Everybody at St. Bonaventures - don't stop now!!! Thanks! B.

Beverly on 12/05/00 at 14:57 (034223)

Barbara,

That is interesting. I just got my nightsplint, and I've noticed an ache on the top of my foot where my ankle and foot meet. I have my splint set in a very 'weenie' 2 degrees below neutral setting. No swelling though.
I'll be curious what Dr. Z. says.
Hope you feel better,
Beverly

Pauline on 12/06/00 at 10:12 (034303)

Nancy,
Your a stitch! Love it. I have had similar experience while wearing the Night splints. I usually wear two at a time. The problem usually advances up my leg to the hip area. It has happened everytime while using
the splints. My conclusion: ruling out all other things that might have caused my pain-- the night splints caused the problem, but there are a lot of other things to rule out first, like the cat sleeping on my feet.
Sometimes I think things just happen that cause pain and we can't account for all of it.

Re: Pain on top of foot

Kim B. on 12/08/00 at 23:09 (034527)

HI TX Barb,

I so remember having the exact kind of pain you described at a few points in my foot pain days. For me, back then, the pain moved around and somethimes hurt in more than one place.

I used to post at the site begging for someone to tell me what the signs of healing might be. i.e. short periods of remission, the changing foot pain, the foot pain traveling around like that, etc. Evidently the people who could testify weren't around to give me much in the way of anwsers. (I guess most of them got well and didn't check the board as often.) So, I forged on not knowing if any of these things were good news or bad news.

Now I believe, from my own experience anyway, that these things are indeed part of the healing process. My theory is that when healing is taking place, as new muscles start carrying their own load again, it puts a little extra pressure on other foot muscles that had become lax. So, they hurt a little as they relearn their function. Just a theory. I wish you well!

Regards, Kim B.

Pauline on 12/11/00 at 08:52 (034666)

Barbara,
Do you think it is just a coincidence that you begin getting new feelings just after I put you on the list at St. Bonvenature?

Barbara TX on 12/11/00 at 13:18 (034694)

Oh Pauline... I only wish that these were transitional pains! Time will tell. I know that the tops of my feet are a little itchy today, and itchy, to the optimist, means healing. That is just theory that gets me through the day. I am actually releived that its only tendonitis and not something worse. In the beginning it seriously felt like someone drove a hammer into the top of my foot. I was really amazed that I could feel that bad with no blunt force trauma. The swelling is still there and covers up the bones on the top of my feet. It is seriously the darnedest thing. Everybody at St. Bonaventures - don't stop now!!! Thanks! B.