Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Incidence of foot ailments

Posted by Scott R on 12/06/00 at 22:02 (034368)

Dr B and Dr Z,
I'm wondering what kind of importance I should attach to other sources of heel pain. For example, I often hear from people who have heel spurs at the Achilles tendon attachment, but I don't say anything about it. What percentage of your clients have the different types of heel spurs? How frequent are stress fractures? How frequent are the other causes of heel pain? I have read several sources that have a good list of the different causes of heel pain, but not how frequent they are.

Re: Incidence of foot ailments

Dr. Biehler on 12/07/00 at 08:39 (034392)

There are a lot of different causes of heal pain with bursitis being one of the more frequent ones. This is usually do to the fat pad atrophy or over use in the wrong type of shoes. Retro calcanial heel spur is also very common and that also has several different causes. It also has be be made sure the pain is not comming from a bone tumor, systemic problem or a fracture. It comes down to that if it is painfull and doesn't heal right away, it needs to be checked by a proffesional. D. B.

Re: Incidence of foot ailments

Dr. Biehler on 12/07/00 at 08:39 (034392)

There are a lot of different causes of heal pain with bursitis being one of the more frequent ones. This is usually do to the fat pad atrophy or over use in the wrong type of shoes. Retro calcanial heel spur is also very common and that also has several different causes. It also has be be made sure the pain is not comming from a bone tumor, systemic problem or a fracture. It comes down to that if it is painfull and doesn't heal right away, it needs to be checked by a proffesional. D. B.