Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF - 5 Weeks Post Op

Posted by Chris W on 12/06/00 at 15:21 (034334)

I am now 5 weeks post op and I was wondering how long it will take before I am completely convinced that the surgery will completely relieve the pain.

For the first couple of weeks while my foot was still wrapped it was fine. I now have some pain almost exactly where the fascia attaches to the heel bone. The pain seems to be somewhat different than before.

Can you offer a time frame?

Thanks

Re: EPF - 5 Weeks Post Op

john h on 12/07/00 at 09:40 (034403)

most think the healing process can take from 6 months to 1 year.

Abby on 12/07/00 at 22:40 (034457)

My podiatrist told me the same thing 6 months to a year and I'm at the
6 1/2 week mark. I noticed the most improvement during my 5th week post op.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/00 at 19:45 (034619)

This is one of the problems with foot surgery and even ESWT. The healing time will be different. Heel spur surgery for proximal insertional pf is done to do trauma to the area to start a new healing cycle. The problem is how much trauma is needed. I have done heel spur surgery that took two minutes of trauma cutting that took six months to heal . I have done heel spur surgery that took twenty minutes of trauma cutting where the patients had no pain at all after the procedure. No one has come up with the exact amount of the least amount of trauma necessary to get the quickest painless foot.

It is patients like Abby's results where there was no pain after the procedure that built my heel spur practice. The problem is that the patients that she refers will think that something is wrong if they don't heal as quickly as the next person. I wish there was one procedure that cured everyone in one day. When I first did ESWT I was taught that in three or four days you can be completely pain free . Yes this is true but some will take six weeks and some will take twelve weeks and then some will
not get better. The advantage to ESWT is that you get the second and third and even fourth chances of controlled trauma with a sound wave if the first treatment or sound wave trauma doesn't work. With surgery you don't get the second chance. The cut is the cut and then the healing just take its own time. The most important aspect is that we all keep looking for the best treatment for the most people . Until ESWT becomes more available and the price comes down then this debate will continue. The only way that I can prove my position is to keep trying to get the cost of the machine down . To do this I must make the machine available to my colleagues .The problem is that my colleagues don't trust anyone who is offering to let them do the procedure when I could keep it all to myself. This is just the opposite if I am the only one doing the procedure then eventually no one will do the procedure and it will just stop. I hope that this makes sense.

john h on 12/07/00 at 09:40 (034403)

most think the healing process can take from 6 months to 1 year.

Abby on 12/07/00 at 22:40 (034457)

My podiatrist told me the same thing 6 months to a year and I'm at the
6 1/2 week mark. I noticed the most improvement during my 5th week post op.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/00 at 19:45 (034619)

This is one of the problems with foot surgery and even ESWT. The healing time will be different. Heel spur surgery for proximal insertional pf is done to do trauma to the area to start a new healing cycle. The problem is how much trauma is needed. I have done heel spur surgery that took two minutes of trauma cutting that took six months to heal . I have done heel spur surgery that took twenty minutes of trauma cutting where the patients had no pain at all after the procedure. No one has come up with the exact amount of the least amount of trauma necessary to get the quickest painless foot.

It is patients like Abby's results where there was no pain after the procedure that built my heel spur practice. The problem is that the patients that she refers will think that something is wrong if they don't heal as quickly as the next person. I wish there was one procedure that cured everyone in one day. When I first did ESWT I was taught that in three or four days you can be completely pain free . Yes this is true but some will take six weeks and some will take twelve weeks and then some will
not get better. The advantage to ESWT is that you get the second and third and even fourth chances of controlled trauma with a sound wave if the first treatment or sound wave trauma doesn't work. With surgery you don't get the second chance. The cut is the cut and then the healing just take its own time. The most important aspect is that we all keep looking for the best treatment for the most people . Until ESWT becomes more available and the price comes down then this debate will continue. The only way that I can prove my position is to keep trying to get the cost of the machine down . To do this I must make the machine available to my colleagues .The problem is that my colleagues don't trust anyone who is offering to let them do the procedure when I could keep it all to myself. This is just the opposite if I am the only one doing the procedure then eventually no one will do the procedure and it will just stop. I hope that this makes sense.