Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Totally confused: cortizone and arm pain

Posted by Sue D. on 12/05/00 at 17:13 (034231)

A few months ago I was involved in a car accident which resulted in the immediate inflammation and swelling of my left elbow. However, when I went to the E.R., they prescribed only Tylenol and ice, which only reduced the swelling in the elbow. Unfortunately, as time went by, the pain increased until I could barely raise my arm. Now, I am regularly going to a G.P. and a physiotherapist. At first, he said I had left shoulder tendonitis and left elbow epicodylitis. But after taking iodine x-rays and ultrasound, my G.P. is telling me that I have a pinched tendon in my left shoulder (pinched syndrome), and have had this prior to the accident. He now recommends cortizone shots, and maybe surgery. Is it possible that I suffered from this condition without any pain, and the accident only aggravated it, causing the pain and reducing my arm's mobility?? Should I take the cortizone shots??? What are its effects??? And what about the surgery??
HELP!!

Re: Totally confused: cortizone and arm pain

Dr. Biehler on 12/05/00 at 18:40 (034241)

I just love the way GPs tell people they had the problem before the accident and just never knew about it. I wonder what they base their assumptions on. Cortisone can help reduce inflamation and break down tissue which may or may not help a pinched tendon ( especial if it has been pinched for a long time), Unfortunatly, accidents can do alot of damage. Just try to find a doctor 'you' feel comfortable with and trust. Dr. B.

Re: Totally confused: cortizone and arm pain

Dr. Biehler on 12/05/00 at 18:40 (034241)

I just love the way GPs tell people they had the problem before the accident and just never knew about it. I wonder what they base their assumptions on. Cortisone can help reduce inflamation and break down tissue which may or may not help a pinched tendon ( especial if it has been pinched for a long time), Unfortunatly, accidents can do alot of damage. Just try to find a doctor 'you' feel comfortable with and trust. Dr. B.