Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortizone: Has anyone recovered by trying shots?

Posted by CP on 12/05/00 at 12:18 (034209)

This question may be targeting the wrong audience since most folks on this board still suffer. But, I'm considering shots. I've heard a lot of bad news about them...how painful they are, how you only get 3 and then a year later you still have PF becuase the cortizone wears off.
Does anyone know of anyone who has recovered from PF via cortizone injections?

Re: Cortizone: Has anyone recovered by trying shots?

Susan S on 12/05/00 at 13:09 (034218)

I do credit the shots to aiding my 'recovery'. Perhaps I'd be at this level without them but I doubt it.

They are painful. No doubt. I had to take them at lunch on Friday (Dr closed at noon), go straight home, grab the ice bags and hit the sofa. The actual procedure of getting the shot is awful and seems to take a very long time. And yes my foot hurt more after the shot than before. But by Saturday night I could get on with my life.

The thing to remember if you chose to get them is that even tho the symptoms may be less, you still have a significant injury. I continued to treat my foot the same. The shots were just one of the treatment options that I used. I continued to stretch, wear my nightsplints, rest, rest, rest, birks, and modified exercise even when the cortizone had numbed the pain.

Discuss treatment options with your doctor. I wouldn't have tried the shots first if I'd been aware of other treatment options. The first pod I saw immediately gave me a VERY painful shot and ordered custom orthodics that I couldn't wear and my insurance wouldn't pay for. I changed doctors and we did several things before the series of shots. You have to become proactive in your recovery. My doc would come in and sit down in the other waiting chair because he knew would be talking first.

Good Luck!

CP on 12/05/00 at 15:16 (034228)

Thanks for your reply. I have tried PT, splints, walking boot, oral med, and orthotics ...and have waited for over a year before conidering these.
You mentioned your 'recovery'...to what degree have you recovered. How long can you stand comfortably and what did it take (treatments, number of shots, and how many months) to get you there?
Also, to help me better understand your situation. How bad was your case at its worst?

john h on 12/05/00 at 18:41 (034242)

i have read of a number of cases of people who had one shot and never had a reoccurence. to me, the shot was not that painful. it is certainly worth a try.

Kay S on 12/05/00 at 19:09 (034247)

John--of course the shot didn't hurt you......you're a MANLY MAN, right????

Mr Bob on 12/05/00 at 22:36 (034267)

I do not think shots did me any good. They hurt like hell and i still have the pain. I have had 4 series of shots and no luck. Hope they help you.
mrbob

Susan S on 12/06/00 at 08:46 (034295)

I took two horrible shots from the pod in February that did nothing but increase my pain so I was very reluctant to take them again from the orthopedic doctor. I did all the things you have mentioned above first as well. We discussed the series of shots and how many I should take and what degree of relief to expect. The interesting thing that he said was he'd found that the time it took to beat PF was relative to the time you began a treatment that worked. Took shot #3 from him in August and #4 in September. I also had one shot in my left foot in July. They were not unbearable and I would certainly do it again today if necessary. Just don't expect to dance out of the office.

Today I have morning pain in my left foot which is the one that I have had the least amount of trouble with. Christmas shopping has been difficult. Years before I did it all in one weekend. This year I have broken it down to many trips but a day in the mall is painful. Last year I ordered everything online. Shopping was not an option. I am wearing 'regular' shoes again with an OTC orthodic but am anxious at the end of the day to get home to my birks. They are certainly not up to the dress code at work. However, I will NEVER abuse my feet like I have in the past. A load of beautiful shoes went to Goodwill. Acutally, I find myself obsessed with shoes now. I do continue to stretch and massage every day. And after a particularly bad day I'll sleep in my splints. I still check the board about twice a day to see what's working for everyone else.

Level of pain at it's worst? Hmm, definately changed my lifestyle. Rather than getting up a thousand times a day to run errands at work I would make a stack of things that required a trip down the hall (copies, mail, printing, things to take to others) and I would make one limping trip when I absolutely couldn't wait any longer for the restroom. Cooking dinner was an ordeal. Walking across campus out of the question. The toughest thing is that you are bound to the sidelines in your childrens lives. I could cheer mine on from the bleachers but I oculdn't participate. I hope I never regress to that point.

In five words or less: They're worth a shot. pun intended

john h on 12/06/00 at 19:28 (034356)

i think the value of a shot may be that it helps confirm PF. If you get a shot into the area that is painful and the pain goes away if only for a few days it would seem to increase the probability that you have PF especially if the pain is in the classic spot where pf pain occurs.

Beverly on 12/06/00 at 21:07 (034361)

Few topics are as contreversial as shots. I waited until I was eight months into this to get mine. They did me no good. I often wonder if it would have been different had I gotten them early on before so many other foot and ankle pains set in. My fear of how much they would hurt was MUCH bigger than the temporary pain of the shot.
This is a hard and personal decision. Best of luck however you go.
Beverly

Lisa on 12/16/00 at 14:38 (035089)

I've suffered from Plantar Fasciitis for 3 years now.

I've done the stretching, weights to strengthen, ultrasound and orthodics. It helped but still had the spur.

My Doc finally said I've tried everything and gave me a cortisone injection. It hurt like hell for a minute or so. The next day. It hurt even more but I stayed off my foot and iced it. The ext morning I was pain free! I strongly reccomend a shot if you've tried everything else. Make sure your octor is experienced in giving foot injections, not all doctors are. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes only in feet

Good luck!

Susan S on 12/05/00 at 13:09 (034218)

I do credit the shots to aiding my 'recovery'. Perhaps I'd be at this level without them but I doubt it.

They are painful. No doubt. I had to take them at lunch on Friday (Dr closed at noon), go straight home, grab the ice bags and hit the sofa. The actual procedure of getting the shot is awful and seems to take a very long time. And yes my foot hurt more after the shot than before. But by Saturday night I could get on with my life.

The thing to remember if you chose to get them is that even tho the symptoms may be less, you still have a significant injury. I continued to treat my foot the same. The shots were just one of the treatment options that I used. I continued to stretch, wear my nightsplints, rest, rest, rest, birks, and modified exercise even when the cortizone had numbed the pain.

Discuss treatment options with your doctor. I wouldn't have tried the shots first if I'd been aware of other treatment options. The first pod I saw immediately gave me a VERY painful shot and ordered custom orthodics that I couldn't wear and my insurance wouldn't pay for. I changed doctors and we did several things before the series of shots. You have to become proactive in your recovery. My doc would come in and sit down in the other waiting chair because he knew would be talking first.

Good Luck!

CP on 12/05/00 at 15:16 (034228)

Thanks for your reply. I have tried PT, splints, walking boot, oral med, and orthotics ...and have waited for over a year before conidering these.
You mentioned your 'recovery'...to what degree have you recovered. How long can you stand comfortably and what did it take (treatments, number of shots, and how many months) to get you there?
Also, to help me better understand your situation. How bad was your case at its worst?

john h on 12/05/00 at 18:41 (034242)

i have read of a number of cases of people who had one shot and never had a reoccurence. to me, the shot was not that painful. it is certainly worth a try.

Kay S on 12/05/00 at 19:09 (034247)

John--of course the shot didn't hurt you......you're a MANLY MAN, right????

Mr Bob on 12/05/00 at 22:36 (034267)

I do not think shots did me any good. They hurt like hell and i still have the pain. I have had 4 series of shots and no luck. Hope they help you.
mrbob

Susan S on 12/06/00 at 08:46 (034295)

I took two horrible shots from the pod in February that did nothing but increase my pain so I was very reluctant to take them again from the orthopedic doctor. I did all the things you have mentioned above first as well. We discussed the series of shots and how many I should take and what degree of relief to expect. The interesting thing that he said was he'd found that the time it took to beat PF was relative to the time you began a treatment that worked. Took shot #3 from him in August and #4 in September. I also had one shot in my left foot in July. They were not unbearable and I would certainly do it again today if necessary. Just don't expect to dance out of the office.

Today I have morning pain in my left foot which is the one that I have had the least amount of trouble with. Christmas shopping has been difficult. Years before I did it all in one weekend. This year I have broken it down to many trips but a day in the mall is painful. Last year I ordered everything online. Shopping was not an option. I am wearing 'regular' shoes again with an OTC orthodic but am anxious at the end of the day to get home to my birks. They are certainly not up to the dress code at work. However, I will NEVER abuse my feet like I have in the past. A load of beautiful shoes went to Goodwill. Acutally, I find myself obsessed with shoes now. I do continue to stretch and massage every day. And after a particularly bad day I'll sleep in my splints. I still check the board about twice a day to see what's working for everyone else.

Level of pain at it's worst? Hmm, definately changed my lifestyle. Rather than getting up a thousand times a day to run errands at work I would make a stack of things that required a trip down the hall (copies, mail, printing, things to take to others) and I would make one limping trip when I absolutely couldn't wait any longer for the restroom. Cooking dinner was an ordeal. Walking across campus out of the question. The toughest thing is that you are bound to the sidelines in your childrens lives. I could cheer mine on from the bleachers but I oculdn't participate. I hope I never regress to that point.

In five words or less: They're worth a shot. pun intended

john h on 12/06/00 at 19:28 (034356)

i think the value of a shot may be that it helps confirm PF. If you get a shot into the area that is painful and the pain goes away if only for a few days it would seem to increase the probability that you have PF especially if the pain is in the classic spot where pf pain occurs.

Beverly on 12/06/00 at 21:07 (034361)

Few topics are as contreversial as shots. I waited until I was eight months into this to get mine. They did me no good. I often wonder if it would have been different had I gotten them early on before so many other foot and ankle pains set in. My fear of how much they would hurt was MUCH bigger than the temporary pain of the shot.
This is a hard and personal decision. Best of luck however you go.
Beverly

Lisa on 12/16/00 at 14:38 (035089)

I've suffered from Plantar Fasciitis for 3 years now.

I've done the stretching, weights to strengthen, ultrasound and orthodics. It helped but still had the spur.

My Doc finally said I've tried everything and gave me a cortisone injection. It hurt like hell for a minute or so. The next day. It hurt even more but I stayed off my foot and iced it. The ext morning I was pain free! I strongly reccomend a shot if you've tried everything else. Make sure your octor is experienced in giving foot injections, not all doctors are. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes only in feet

Good luck!