Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My night splint is killing me

Posted by Mr bob2 on 12/07/00 at 21:57 (034452)

I am on my 4 day and now i am in worst shape. My calf muscle is killing me. When i get up the morning or after sitting down i can bearly walk because my calf is so tight. I feel like i just got done running 5 miles or biking a lot of hills. What is up with these things.

Re: My night splint is killing me

Bob G. on 12/08/00 at 00:47 (034464)

Hello Mr. Bob,

Well, these things are not easy, or else everybody would be doing them. It takes a little adjustment here, a little adjustment there, and a lot of persistence...you've probably got the persistence.

My guess is that you may need to ease into them more slowly. A little at first, then ease up into more time, then more time, before actually trying to sleep (this also takes patience) in them. I know i gave up many times before getting to the point of trying to actually sleep in them. Spent many sleepless nights and grouchy days because of the friggin' thing.

But if determined enough, you can do it. And I can assure you it is worth the effort.

I wore my nightsplint last night and the night before. My foot feels so good, so normal, so awesome. I've been pain-free for eight months now, but can usually feel the PF, but now I can feel nothing but joy.

If it hurts, back off, relax, and try again the next night, or the next. BG

Barbara TX on 12/08/00 at 09:30 (034480)

Never do anything that hurts you!!!! However, having pain in your gastrocs might indicate that you could benefit from some gentle calf stretching. Try to keep the stretch in the calf area, if you can to avoid hurting your achilles or pulling at your pf. Some deep massage really helps those sore calf muscles - along with a little heat.

I am one of those folks who tried and tried (and tried again) to wear a night splint in every conceivable way. Wendy too, I think. Even though I refused to believe at first that it wouldn't work for me. The minute I put it on, things are always worse, and I've learned my lesson. You may be one of us! So try Bob G.'s gentle break-in procedures (also, make sure that you GENTLY increase your dorsiflexion... get comfortable in it in neutral, or even plantarflexed if necessary) and then be open to the possibility that its not for you. You have to sneak up on this pf slowly! All the best, B.

Beverly on 12/08/00 at 11:16 (034494)

You certainly have my sympathies and I can relate. I'm a nightsplint newbie. Just getting started, and I get bad cramps.... hurts more than before, ect...
Yesterday, my PT adjusted my nighsplint into a much, much easier setting.
I am going to try that. Also, I'm not yet wearing it during sleep. For one thing, there is no way I could sleep! I am wearing it on my recliner... an hour or two at a time. It remains to be seen if I can get used to it, but after lots of suffering, I am giving this a try. I did not wear it last night... resting sore places. I plan to try it again on Saturday. That will give me a two day break before trying it at the gentler setting.
I am going very slowly and taking a 'wait and see' approach before I say whether the splint is right for me. It does seem that it has helped many people.
Good luck,
Beverly

alan k on 12/08/00 at 11:24 (034495)

see my messages in beverly's thread below. Using a sock to lift the heel in the nightsplint reduces dorsiflexion.

The night splint is supposed to be a passive, gentle therapy. If you reduce dorsiflexion it will be gentle. Just reduce it all the way until there is no discomfort.

alan k

VickiJ on 12/08/00 at 17:54 (034510)

Are you workin with a doctor, physical therapist, or some other person who is familiar with night splints and your condition? Remember, pain is a warning that something is really wrong...I suggest you seek hands on help with your night splint if you haven't already...and if it were me I would stop wearing it completely until all the tightness has gone away and then reconsider using it at all until you can have help adjusting it properly.

Re: Bob G. you fogot to tell him about your staussburg sock rememdy

Kim B. on 12/08/00 at 21:46 (034525)

Bob G. I still don't understand exacly how it make the nightsplint experience more comfortable, but you didn't mention the straussberg sock you've mentioned before as being an aid. I don't know the terminology that goes with splinting, but would the Straussberg sock help in his situation?

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 12/09/00 at 17:00 (034552)

oh, yes, kim, i originally got this from allen k

the nightsplint basically takes over the whole scenario. then within, you wear the strassberg sock. the s/s keeps your toes uplifted (ever so very slightly) which keeps the bottom of your foot from (painfully) pressing against the nightsplint's footbed. before i began wearing the s/s within my nightsplint i was having unbearable discomfort between the bottom of my foot and the nightsplint.

that made the whole ordeal more bearable. I finally made it to sleep. however, getting up in the night was no fun because of the discomfort of the whole ordeal. that's when i discovered putting my arch support into the mix - wallah!!! happy camper.

i now wear (once in a while) the nightsplint, strassberg sock, and birkenstock arch support all while i am dreaming of ice scating in the olympics. hey, i can jog on the beach, so why not?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/00 at 18:13 (034610)

foot implants for the big toe joint aren't the same as hip and knee implants. They never return the joint to its orginal biomechanical function. They are used as a spacer so that the ends of the two bones don't touch. How old are you.? The reason that implants are used is to try to keep a space between the bones so that they don't rub. I don't believe in implants for the human foot . They make no sense and will eventually break if you run. The big toe joint has alot more stress and weight placed on it then the knee or hip replacement. I specialize in taking them out . Now in some cases they could be needed but they are bad news if you are young and very active. This also applies to the double end implants as well as the single stem implant. They even have metal implant. There just isn't any material in the world that can replace the original joint that the man upstairs gave us. Most implants were designed for low activity person with a gait cycle that the patients doesn't have a full
propulsive gait cycle

Bob G. on 12/08/00 at 00:47 (034464)

Hello Mr. Bob,

Well, these things are not easy, or else everybody would be doing them. It takes a little adjustment here, a little adjustment there, and a lot of persistence...you've probably got the persistence.

My guess is that you may need to ease into them more slowly. A little at first, then ease up into more time, then more time, before actually trying to sleep (this also takes patience) in them. I know i gave up many times before getting to the point of trying to actually sleep in them. Spent many sleepless nights and grouchy days because of the friggin' thing.

But if determined enough, you can do it. And I can assure you it is worth the effort.

I wore my nightsplint last night and the night before. My foot feels so good, so normal, so awesome. I've been pain-free for eight months now, but can usually feel the PF, but now I can feel nothing but joy.

If it hurts, back off, relax, and try again the next night, or the next. BG

Barbara TX on 12/08/00 at 09:30 (034480)

Never do anything that hurts you!!!! However, having pain in your gastrocs might indicate that you could benefit from some gentle calf stretching. Try to keep the stretch in the calf area, if you can to avoid hurting your achilles or pulling at your pf. Some deep massage really helps those sore calf muscles - along with a little heat.

I am one of those folks who tried and tried (and tried again) to wear a night splint in every conceivable way. Wendy too, I think. Even though I refused to believe at first that it wouldn't work for me. The minute I put it on, things are always worse, and I've learned my lesson. You may be one of us! So try Bob G.'s gentle break-in procedures (also, make sure that you GENTLY increase your dorsiflexion... get comfortable in it in neutral, or even plantarflexed if necessary) and then be open to the possibility that its not for you. You have to sneak up on this pf slowly! All the best, B.

Beverly on 12/08/00 at 11:16 (034494)

You certainly have my sympathies and I can relate. I'm a nightsplint newbie. Just getting started, and I get bad cramps.... hurts more than before, ect...
Yesterday, my PT adjusted my nighsplint into a much, much easier setting.
I am going to try that. Also, I'm not yet wearing it during sleep. For one thing, there is no way I could sleep! I am wearing it on my recliner... an hour or two at a time. It remains to be seen if I can get used to it, but after lots of suffering, I am giving this a try. I did not wear it last night... resting sore places. I plan to try it again on Saturday. That will give me a two day break before trying it at the gentler setting.
I am going very slowly and taking a 'wait and see' approach before I say whether the splint is right for me. It does seem that it has helped many people.
Good luck,
Beverly

alan k on 12/08/00 at 11:24 (034495)

see my messages in beverly's thread below. Using a sock to lift the heel in the nightsplint reduces dorsiflexion.

The night splint is supposed to be a passive, gentle therapy. If you reduce dorsiflexion it will be gentle. Just reduce it all the way until there is no discomfort.

alan k

VickiJ on 12/08/00 at 17:54 (034510)

Are you workin with a doctor, physical therapist, or some other person who is familiar with night splints and your condition? Remember, pain is a warning that something is really wrong...I suggest you seek hands on help with your night splint if you haven't already...and if it were me I would stop wearing it completely until all the tightness has gone away and then reconsider using it at all until you can have help adjusting it properly.

Kim B. on 12/08/00 at 21:46 (034525)

Bob G. I still don't understand exacly how it make the nightsplint experience more comfortable, but you didn't mention the straussberg sock you've mentioned before as being an aid. I don't know the terminology that goes with splinting, but would the Straussberg sock help in his situation?

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 12/09/00 at 17:00 (034552)

oh, yes, kim, i originally got this from allen k

the nightsplint basically takes over the whole scenario. then within, you wear the strassberg sock. the s/s keeps your toes uplifted (ever so very slightly) which keeps the bottom of your foot from (painfully) pressing against the nightsplint's footbed. before i began wearing the s/s within my nightsplint i was having unbearable discomfort between the bottom of my foot and the nightsplint.

that made the whole ordeal more bearable. I finally made it to sleep. however, getting up in the night was no fun because of the discomfort of the whole ordeal. that's when i discovered putting my arch support into the mix - wallah!!! happy camper.

i now wear (once in a while) the nightsplint, strassberg sock, and birkenstock arch support all while i am dreaming of ice scating in the olympics. hey, i can jog on the beach, so why not?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/00 at 18:13 (034610)

foot implants for the big toe joint aren't the same as hip and knee implants. They never return the joint to its orginal biomechanical function. They are used as a spacer so that the ends of the two bones don't touch. How old are you.? The reason that implants are used is to try to keep a space between the bones so that they don't rub. I don't believe in implants for the human foot . They make no sense and will eventually break if you run. The big toe joint has alot more stress and weight placed on it then the knee or hip replacement. I specialize in taking them out . Now in some cases they could be needed but they are bad news if you are young and very active. This also applies to the double end implants as well as the single stem implant. They even have metal implant. There just isn't any material in the world that can replace the original joint that the man upstairs gave us. Most implants were designed for low activity person with a gait cycle that the patients doesn't have a full
propulsive gait cycle