Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Numb foot

Posted by jim t on 12/05/00 at 13:04 (034216)

I had an injection (lidocaine/cortisone/one other fast acting anesthetic) in my ankle for tarsal tunnel syndrome yesterday, and 24 hours later I still can't feel my foot. It's swollen and hot to touch and hard to move. How long does the numbness usually last? The doctor told me very little but I inferred it was both a diagnostic shot (blocking a nerve to see if the pain went away) and therapy. It doesn't feel very therapeutic. Well, it doesn't feel at all.

Re: Numb foot

Dr. Biehler on 12/05/00 at 18:19 (034237)

Your doctor probably mixed lidocain and marcain with the cortisone. The anethesa can make the foot feel hot and it does dialate the blood vessils. You should be starting to get feeling back about now and different people have different reactions to cortisone. I lot of people have had good results with this kind of treatment. Dr. B.

Re: Numb foot

Dr. Biehler on 12/05/00 at 18:19 (034237)

Your doctor probably mixed lidocain and marcain with the cortisone. The anethesa can make the foot feel hot and it does dialate the blood vessils. You should be starting to get feeling back about now and different people have different reactions to cortisone. I lot of people have had good results with this kind of treatment. Dr. B.