Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciitis

Posted by AnitaR on 12/11/00 at 11:46 (034688)

I have had plantar fasciitis about a year now. I have had three injections of Celestone, stretching exercises, $275 orthotics, night splints, NSAIDS such as Vioxx, Celebrex, and Motrin, and last a injection of Kenalog. Out of all these treatments, I have found that the kenalog injection has helped the most. Even with injections, my problem usually returns in a few weeks. I want to know how often can you get these injections and are there any long term complications of such?

Re: plantar fasciitis

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/11/00 at 21:51 (034709)

Yes there are limitations to the amount of steriod injections into the foot. Read the abstract from this web site about the dangers of steriod injections. There is an incidence of about 8% of patients that received two steriod injections had developed a pf rupture. So take a look at this

Re: Steroid injection limitations

Helene M on 12/12/00 at 11:07 (034763)

Dr. Zuckerman, I'm curious about limitations. I've read that up to 3 injections are ok. However, does that mean it's ok to have, for example, up to 3 injections in the heel & up to 3 in the tarsal tunnel area of the same foot? Or are more than 3 total injections anywhere in the same foot bad?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/12/00 at 21:00 (034798)

You have to be careful about steriod injections. There is a study that up to 8% of patients that had just two steriod injections developed ruptures about two months down the road. Each and every patient is different but you have to be very careful with any kind of steriod injection. Having three injections or one area and then another three in not good for your foot.

Re: plantar fasciitis

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/11/00 at 21:51 (034709)

Yes there are limitations to the amount of steriod injections into the foot. Read the abstract from this web site about the dangers of steriod injections. There is an incidence of about 8% of patients that received two steriod injections had developed a pf rupture. So take a look at this

Helene M on 12/12/00 at 11:07 (034763)

Dr. Zuckerman, I'm curious about limitations. I've read that up to 3 injections are ok. However, does that mean it's ok to have, for example, up to 3 injections in the heel & up to 3 in the tarsal tunnel area of the same foot? Or are more than 3 total injections anywhere in the same foot bad?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/12/00 at 21:00 (034798)

You have to be careful about steriod injections. There is a study that up to 8% of patients that had just two steriod injections developed ruptures about two months down the road. Each and every patient is different but you have to be very careful with any kind of steriod injection. Having three injections or one area and then another three in not good for your foot.