Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF release.......

Posted by JudyS on 12/11/00 at 22:12 (034716)

some of you may recall that I've mentioned my husband's successful PF release surgery a couple of years ago. I was reminded, when I read Abby's posts, that this may be a good time to provide an update on hubby's surgery. I've said all along that it was successful and that he was back to running 6-7 miles several times a week. The surgery was the 'open' style, from the side and included some release with spur removal. He's been doing very well......UNTIL RECENTLY. In the last few weeks he's had reoccuring heel pain in both feet. Doctor Judy's diagnosis is this; he's been over-training, with little or no stretching, in poor-quality running shoes. That's a fact. Do I get to say 'I told you so' to him? I'd been trying so hard to get him to understand that he was setting himself up for problems again.
So, yes, surgery can certainly be successful. But I suspect it may not be a panacea of relief for the long haul (lifetime, that is) if one doesn't exercise extreme care to be smart about their feet.

Re: the nightsplint

Bob G. on 12/12/00 at 00:50 (034729)

for those who cope with the nightsplint,

there comes a point when the nightsplint becomes your friend,

it then becomes VERY bearable...

Re: PF release.......

Bob G. on 12/12/00 at 01:00 (034730)

Sorry, Judy! Hey, but this is my birthday and I'm having fun! I am sorry, and I didn't mean to respond like this...jeez...he should be wearing the right gear and stretchiing...you are right, sorry to interupt...

Abby on 12/13/00 at 10:12 (034841)

What is the night splint?

Re: Night Splint

Bob G. on 12/13/00 at 14:58 (034858)

Helly Abby,

Just do a search under 'nightsplint' - or, go to your favorite search engine and do a search. BG

Nancy S. on 12/13/00 at 16:05 (034865)

Abby, the night splint is a soft (usually!) and lightweight but firm kind of boot you can wear at rest or during sleep. Some are adjustable, some are not. The main purpose is to prevent your foot from going into a pointed position while you're sleeping, therefore keeping the fascia from contracting and then experiencing the microtears that can occur when you first get up and walk. Most night splints also allow you to set your foot a bit dorsiflexed, so that it not only prevents contraction of the fascia but provides a little stretch.
There's one night splint pictured on Scott's products page here. But you'll see many different kinds if you do a search on the web. I like the Johnson & Johnson blue night splint myself -- very comfortable.
Nancy

john h on 12/13/00 at 16:49 (034868)

judy: sorry to hear about your husbands setback. i think that after a PF release one should give thought to giving up running for a couple of years and maybe forever. find a new activity. as a former addicted runner i know that is easier said than done.

As i sit here writing this there is a monster ice storm going on and a gigantic pine tree limb about 6' in diameter just crashed on to my roof and deck just outside my window. scared the h-- out of me. do not know if there is any roof damage or deck damage as the limb is bigger than most trees. hope this is not some sort of omen. temp last night was -20 windchill and for little rock that is cooooooold.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/13/00 at 20:00 (034894)

I always told you that hell will freeze over before William Clinton comes home to visit. I can't wait for our first storm . I love the winter and all the ice and snow. It slows the world down so that you can appreciate life.

Dr. Z on 12/13/00 at 20:06 (034895)

He has probaby learned his lesson. He still can get back to being pain free. but he has to rest , stop running. Water stretchng at this point.
He could use either the nite splint or personal foot trainer. As we get older the other muscles such as the achilles tendon and the extensor and the flexor Dig Brevis get old and lose their flexiblilty . Take a look at mike wilmott booklet on stetching and his theory . No bare feet. He got rid of this once and he can do this again. ESWT may be a good treatment if the pain does start to go away.

I am going to play my first basketball game in fifteen years this weekend. So I am glad that I have been reminded that Dr.Z must stretch, and not over do this.

john h on 12/14/00 at 10:30 (034946)

dr z: i may have posted this but paul harvey today said: you can understand why al gore thinks he is vice president when the best rap singer in the country is white, the worlds best golfer is black, and bill clinton just got back from viet nam.

Re: the nightsplint

Bob G. on 12/12/00 at 00:50 (034729)

for those who cope with the nightsplint,

there comes a point when the nightsplint becomes your friend,

it then becomes VERY bearable...

Bob G. on 12/12/00 at 01:00 (034730)

Sorry, Judy! Hey, but this is my birthday and I'm having fun! I am sorry, and I didn't mean to respond like this...jeez...he should be wearing the right gear and stretchiing...you are right, sorry to interupt...

Abby on 12/13/00 at 10:12 (034841)

What is the night splint?

Re: Night Splint

Bob G. on 12/13/00 at 14:58 (034858)

Helly Abby,

Just do a search under 'nightsplint' - or, go to your favorite search engine and do a search. BG

Nancy S. on 12/13/00 at 16:05 (034865)

Abby, the night splint is a soft (usually!) and lightweight but firm kind of boot you can wear at rest or during sleep. Some are adjustable, some are not. The main purpose is to prevent your foot from going into a pointed position while you're sleeping, therefore keeping the fascia from contracting and then experiencing the microtears that can occur when you first get up and walk. Most night splints also allow you to set your foot a bit dorsiflexed, so that it not only prevents contraction of the fascia but provides a little stretch.
There's one night splint pictured on Scott's products page here. But you'll see many different kinds if you do a search on the web. I like the Johnson & Johnson blue night splint myself -- very comfortable.
Nancy

john h on 12/13/00 at 16:49 (034868)

judy: sorry to hear about your husbands setback. i think that after a PF release one should give thought to giving up running for a couple of years and maybe forever. find a new activity. as a former addicted runner i know that is easier said than done.

As i sit here writing this there is a monster ice storm going on and a gigantic pine tree limb about 6' in diameter just crashed on to my roof and deck just outside my window. scared the h-- out of me. do not know if there is any roof damage or deck damage as the limb is bigger than most trees. hope this is not some sort of omen. temp last night was -20 windchill and for little rock that is cooooooold.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/13/00 at 20:00 (034894)

I always told you that hell will freeze over before William Clinton comes home to visit. I can't wait for our first storm . I love the winter and all the ice and snow. It slows the world down so that you can appreciate life.

Dr. Z on 12/13/00 at 20:06 (034895)

He has probaby learned his lesson. He still can get back to being pain free. but he has to rest , stop running. Water stretchng at this point.
He could use either the nite splint or personal foot trainer. As we get older the other muscles such as the achilles tendon and the extensor and the flexor Dig Brevis get old and lose their flexiblilty . Take a look at mike wilmott booklet on stetching and his theory . No bare feet. He got rid of this once and he can do this again. ESWT may be a good treatment if the pain does start to go away.

I am going to play my first basketball game in fifteen years this weekend. So I am glad that I have been reminded that Dr.Z must stretch, and not over do this.

john h on 12/14/00 at 10:30 (034946)

dr z: i may have posted this but paul harvey today said: you can understand why al gore thinks he is vice president when the best rap singer in the country is white, the worlds best golfer is black, and bill clinton just got back from viet nam.