Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

update-- kind of good news!!!

Posted by Kevin B. on 12/11/00 at 21:00 (034704)

hi everyone-- i haven't felt any pain in the past seven days, and i attribute a lot of this to the amount of stretching i have been doing. i think a lot of the reason it has taken so long to heal is because my bed in the drom room is on the top bunk, so the step down is a big one. i am stretching my feet using a towel three to four times a day especially before i get out of bed, not doing ANY running whatsoever, getting massage and ultrasound three times a week, and taking two heat whirlpools a day and one ice whirlpool a day. i am awaiting the arrival of FootFlex (does anyone know how long that takes to ship?) and also for my orthodic inserts. i am very excited about this breakthrough, because this is by far the longest i have been without pain since mid september. also to avoid anymore warnings (which i DO appreciate, as frustrating as it is to hear) i don't plan on even thinking about running for at least another two to three weeks, and will be icing and stretching religiously while i am waiting to run while i'm home for christmas break. there is one bad point to this email, though, while my fascia is perfectly fine right now, or at least healing, i have mild pain on the outside of my foot, kind of close to the heel, and was today told by the school's trainer that this is not plantar fasciitis anymore, that is almost better, but this is peroneal tendonitis. AARRRGGG!!!! does anyone know anything about this at all, like if it is common to develop it and if it is more treatable than PF??!! any recommended treatments would be appreciated. thank you again......kevin b.

Re: update-- kind of good news!!!

Nancy S. on 12/11/00 at 21:47 (034706)

Hi, Kevin -- many congratulations on being pain-free for a week! That's a great accomplishment, and I can certainly tell from your post that you're working hard at getting better. If you start to think about running again in two or three weeks, do you plan to be VERY cautious, start out at a very slow pace and a very short distance, and work up very gradually from there, listening to your feet all the way and backing off if you have pain? Big hint here, and not too subtle, eh?
Kevin, I too developed peroneal tendonitis after quite a long time of trying to cope with PF. (Actually peroneal, achilles, and posterior tendonitis hit me pretty much all at once.) Do you have swelling, and is it tender to the touch? I thought (or hoped) that these extra pains were just side effects of PF and tried to ignore them for 2 or 3 months -- big mistake. By that time the tendons were all swollen and inflamed, and they became as much of a problem as PF itself.
It sounds like you have caught it early on.
The treatment is pretty similar to that for PF: rest, ice, rest some more, stretching (only to the point of NO pain), rest some more. In physical therapy I had ultrasound, iontophoresis (you might ask about that -- I believe it helped me), and deep massage.
Your custom orthotics, if they turn out to be good ones, should help a lot. Mine are; I've had them for a month now.
I'm finally starting to really improve, and what a thrill! But I have to tell you, these things do take time, and peroneal tendonitis is no exception. If you still have this two or three weeks from now, I urge you not to run! Please wait until the pain is gone -- you can test it by walking increasing distances and see how you do painwise.
Ok, warnings aside, I can hear your happiness at the results of your hard work and probably reluctant patience, and I heartily congratulate you! I hope you keep feeling good, and keep taking care of those feet because that's the only way you'll reach your goal to run again.
Best to you
from Nancy

Bob G. on 12/12/00 at 01:08 (034732)

just take it slow and monitor as you go...i know you will. Goog luck, and don't be afraid to rest or cut back. BG

Julie F on 12/12/00 at 03:06 (034739)

Hi Kevin

That IS good news, and it IS great that you're looking after yourself. Please, though, listen to Nancy's good sense. I won't repeat what she's said, but your remark about your upper bunk leapt out at me! If you're coming down hard on your foot from that great height, it isn't doing you any good. Can you change to a lower?

Keep up the good work - and have a good Christmas.

All the best, Julie

Donna S on 12/12/00 at 03:25 (034740)

Hi Kevin,

I'm glad you're doing so well. I developed severe peroneal tendonitis along with PF too, but my doctor didn't pick up on it right away. The heel pain along the edges of the heel and foot can be worse then the PF pain. Especially if you let it go, and don't get it treated. Once my doctor diagnosed me for that, and I got the PT for it I'm improving immensly in that area, and the edge heel pain has been reduced by around 75% if not more. I though my fascia was almost cured too until I went without my orthotics one day last week. It got inflamed again, but I had very little edge heel pain.

Bascially, to cure peroneal tendonitits, you need PT directly on the calves. I've been getting deep tissue massage, and ultra sound on the peroneals, and entire calves, not just the foot, 3 times a week, for the past 6 weeks. In between PT sessions I massage my calves, and the peroneals myself, and apply ice there. If you put your finger right in back of the ankle bone on the outside of your leg, and drop down a little, you'll feel a little groove, and may feel a tight knot, or tenderness there. That's one of the areas the PT needs to be concentrated on. I didn't even know that was sore, until the therapist touched me there. It's mostly gone in that area now. Also, the night splits have made a tremendous difference. All the stretching in the world didn't help me like these splints do. Peroneal tendonitis in general seems to respond very quickly to PT if treated correctly. Considering I was suffering with it for over a year along with the PF, 6 weeks seems like nothing, but I will continue having it treated until I get over the PF.

Also, I went to see a MD who specializes in rehabilation medicine, because it seemed like I was supinating more since I got the PF, and I was starting to have minor low back pain. He did some gentle back manipulation that helped, but he said 90% of the cure is getting your body back in balance, by doing some simple exercise to improve balance. For example, he has
me standing on one leg at a time for around 30 seconds a couple times a day, and eventually I'll use a wobble board. This is also strenghting my calves, and peroneals. Also he recommended more abdominal strengthing, and showed me other simple exercises to put the body in balance. I work out with weights, and am doing crosstraing on other equipment, bike, swimming, etc., but the simple exercises he gave me has helped reduce the heel pain too.

Also check your shoes, and make sure the outsides are not worn down. Usually you get peroneal tendonitis if you have a high arch and supinate. The other thing that could cause it is if some outside source like a running shoe with medial post is pushing you to the outside of your feet which would aggrevate peroneal tendonitis. If so, go to a neutral stable shoe with a good heel counter. A cross trainer would be better for now, because of the lateral support. Also make sure who ever made your orthotics has put lateral support in them.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I wouldn't think of running over the holidays, or for a very long time. You'll kick yourself later, and undo all the good you've been doing.

Keep up the good work. Donna

Nancy S. on 12/11/00 at 21:47 (034706)

Hi, Kevin -- many congratulations on being pain-free for a week! That's a great accomplishment, and I can certainly tell from your post that you're working hard at getting better. If you start to think about running again in two or three weeks, do you plan to be VERY cautious, start out at a very slow pace and a very short distance, and work up very gradually from there, listening to your feet all the way and backing off if you have pain? Big hint here, and not too subtle, eh?
Kevin, I too developed peroneal tendonitis after quite a long time of trying to cope with PF. (Actually peroneal, achilles, and posterior tendonitis hit me pretty much all at once.) Do you have swelling, and is it tender to the touch? I thought (or hoped) that these extra pains were just side effects of PF and tried to ignore them for 2 or 3 months -- big mistake. By that time the tendons were all swollen and inflamed, and they became as much of a problem as PF itself.
It sounds like you have caught it early on.
The treatment is pretty similar to that for PF: rest, ice, rest some more, stretching (only to the point of NO pain), rest some more. In physical therapy I had ultrasound, iontophoresis (you might ask about that -- I believe it helped me), and deep massage.
Your custom orthotics, if they turn out to be good ones, should help a lot. Mine are; I've had them for a month now.
I'm finally starting to really improve, and what a thrill! But I have to tell you, these things do take time, and peroneal tendonitis is no exception. If you still have this two or three weeks from now, I urge you not to run! Please wait until the pain is gone -- you can test it by walking increasing distances and see how you do painwise.
Ok, warnings aside, I can hear your happiness at the results of your hard work and probably reluctant patience, and I heartily congratulate you! I hope you keep feeling good, and keep taking care of those feet because that's the only way you'll reach your goal to run again.
Best to you
from Nancy

Bob G. on 12/12/00 at 01:08 (034732)

just take it slow and monitor as you go...i know you will. Goog luck, and don't be afraid to rest or cut back. BG

Julie F on 12/12/00 at 03:06 (034739)

Hi Kevin

That IS good news, and it IS great that you're looking after yourself. Please, though, listen to Nancy's good sense. I won't repeat what she's said, but your remark about your upper bunk leapt out at me! If you're coming down hard on your foot from that great height, it isn't doing you any good. Can you change to a lower?

Keep up the good work - and have a good Christmas.

All the best, Julie

Donna S on 12/12/00 at 03:25 (034740)

Hi Kevin,

I'm glad you're doing so well. I developed severe peroneal tendonitis along with PF too, but my doctor didn't pick up on it right away. The heel pain along the edges of the heel and foot can be worse then the PF pain. Especially if you let it go, and don't get it treated. Once my doctor diagnosed me for that, and I got the PT for it I'm improving immensly in that area, and the edge heel pain has been reduced by around 75% if not more. I though my fascia was almost cured too until I went without my orthotics one day last week. It got inflamed again, but I had very little edge heel pain.

Bascially, to cure peroneal tendonitits, you need PT directly on the calves. I've been getting deep tissue massage, and ultra sound on the peroneals, and entire calves, not just the foot, 3 times a week, for the past 6 weeks. In between PT sessions I massage my calves, and the peroneals myself, and apply ice there. If you put your finger right in back of the ankle bone on the outside of your leg, and drop down a little, you'll feel a little groove, and may feel a tight knot, or tenderness there. That's one of the areas the PT needs to be concentrated on. I didn't even know that was sore, until the therapist touched me there. It's mostly gone in that area now. Also, the night splits have made a tremendous difference. All the stretching in the world didn't help me like these splints do. Peroneal tendonitis in general seems to respond very quickly to PT if treated correctly. Considering I was suffering with it for over a year along with the PF, 6 weeks seems like nothing, but I will continue having it treated until I get over the PF.

Also, I went to see a MD who specializes in rehabilation medicine, because it seemed like I was supinating more since I got the PF, and I was starting to have minor low back pain. He did some gentle back manipulation that helped, but he said 90% of the cure is getting your body back in balance, by doing some simple exercise to improve balance. For example, he has
me standing on one leg at a time for around 30 seconds a couple times a day, and eventually I'll use a wobble board. This is also strenghting my calves, and peroneals. Also he recommended more abdominal strengthing, and showed me other simple exercises to put the body in balance. I work out with weights, and am doing crosstraing on other equipment, bike, swimming, etc., but the simple exercises he gave me has helped reduce the heel pain too.

Also check your shoes, and make sure the outsides are not worn down. Usually you get peroneal tendonitis if you have a high arch and supinate. The other thing that could cause it is if some outside source like a running shoe with medial post is pushing you to the outside of your feet which would aggrevate peroneal tendonitis. If so, go to a neutral stable shoe with a good heel counter. A cross trainer would be better for now, because of the lateral support. Also make sure who ever made your orthotics has put lateral support in them.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I wouldn't think of running over the holidays, or for a very long time. You'll kick yourself later, and undo all the good you've been doing.

Keep up the good work. Donna