Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking for advice

Posted by Joe W on 12/10/00 at 16:27 (034597)

I'm a law enforcement officer, and triathlete/adventure racer. I had my first bout of plantar fascitis over a year ago, and it went away (I thought). This past June, I raced in an off road triathalon and afterwards have not been the same.
The pain is worse in the morning, then eases. I took a break from running for several weeks, then cut my weekly milage from 25 to 9 miles, the pain never went away.
I went to the pod, who started me on physical therapy, oral meds(daypro), it seemed to start helping. Being an impatient person, I still ran, but far less. I was thinking I could run through it. I quit physical therapy due to frustration.
On a follow up visit he fitted me for orthotics, and later gave me an injection. I have not been back since the injection. I was pain free for several days following the injection, but it came back. I was also not very compliant with the medicatons.
The orthotics helped at first, but now I'm having pain with them, pain has developed in the lateral aspect of my heel, as well as the medial aspect.
Several hours after running, I cannot walk without extreme pain.
Is this normal for the pain to come and go? Should I quit running all together? Is there a special way to wear the orthotics? Can I run in them, or do I need special ones? Any advice would be helpful,

Thanks

Re: Looking for advice

Kay S on 12/10/00 at 16:46 (034599)

This is the first time that I can be the first to tell you to read Scott's pf book, and do it now!
As much as you don't want to hear this, runnning is out until you get this problem under control. If you go back and read some of the histories from the people on this board, you will find that those of us who didn't take care of it (by resting at the start) are still suffering with pf years later. Look for Bob G's posts because he is a success story, and a runner, and has just started getting back into running again after a very long time. He offers some good advice, along with other people who have
'been there, done that'.
Good luck to you, Joe, and keep coming to this site to discuss your foot woes. There are some really nice people here who will help you find answers, although no one is a magician (that I know of) or has any solution to make you better immediately. But we all understand your frustration and pain.
Kay S.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/00 at 18:01 (034608)

You can cross train. Plantar fasciitis is a repetitive motion injury. Don't just focus on the plantar fasciitis. How is the strength and conditon of your entire lower extremity. Kay is telling it like it is. Stop running. Bike riding, swimming, stretching, but no impact sports such
as running, basketball, tennis, aerobic excercise.

Julie F on 12/11/00 at 02:07 (034645)

Joe

Also: don't go barefoot. Your arch needs constant support. Many people including myself like Birkenstocks, which have good arch support. Once you know your size (get fitted in a shop) you can order them on line for half the price at http://www,birkenstock-cn.com .

Taping may help you. When you read the PF Book you'll find instructions for various methods of taping: the first and simplest has worked best for me. Taping is a way of giving support to the arch, which allows the fascia to rest so that the healing process can take place.

Be patient: it takes time, but most cases get better with rest and proper treatment - you need to find the right combination of treatments that work for you.

Above all, inform yourself. The PF Book really is very good, the best source of information you will find. You will also learn a lot from people on this board who have 'been there'.

I wish you success!

Julie

john h on 12/11/00 at 10:39 (034674)

joe: you sound just like the route i took 7 years ago. i ran 7 days a week and continued to run through the pain and was left with chronic PF that left me unable to run. I strongly urge you to quit running for at least 3 months and allow this thing to heal. follow some of the advice on this board about iceing,stretching,etc. but for the moment STOP RUNNNING!!!!!!!!

john h on 12/11/00 at 10:42 (034675)

julie: i think joe is a policeman. will his fellow officers accept him in sandals? just kidding! joe you might want to know that in england PF is also known as Policeman's Foot.

Kris on 12/11/00 at 14:43 (034697)

John, I also am a police officer. I used to run 4 miles 3 times a week but let another officer talk me in to playing indoor soccer last Jan.and tore my feet up. I've regretted it ever since. I tried other activities other than running,ie biking, ecliptical machine, stair stepper and walking but they hurt the same so I still run occasionally. Do your feet kill you if you have to stand for an extended period of time? If you enjoy running, then freeze a sports water bottle.When you're done running roll your feet over the bottle for about 15 minutes. You can also do this at night or after you o.d. Make sure you stretch real good before and after your run. Anti-inflammatories such as iboprofen also help. My podiatrist fit me with night splints,they're kind of a make shift soft cast conformed to keep your feet positioned right. They're really attractive. He suggested a new treatment called Orthotripsy. Check out this web address. http://www.healthtronics.com Check out the info on 'Ossatron' for treatment of plantar fascitis. Hopefully I will have the procedure done in Jan/Feb. I hope it works because I'm sick amnd tired of my feet hurting! Good luck. Let me know if you are aware of any great treatment on the horizon. Sgt. Kris Borton

Julie F on 12/12/00 at 02:31 (034733)

Yes that's right, John, Policeman's Foot, or Policeman's Heel. Is it only in England that it's so known? Of course, it could also be Postman's Foot (or Heel).

Joe, I wasn't suggesting you appear on the beat in your Birks (though who knows, it could start a nice new earthy trend amongst the law enforcers) but for him to wear them at home. My feet go into mine as soon as I swing them over the side of the bed. Outdoors, it's good trainers (sneakers to you) with lots of sole-thickness and orthotics inside.

All the best, Julie

Joe W on 12/12/00 at 14:24 (034774)

Julie,
No worries, I didnt think you meant for me to wear Birks on the job(although they might look nice with my SWAT gear). Do you know where I can find some. I've seen the web page, but it would help to see and try on the actual shoe.
Also, I've been reading that Asics shoes are bad. Is that all Asics, or just a few models. Let me know which ones are best for marathons and off road running (for when I start running again in several months).
Thanks a lot for your input, I appreciate it

Joe

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 02:32 (034820)

Hi, Joe

The only place I know that stocks a full range of Birkenstocks is in Neal Street, in Covent Garden, London. A bit far for you? I thought so. I don't know where you can see them, but when you reply to this you can say where you live and maybe someone in your area will be able to help you. Or, look them up in the phone book in the big city nearest to you.

Birkenstock will size you on the basis of a tracing you supply of your foot, but it's obviously better if you can try them on first and are sure that you like them.

I can't answer your question about shoes - I know -more or less -what's right for me, I think, but I couldn't advise anyone else. If you post this question on the 'Orthotics/shoes' board, our resident orthotist-to-the-stars, Richard, will be able to help you. (He'll probably see it on this board anyway.)

All the best, Julie

Kay S on 12/10/00 at 16:46 (034599)

This is the first time that I can be the first to tell you to read Scott's pf book, and do it now!
As much as you don't want to hear this, runnning is out until you get this problem under control. If you go back and read some of the histories from the people on this board, you will find that those of us who didn't take care of it (by resting at the start) are still suffering with pf years later. Look for Bob G's posts because he is a success story, and a runner, and has just started getting back into running again after a very long time. He offers some good advice, along with other people who have
'been there, done that'.
Good luck to you, Joe, and keep coming to this site to discuss your foot woes. There are some really nice people here who will help you find answers, although no one is a magician (that I know of) or has any solution to make you better immediately. But we all understand your frustration and pain.
Kay S.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/00 at 18:01 (034608)

You can cross train. Plantar fasciitis is a repetitive motion injury. Don't just focus on the plantar fasciitis. How is the strength and conditon of your entire lower extremity. Kay is telling it like it is. Stop running. Bike riding, swimming, stretching, but no impact sports such
as running, basketball, tennis, aerobic excercise.

Julie F on 12/11/00 at 02:07 (034645)

Joe

Also: don't go barefoot. Your arch needs constant support. Many people including myself like Birkenstocks, which have good arch support. Once you know your size (get fitted in a shop) you can order them on line for half the price at http://www,birkenstock-cn.com .

Taping may help you. When you read the PF Book you'll find instructions for various methods of taping: the first and simplest has worked best for me. Taping is a way of giving support to the arch, which allows the fascia to rest so that the healing process can take place.

Be patient: it takes time, but most cases get better with rest and proper treatment - you need to find the right combination of treatments that work for you.

Above all, inform yourself. The PF Book really is very good, the best source of information you will find. You will also learn a lot from people on this board who have 'been there'.

I wish you success!

Julie

john h on 12/11/00 at 10:39 (034674)

joe: you sound just like the route i took 7 years ago. i ran 7 days a week and continued to run through the pain and was left with chronic PF that left me unable to run. I strongly urge you to quit running for at least 3 months and allow this thing to heal. follow some of the advice on this board about iceing,stretching,etc. but for the moment STOP RUNNNING!!!!!!!!

john h on 12/11/00 at 10:42 (034675)

julie: i think joe is a policeman. will his fellow officers accept him in sandals? just kidding! joe you might want to know that in england PF is also known as Policeman's Foot.

Kris on 12/11/00 at 14:43 (034697)

John, I also am a police officer. I used to run 4 miles 3 times a week but let another officer talk me in to playing indoor soccer last Jan.and tore my feet up. I've regretted it ever since. I tried other activities other than running,ie biking, ecliptical machine, stair stepper and walking but they hurt the same so I still run occasionally. Do your feet kill you if you have to stand for an extended period of time? If you enjoy running, then freeze a sports water bottle.When you're done running roll your feet over the bottle for about 15 minutes. You can also do this at night or after you o.d. Make sure you stretch real good before and after your run. Anti-inflammatories such as iboprofen also help. My podiatrist fit me with night splints,they're kind of a make shift soft cast conformed to keep your feet positioned right. They're really attractive. He suggested a new treatment called Orthotripsy. Check out this web address. http://www.healthtronics.com Check out the info on 'Ossatron' for treatment of plantar fascitis. Hopefully I will have the procedure done in Jan/Feb. I hope it works because I'm sick amnd tired of my feet hurting! Good luck. Let me know if you are aware of any great treatment on the horizon. Sgt. Kris Borton

Julie F on 12/12/00 at 02:31 (034733)

Yes that's right, John, Policeman's Foot, or Policeman's Heel. Is it only in England that it's so known? Of course, it could also be Postman's Foot (or Heel).

Joe, I wasn't suggesting you appear on the beat in your Birks (though who knows, it could start a nice new earthy trend amongst the law enforcers) but for him to wear them at home. My feet go into mine as soon as I swing them over the side of the bed. Outdoors, it's good trainers (sneakers to you) with lots of sole-thickness and orthotics inside.

All the best, Julie

Joe W on 12/12/00 at 14:24 (034774)

Julie,
No worries, I didnt think you meant for me to wear Birks on the job(although they might look nice with my SWAT gear). Do you know where I can find some. I've seen the web page, but it would help to see and try on the actual shoe.
Also, I've been reading that Asics shoes are bad. Is that all Asics, or just a few models. Let me know which ones are best for marathons and off road running (for when I start running again in several months).
Thanks a lot for your input, I appreciate it

Joe

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 02:32 (034820)

Hi, Joe

The only place I know that stocks a full range of Birkenstocks is in Neal Street, in Covent Garden, London. A bit far for you? I thought so. I don't know where you can see them, but when you reply to this you can say where you live and maybe someone in your area will be able to help you. Or, look them up in the phone book in the big city nearest to you.

Birkenstock will size you on the basis of a tracing you supply of your foot, but it's obviously better if you can try them on first and are sure that you like them.

I can't answer your question about shoes - I know -more or less -what's right for me, I think, but I couldn't advise anyone else. If you post this question on the 'Orthotics/shoes' board, our resident orthotist-to-the-stars, Richard, will be able to help you. (He'll probably see it on this board anyway.)

All the best, Julie