Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT stories and results

Posted by MrBob on 12/05/00 at 22:39 (034269)

Im going to a consultation on Friday. Would like to hear from someone who has gone through the treatment. What kind of pain? How sucessful was it?
How long ago? Any side effects? Etc.
Thanks

Re: ESWT stories and results

Kate on 12/06/00 at 07:40 (034288)

Bob,
I had the procedure done 10 days ago in our office for my heelspur. I have had pain for the past two years, and now have very little to no pain.
The prodcedure itself was painless, and I had the treatment done with no anesthesia at all. I had no pain at all for the first 4 or 5 days, and then with Thanksgiving and everything that goes with it, I had some discomfort. But it was just that, discomfort, not pain. A funny thing happened the other day, I had gone shopping with my teenage daughter (which is always a special experience in itself!) and we did two malls in about 4 hours. I can home and sat down and said 'oh my foot hurts,' but then I realized it didn't hurt. My feet were tired because I walked so much, but there really was no pain. And I realized that I was programmed to think my feet hurt, they had killed me for two years. But now that I look and think objectively, I'm not having any pain. Still a little sore when I'm barefoot in the shower, but just sore.
As for side effects, there are none. ESWT is completely safe, and eliminates all of the common side effects of traditional surgery.

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator (and patient!)

alan k on 12/06/00 at 08:19 (034293)

Kate,

maybe you should wear sandals in the shower.

alan

john h on 12/06/00 at 10:57 (034305)

had two procedures. totally painless. i am better than before treatment after having this problem for 7 years. nothing to lose but your pain and your money. no one has posted about any side effects.

Barbara TX on 12/06/00 at 12:15 (034312)

Hello Bob (I once had a goldfish named Mr. Bob)! My ESWT was done with a local block and took 40 minutes. It was painless, although I felt popping pressure on the bottom of my foot. I am a SLOW recoverer - I'm at 8 weeks post ESWT and improving little by little. I will decide at 12 weeks post whether to get zapped again. It really was a very minor procedure (I only wish that Dr. Z practiced across the street rather than across the country)! Good luck with your consultation. Ask plenty of questions, especially about how they determine where to direct the zap. You want yours done by a doctor who has done LOTS of footwork, especially surgeries, and is really able to visualize the internal structure of your foot. I think that you only attain that level of skill by doing lots of cutting. B.

Re: Kate: question please

Steve P on 12/06/00 at 18:55 (034349)

Kate --- You mentioned that you had no anesthesia before ESWT. What percentage of patients have needed anesthesia?

thanks........Steve

Kate on 12/07/00 at 08:05 (034383)

Steve,
All patients other than myself have had a pt block, a local anestheic. I chose to go without it, as I am terribly afraid of needles.

Thanks,
kate

kate on 12/07/00 at 08:08 (034385)

Barb,
You are absolutely right. Determining the focal point of the treatment is all important! And only a doctor will extensive experience can do this procedure with optimal results.
How have you been feeling?

Kate

Jim on 12/11/00 at 01:51 (034643)

Kate,

Where did you have your treatment and what was the cost?

Jim

Jim on 12/11/00 at 01:53 (034644)

Barbara,

Jim

Kate on 12/06/00 at 07:40 (034288)

Bob,
I had the procedure done 10 days ago in our office for my heelspur. I have had pain for the past two years, and now have very little to no pain.
The prodcedure itself was painless, and I had the treatment done with no anesthesia at all. I had no pain at all for the first 4 or 5 days, and then with Thanksgiving and everything that goes with it, I had some discomfort. But it was just that, discomfort, not pain. A funny thing happened the other day, I had gone shopping with my teenage daughter (which is always a special experience in itself!) and we did two malls in about 4 hours. I can home and sat down and said 'oh my foot hurts,' but then I realized it didn't hurt. My feet were tired because I walked so much, but there really was no pain. And I realized that I was programmed to think my feet hurt, they had killed me for two years. But now that I look and think objectively, I'm not having any pain. Still a little sore when I'm barefoot in the shower, but just sore.
As for side effects, there are none. ESWT is completely safe, and eliminates all of the common side effects of traditional surgery.

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator (and patient!)

alan k on 12/06/00 at 08:19 (034293)

Kate,

maybe you should wear sandals in the shower.

alan

john h on 12/06/00 at 10:57 (034305)

had two procedures. totally painless. i am better than before treatment after having this problem for 7 years. nothing to lose but your pain and your money. no one has posted about any side effects.

Barbara TX on 12/06/00 at 12:15 (034312)

Hello Bob (I once had a goldfish named Mr. Bob)! My ESWT was done with a local block and took 40 minutes. It was painless, although I felt popping pressure on the bottom of my foot. I am a SLOW recoverer - I'm at 8 weeks post ESWT and improving little by little. I will decide at 12 weeks post whether to get zapped again. It really was a very minor procedure (I only wish that Dr. Z practiced across the street rather than across the country)! Good luck with your consultation. Ask plenty of questions, especially about how they determine where to direct the zap. You want yours done by a doctor who has done LOTS of footwork, especially surgeries, and is really able to visualize the internal structure of your foot. I think that you only attain that level of skill by doing lots of cutting. B.

Steve P on 12/06/00 at 18:55 (034349)

Kate --- You mentioned that you had no anesthesia before ESWT. What percentage of patients have needed anesthesia?

thanks........Steve

Kate on 12/07/00 at 08:05 (034383)

Steve,
All patients other than myself have had a pt block, a local anestheic. I chose to go without it, as I am terribly afraid of needles.

Thanks,
kate

kate on 12/07/00 at 08:08 (034385)

Barb,
You are absolutely right. Determining the focal point of the treatment is all important! And only a doctor will extensive experience can do this procedure with optimal results.
How have you been feeling?

Kate

Jim on 12/11/00 at 01:51 (034643)

Kate,

Jim

Jim on 12/11/00 at 01:53 (034644)

Barbara,

Jim