Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

please help!!

Posted by jan w on 12/10/00 at 20:38 (034632)

hello everyone, just to refresh you i posted a couple weeks ago i work at the post office and have a severe case of plantar fascitis, i have had it for 3 months with no relief at all.. i have taken celebrex, shots, stretching, icing, walking boot, night splints, I switched dr's he wanted to do another shot and ordered physical therapy, he gave me the night splint, i have been coming home from work in tears in unbelievable pain, i limp and pretty much stagger into the house and drop on the couch, my husband gets me a hot bucket of water, and tylenol, this is our routine, at this point i need crutches or a walker, why can't I find a dr. who will help me, what am i supposed to do now? the post office won;t give me light duty because they say it is not job related, yet dr. z said in a previous post the plantar fascitis is repeptitive motion injury..i am so frustaed i feel i would have been better off to have broken my foot then i would have a cast and each day it would get a little better and ib 6 to 8 weeks i would be healed. with this condition it is constant pain with no relief and doesn't seem to be anything the dr, can do to help me, i am ready for pain killers.. some nights i can't sleep my feet throb so much..i go to the dr, tomorrow amd will beg him to please help me, any advice appreciated .. thanks Jan

Re: please help!!

Julie F on 12/11/00 at 02:37 (034648)

Dear Jan

But your plantar fasciitis IS job-related. Being on one's feet all the time is one of the major causes. You need a letter from your doctor confirming this so that the PO will give you light duties. I hope you can persuade him to do you a letter when you see him tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/11/00 at 03:16 (034656)

I agree your doctor needs to realize that you need to rest the foot. Get a letter. Your may be a good case for a removeable cast at this time. Vioxx is a very good antimflamtory med for this type of pain. Try hot to cold soaks . Search the engine for this formula. Alan had a the formula.
There is a cyrocuff which puts very cold water around the foot and ankle all nite so that you can sleep . I like to use it for severe foot and ankle pain.

Jennifer Denise Aguilar on 12/12/00 at 10:29 (034759)

Hi Jan O my God! Everything you had just said in your message is the exact replica of whats going on in my life, I really feel for you. The only thing that has helped me get through the day is: as you stand strait up bend all the way to the ground and put your hands as far as they can til you can touch the ground and stay that way for 40 secs. then cross one foot infront of the other and do the same for fourty secs. Then rotate the other foot in front and do the same.Make sure your leg is completely strait. While you are stretching you will feel a burning itching feeling but as soon as you stand up you will feel like you really stretched your feet and what I realized is your facia is conected to your calve muscle so you really need to keep that stretched or it will be really tight and that is why its so painful to walk. This should keep your feet feeling some what normal for the next hour.Its better than nothing. Just every min. you get at work when your standing, do this exercise you will feel some relief for a couple of hours. Try praying. Jennifer

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 02:21 (034819)

I really hate to sound like the voice of doom every time someone posts an exercise that has helped them, but we really do have to be careful when giving advice to people we do not know, and whose age and general physical condition, awareness of body, and experience of exercise we do not know.

Denise, the stretch you describe is an awfully strong one. I'm glad if it has helped you, but it could easily overstretch the fascia and the achilles tendon. Anyone with tight calf muscles would find it agonizing and possibly injurious. And if an ordinarily stiff, middle-aged person with a low back problem tried it it could add a back injury to their problems.

So please be careful, folks. On another thread, I've just posted a message to Wendy, hopefully to help her with her practice of the shoulder stand. I know she practices yoga, and I know she is reasonably fit and body-aware. So the message was from me, a teacher with many years of experience of teaching this exercise, to her, a person whom I know will understand what I'm saying and be able to act on it without hurting herself. I wouldn't expect or want anyone without yoga experience to think, oh great, I'll try that too. And I hope no-one does!

All the best, Julie

Re: please help!! - Jan, how did you get on?

Julie F on 12/14/00 at 03:09 (034929)

Jan, I've been thinking about you and wondering how you got on at the doctor. Did you get a letter from him to show to your employers at the Post Office? Have there been any developments? Do let us know.

All the best, Julie

Re: please help!! - to Jan

Julie F on 12/14/00 at 03:12 (034930)

Jan, I just tried to post a message but it doesn't seem to have come up. It said that I've been thinking about you and wondering how you got on at the doctor's the other day. Is he going to give you a letter for your employers at the Post Office? Have there been any developments? And how are you feeling now? Do let us know.

All the best, Julie

james on 12/22/00 at 20:51 (035324)

i had the same problem and it lasted 3 years i just had surgery and i am still waiteing to see if it works

Julie F on 12/11/00 at 02:37 (034648)

Dear Jan

But your plantar fasciitis IS job-related. Being on one's feet all the time is one of the major causes. You need a letter from your doctor confirming this so that the PO will give you light duties. I hope you can persuade him to do you a letter when you see him tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/11/00 at 03:16 (034656)

I agree your doctor needs to realize that you need to rest the foot. Get a letter. Your may be a good case for a removeable cast at this time. Vioxx is a very good antimflamtory med for this type of pain. Try hot to cold soaks . Search the engine for this formula. Alan had a the formula.
There is a cyrocuff which puts very cold water around the foot and ankle all nite so that you can sleep . I like to use it for severe foot and ankle pain.

Jennifer Denise Aguilar on 12/12/00 at 10:29 (034759)

Hi Jan O my God! Everything you had just said in your message is the exact replica of whats going on in my life, I really feel for you. The only thing that has helped me get through the day is: as you stand strait up bend all the way to the ground and put your hands as far as they can til you can touch the ground and stay that way for 40 secs. then cross one foot infront of the other and do the same for fourty secs. Then rotate the other foot in front and do the same.Make sure your leg is completely strait. While you are stretching you will feel a burning itching feeling but as soon as you stand up you will feel like you really stretched your feet and what I realized is your facia is conected to your calve muscle so you really need to keep that stretched or it will be really tight and that is why its so painful to walk. This should keep your feet feeling some what normal for the next hour.Its better than nothing. Just every min. you get at work when your standing, do this exercise you will feel some relief for a couple of hours. Try praying. Jennifer

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 02:21 (034819)

I really hate to sound like the voice of doom every time someone posts an exercise that has helped them, but we really do have to be careful when giving advice to people we do not know, and whose age and general physical condition, awareness of body, and experience of exercise we do not know.

Denise, the stretch you describe is an awfully strong one. I'm glad if it has helped you, but it could easily overstretch the fascia and the achilles tendon. Anyone with tight calf muscles would find it agonizing and possibly injurious. And if an ordinarily stiff, middle-aged person with a low back problem tried it it could add a back injury to their problems.

So please be careful, folks. On another thread, I've just posted a message to Wendy, hopefully to help her with her practice of the shoulder stand. I know she practices yoga, and I know she is reasonably fit and body-aware. So the message was from me, a teacher with many years of experience of teaching this exercise, to her, a person whom I know will understand what I'm saying and be able to act on it without hurting herself. I wouldn't expect or want anyone without yoga experience to think, oh great, I'll try that too. And I hope no-one does!

All the best, Julie

Re: please help!! - Jan, how did you get on?

Julie F on 12/14/00 at 03:09 (034929)

Jan, I've been thinking about you and wondering how you got on at the doctor. Did you get a letter from him to show to your employers at the Post Office? Have there been any developments? Do let us know.

All the best, Julie

Re: please help!! - to Jan

Julie F on 12/14/00 at 03:12 (034930)

Jan, I just tried to post a message but it doesn't seem to have come up. It said that I've been thinking about you and wondering how you got on at the doctor's the other day. Is he going to give you a letter for your employers at the Post Office? Have there been any developments? And how are you feeling now? Do let us know.

All the best, Julie

james on 12/22/00 at 20:51 (035324)

i had the same problem and it lasted 3 years i just had surgery and i am still waiteing to see if it works