Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OssaTron treatment

Posted by Karin L. on 12/12/00 at 09:17 (034753)

Dear Dr. Z,
I have done all the conservative treatments for PF including surgery. I have had PF for 2 years and am now scheduled for the OssaTron treatment on the 22nd of Dec. My Dr. says that this is a 15 min. procedure & that I will be able to walk out of the outpatient surgery center after the anesthetic wears off. I have heard conflicting reports about being in a cast for up to 2 months, however my Dr. says this is not necessary. They have found that there is minimal pain & that results are showing improvement after 4 weeks. Is casting necessary to the healing process? I really don't want to do anything that would jeopardize the success rate of the treatment. Your comments would be helpful and welcomed.
Thank you,
Karin

Re: OssaTron treatment

Jennifer Denise Aguilar on 12/12/00 at 10:13 (034757)

Hello Karen,

I to have PF for about seven months and I don't see any improvement. I constantly think this will never heal and I will never be able to walk normal for a long period of time again. I have no answers for you but I was wondering if you might know where there is a doctor that might be using the OssaTron near San Diego, or somewhere remotely close. I have read good things about this equipment and if I had the opportunity and money I would do it.

Jennifer

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/12/00 at 20:39 (034792)

You will be numb after the procedure. Some people have pain after ESWT but this is rare. I don't use a cast as a regular part of my treatment. I have used elastic ankle supports , powersteps., personal trainer, I like the patient to be without casts, but some won't rest the foot. I like to use removeable cast if on the rare occasions they are needed. I like the ankle boot cast. The sound waves have a healing effect up to twelve weeks.

Most healing and pain relief take place between week six to week twelve.

I do all of my procedures without general and or IV sedation. The procedure with the orbasone takes about 33 minutes of treatment. You may need a second treatment. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/12/00 at 20:41 (034793)

Take a look at Scott's treatment locations. There are ossatron's and orbasone's on the West Coast

Karin L. on 12/12/00 at 21:40 (034805)

Jennifer,
I am not familiar with Dr.s on the west coast, but do know that Bakersfield is supposed to be getting a machine this year. On the ESWT site, there is a section that lists all the facilities that currently have the machines and also those facilities that will be getting them in the near future. Thank goodness my Dr. is one of the six in the U.S. that has the OssaTron. Will let you know how it goes...it can't be worse than what I have gone through for the past 20 months.
Karin

Joanne Schunter on 2/05/01 at 12:42 (038229)

What is the ESWT site? Any information on this treatment in the San Francisco / San Jose / Oakland, California area? Karin - have you had your treatment? Results?

Jennifer Denise Aguilar on 12/12/00 at 10:13 (034757)

Hello Karen,

I to have PF for about seven months and I don't see any improvement. I constantly think this will never heal and I will never be able to walk normal for a long period of time again. I have no answers for you but I was wondering if you might know where there is a doctor that might be using the OssaTron near San Diego, or somewhere remotely close. I have read good things about this equipment and if I had the opportunity and money I would do it.

Jennifer

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/12/00 at 20:39 (034792)

You will be numb after the procedure. Some people have pain after ESWT but this is rare. I don't use a cast as a regular part of my treatment. I have used elastic ankle supports , powersteps., personal trainer, I like the patient to be without casts, but some won't rest the foot. I like to use removeable cast if on the rare occasions they are needed. I like the ankle boot cast. The sound waves have a healing effect up to twelve weeks.

Most healing and pain relief take place between week six to week twelve.

I do all of my procedures without general and or IV sedation. The procedure with the orbasone takes about 33 minutes of treatment. You may need a second treatment. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/12/00 at 20:41 (034793)

Take a look at Scott's treatment locations. There are ossatron's and orbasone's on the West Coast

Karin L. on 12/12/00 at 21:40 (034805)

Jennifer,
I am not familiar with Dr.s on the west coast, but do know that Bakersfield is supposed to be getting a machine this year. On the ESWT site, there is a section that lists all the facilities that currently have the machines and also those facilities that will be getting them in the near future. Thank goodness my Dr. is one of the six in the U.S. that has the OssaTron. Will let you know how it goes...it can't be worse than what I have gone through for the past 20 months.
Karin

Joanne Schunter on 2/05/01 at 12:42 (038229)

What is the ESWT site? Any information on this treatment in the San Francisco / San Jose / Oakland, California area? Karin - have you had your treatment? Results?