Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglund's / EPF Update: Scratched Until March 28th!!!!!

Posted by Bruce on 12/12/00 at 20:10 (034790)

Well, everyone, thanks for your advice. After more consideration over the weekend, I agreed with your unanimous opinion that double-Haglund's would be unwise. I decided on Haglund's and EPF on right foot only at this time... and then something unfortunate happened. I have a migraine condition, and was having headaches off and last Mon-Wed, then they got excruciating Thur P.M. through Mon. Nothing my neurologist had given me really touched it. My neurologist got stuck in the snow Monday, so I was told to go the ER. Finally saw neurologist today. Diagnosis: repeated migraines over last ten days have resulted in inflammation of the nerve endings on the surface of my brain (sounds gruesome, doesn't it!). Painful, but not unusual, apparently. (Yes I had CT scan, etc. to rule out anything more serious.) Upshot: I can be drugged out on Vicodin until this recedes (remember the 3 & 5 yr. olds!), or take steroid Prednisone. This would speed up removal of the nerve inflammation, but it would slow healing process of surgery. Either way, surgeon doesn't feel comfortable working on me when I'm not otherwise feeling good.

So, due to work schedule, I'll now have to wait until the March date. And yes, it will be only the right foot! Without question, this is very disappointing, but we foot sufferers know that patience is a virtue.

Thanks for right advice, everybody!!!

Re: Haglund's / EPF Update: Scratched Until March 28th!!!!!

wendyn on 12/12/00 at 21:50 (034807)

Some people take prednisone to help with a chronic case of PF. There's always the off chance you may see a reduction in your foot pain from prednisone. Who knows?

Re: prednisone may help, but warning

alan k on 12/13/00 at 07:32 (034825)

I took a five day course of prednisone and thought it did help a little, though not lasting after it was over.

About prednisone and healing: while I took it I slipped a little in the bathroom and lightly banged my chest on the tub (this was during my crawling-on-the-floor-and-not-walking-on-feet-until-they-are-soaked-hot therapy, which I think was effective). My chest was supernaturally painful and did not heal in the least until I was off the prednisone. It should have been a little sore for a day, but instead was painful way out of proportion to what it should have been.

In my experience, at least, the prednisone is a very serious blocker of healing and though I am not a surgeon obviously, I would imagine it would seriously inhibit the healing from surgery, based on my little boo-boo.

alan k

wendyn on 12/13/00 at 09:10 (034833)

You are absolutely right Alan. Prednisone is a serious drug, with potentially serious side effects. I have been pretty anti-drug historically though - so I didn't know if anyone wanted me to say it again.

Re: Thx for "heads-up" on prednisone warning

Bruce on 12/13/00 at 14:55 (034857)

Thanks for the 'heads-up' about how seriously prednisone can slow normal healing. I'm just glad I whacked my head on the edge of the bathroom door frame on SATURDAY, not TUESDAY when I started taking the prednisone!!! Not that I LIKE cracking my head on something when I already have a migraine, but sounds like Saturday was the better day to do it! I will try to be extra careful the next four weeks....

Barbara TX on 12/13/00 at 15:44 (034863)

I took a prednisone dosepack for 10 days with no relief, but I did think that it helped Scott R. But, I suppose you have to make a judgement call about when to try stuff that might have other nasty effects. I had no ill effects that I know of, and I tried it in November. I think that people on other steroids (for asthma and such) should remind their doctor of this (twice) if they are thinking of trying it. B.

Sarah on 12/20/00 at 09:32 (035245)

Bruce,

I'm so sorry you had this delay on the surgery. I just had my surgery yesterday and it was successful. My doctor said the tendon and bursal sacs were not inflamed, so the only problem was the bump. That's good news. I am actually in lots of pain right now but that's normal, they say first 24 hours is worst. Am on crutches, have an ace bandage and gauze. Stitches come out in 2 weeks. Doc says area could be tender for up to 3 months. Just trying to give you an idea of what it will be like.

Best of luck,
Sarah

Bruce on 12/25/00 at 18:07 (035388)

Thanks, Sarah.

I apprecaiate what you said. It's been tough emotionally, but I'm OK with the delay now. I'm sure it will work out for the best... three more months may give my PF time to clear up with the new orthotics, etc. To only have to deal with Haglund's would simplify things. Also, in central Illinois, the end of March is definitely a better time to have surgery than December. It's already been terrible here!

I'm really glad things are proceeding according to plan for you. Keep a good journal of your post-op and I will check back in a couple months.

Congratulations!

Bruce

wendyn on 12/12/00 at 21:50 (034807)

Some people take prednisone to help with a chronic case of PF. There's always the off chance you may see a reduction in your foot pain from prednisone. Who knows?

alan k on 12/13/00 at 07:32 (034825)

I took a five day course of prednisone and thought it did help a little, though not lasting after it was over.

About prednisone and healing: while I took it I slipped a little in the bathroom and lightly banged my chest on the tub (this was during my crawling-on-the-floor-and-not-walking-on-feet-until-they-are-soaked-hot therapy, which I think was effective). My chest was supernaturally painful and did not heal in the least until I was off the prednisone. It should have been a little sore for a day, but instead was painful way out of proportion to what it should have been.

In my experience, at least, the prednisone is a very serious blocker of healing and though I am not a surgeon obviously, I would imagine it would seriously inhibit the healing from surgery, based on my little boo-boo.

alan k

wendyn on 12/13/00 at 09:10 (034833)

You are absolutely right Alan. Prednisone is a serious drug, with potentially serious side effects. I have been pretty anti-drug historically though - so I didn't know if anyone wanted me to say it again.

Re: Thx for "heads-up" on prednisone warning

Bruce on 12/13/00 at 14:55 (034857)

Thanks for the 'heads-up' about how seriously prednisone can slow normal healing. I'm just glad I whacked my head on the edge of the bathroom door frame on SATURDAY, not TUESDAY when I started taking the prednisone!!! Not that I LIKE cracking my head on something when I already have a migraine, but sounds like Saturday was the better day to do it! I will try to be extra careful the next four weeks....

Barbara TX on 12/13/00 at 15:44 (034863)

I took a prednisone dosepack for 10 days with no relief, but I did think that it helped Scott R. But, I suppose you have to make a judgement call about when to try stuff that might have other nasty effects. I had no ill effects that I know of, and I tried it in November. I think that people on other steroids (for asthma and such) should remind their doctor of this (twice) if they are thinking of trying it. B.

Sarah on 12/20/00 at 09:32 (035245)

Bruce,

I'm so sorry you had this delay on the surgery. I just had my surgery yesterday and it was successful. My doctor said the tendon and bursal sacs were not inflamed, so the only problem was the bump. That's good news. I am actually in lots of pain right now but that's normal, they say first 24 hours is worst. Am on crutches, have an ace bandage and gauze. Stitches come out in 2 weeks. Doc says area could be tender for up to 3 months. Just trying to give you an idea of what it will be like.

Best of luck,
Sarah

Bruce on 12/25/00 at 18:07 (035388)

Thanks, Sarah.

I apprecaiate what you said. It's been tough emotionally, but I'm OK with the delay now. I'm sure it will work out for the best... three more months may give my PF time to clear up with the new orthotics, etc. To only have to deal with Haglund's would simplify things. Also, in central Illinois, the end of March is definitely a better time to have surgery than December. It's already been terrible here!

I'm really glad things are proceeding according to plan for you. Keep a good journal of your post-op and I will check back in a couple months.

Congratulations!

Bruce