Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoe fit/SAS Freetimes

Posted by Nancy N on 12/12/00 at 22:17 (034810)

Hi, everybody. I got a pair of SAS Freetimes the other day, and wore them for the first time tonight, for about 2 hours. I was in the sort of shoe store where they actually measure your feet (what a concept, anymore!) and I was really surprised when they told me that my size 10 feet, which this year have gone to an 11 in my Easy Spirits to accomodate my little toes, only needed a 9-1/2W for the Freetimes.

Now, I know that shoe sizes can run differently for different brands, and the pair I tried in the store seemed fine. They didn't have the black nubuck in stock, though, which is what I wanted, so they ordered them and shipped them to my house. I asked five or six times if they were sure the 9-1/2W was the right size, because I usually have trouble after a few hours with the tightness around those pesky little toes. The saleswoman was sure, and as a fellow PF sufferer and someone who certainly seemed to know what she was talking about, I decided that was OK. My mom also bought her Freetimes from the same store and saleswoman.

So my question is this--first of all, how much does nubuck stretch? Does it stretch at all? Could it just be that they seemed tight because I haven't worn them long enough? I figure that, if I am sitting in a chair and look at my foot, and can see the outline of my little toe poking out from the curve of the shoe, it's too small, but maybe I'm wrong?

What do you think? I'm so disappointed that these seem to be the wrong fit, but I will try them again if you all think I should. Otherwise, it's back to the store for a second try (and this is not a local store, so Christmas is my only real chance to do this and get it right).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Shoe fit/SAS Freetimes

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 02:45 (034821)

Nancy

If you can see the outline of your little toe, and if they feel too tight, they are too tight. Nubuck is just leather with a 'brushed' finish, and is unlikely to stretch any more than ordinary leather. Anyway, I think it's a mistake to hope for a shoe to stretch. If it's tight, it's tight. How disappointing. But I guess you do have to take them back and try the larger size.

Julie

Richard, C.Ped on 12/13/00 at 08:13 (034827)

Nancy,
Sorry about the trouble you are having. I have to admit that fitting shoes does not come easy to me. The shame. It seems as though it would be the easiest part of my job. I run into this every single day. I measure someone correctly, using the Brannock device, and the shoes I order are almost always to tight. In fact, it happened just yesterday. I saw somone about a week ago who measured a size 8D. She came in yesterday to try on her shoes, and they were very tight. I measured her once again (due to the fact that I can get brain numb every now and then) and it read 8D. The length was OK, but the width was way to narrow.

It was so tight, I am going to order an 8EE for her. You said it yourself, companies are different. I deal with about five vendors, and it is hard to get that exact fit.

I would advise you to not force yourself to wear the shoes. It seems as though they are to tight for you. Go back to the store and let the sales person know.

Also, try this. Since they carry SAS shoes, try on other shoes in your size of the Easy Spirits, 11 right? Try on what they measured, was it a 10? Then try on what they suggested, the 9 1/2. Try on quite a few. See if you get the same results with the 9 1/2 as you did with the shoes you ordered.

I like to do this with my customers. It helps me determine better what size they really need.

I also read in a shoe fitting manual that all Brannock devices are not the same. My Brannock is from a shoe company in New Jersey. I fit shoes ranging from Washington state to New York. I thought that was ridiculous. You would think that at least the measuring device would be accurate. Oh well. Just makes my job more of a challange.

Good luck. Let us know what happenend.
Richard, C.Ped

Nancy N on 12/13/00 at 09:41 (034837)

Julie and Richard--

Thanks for your input. I am still so disappointed at not being able to wear them, but if they make my toes hurt, there doesn't seem to be a point. I'll have them checked out in a week and a half, and hopefully we can find something that works. The 9-1/2W I tried in the store was not the nubuck, since they didn't have it in stock at the time, and I find myself wondering if that made a difference. The material for that one was a more shiny material, sort of sneakerish (or, dare I say it?--old ladyish).

Anyway, I will put them back in their box and keep going with the Easy Spirits until then.

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 09:59 (034840)

Richard, this reminds me that you asked me awhile back if I had been properly measured for fit lately, and I never answered. The answer is that it has - at a guess - been 40 years since that last happened (since I left the States). I have never been into a shoe store in England that measured! Even 'Run and Become', which specializes in general running and anti-pronation shoes, and where I went on the recommendation of my podiatrist, didn't measure me. I guess I should try a childrens' shoe shop!

I seem to do ok with Adidas trainers. The jury is still out on my new New Balance shoes - they feel so light, and seem to have so little thickness in the sole, that I'm not sure. They fit ok, though.

On your posted topic, I do find it very strange that different manufacturers' shoes vary so much in size. And there seems to be no agreement on the conversion of shoe sizes. The other day, having forgotten my 'American' size (and I'm probably not that size any more anyway) I was trying to convert my English size, and my European size, into American. I searched in about six sites, and they all gave slightly different answers - ranging from 7 1/2 to 9. Go figure.

All the best, Julie

Re: And socks change a fit...

Beverly on 12/13/00 at 17:07 (034873)

Nancy,
Did she measure you in socks? I've found that my socks can increase my size by 1/2 a size or more. For instance, I have one pair of athletic shoes that are fine with thin socks but if I try to wear them with thick winter wool boot socks, they feel too tight. I especially see the difference with Birks. No socks and I put the notch in one place but with socks, I have to change the straps or my foot slips around in them.

Anymore, I go by what feels good to my feet. I sure wouldn't wear shoes that hurt. SAS are too expensive for that.
Best luck,
Beverly

Nancy N on 12/13/00 at 18:49 (034883)

Beverly--

Yes, she did measure me with my socks on--most of my socks are the same brand/weight. We tried a whole bunch of permutations since I have my Spencos and the SAS come with their own footbed. I also tried the Birk footbeds. And in so many combinations that, really, I had trouble keeping track of how things fit. Fortunately, the saleslady and my mom seemed to have a better idea than I did. My biggest problem with the process was the feeling that the shoes were slipping off in the back as I walked, so I'm afraid if I go to a 10 that I'll be back to that problem...though who knows? 10 was my usual size until I switched to the Easy Spirits.

Augh! And I thought clothes shopping was a pain! :)

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 02:45 (034821)

Nancy

If you can see the outline of your little toe, and if they feel too tight, they are too tight. Nubuck is just leather with a 'brushed' finish, and is unlikely to stretch any more than ordinary leather. Anyway, I think it's a mistake to hope for a shoe to stretch. If it's tight, it's tight. How disappointing. But I guess you do have to take them back and try the larger size.

Julie

Richard, C.Ped on 12/13/00 at 08:13 (034827)

Nancy,
Sorry about the trouble you are having. I have to admit that fitting shoes does not come easy to me. The shame. It seems as though it would be the easiest part of my job. I run into this every single day. I measure someone correctly, using the Brannock device, and the shoes I order are almost always to tight. In fact, it happened just yesterday. I saw somone about a week ago who measured a size 8D. She came in yesterday to try on her shoes, and they were very tight. I measured her once again (due to the fact that I can get brain numb every now and then) and it read 8D. The length was OK, but the width was way to narrow.

It was so tight, I am going to order an 8EE for her. You said it yourself, companies are different. I deal with about five vendors, and it is hard to get that exact fit.

I would advise you to not force yourself to wear the shoes. It seems as though they are to tight for you. Go back to the store and let the sales person know.

Also, try this. Since they carry SAS shoes, try on other shoes in your size of the Easy Spirits, 11 right? Try on what they measured, was it a 10? Then try on what they suggested, the 9 1/2. Try on quite a few. See if you get the same results with the 9 1/2 as you did with the shoes you ordered.

I like to do this with my customers. It helps me determine better what size they really need.

I also read in a shoe fitting manual that all Brannock devices are not the same. My Brannock is from a shoe company in New Jersey. I fit shoes ranging from Washington state to New York. I thought that was ridiculous. You would think that at least the measuring device would be accurate. Oh well. Just makes my job more of a challange.

Good luck. Let us know what happenend.
Richard, C.Ped

Nancy N on 12/13/00 at 09:41 (034837)

Julie and Richard--

Thanks for your input. I am still so disappointed at not being able to wear them, but if they make my toes hurt, there doesn't seem to be a point. I'll have them checked out in a week and a half, and hopefully we can find something that works. The 9-1/2W I tried in the store was not the nubuck, since they didn't have it in stock at the time, and I find myself wondering if that made a difference. The material for that one was a more shiny material, sort of sneakerish (or, dare I say it?--old ladyish).

Anyway, I will put them back in their box and keep going with the Easy Spirits until then.

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 09:59 (034840)

Richard, this reminds me that you asked me awhile back if I had been properly measured for fit lately, and I never answered. The answer is that it has - at a guess - been 40 years since that last happened (since I left the States). I have never been into a shoe store in England that measured! Even 'Run and Become', which specializes in general running and anti-pronation shoes, and where I went on the recommendation of my podiatrist, didn't measure me. I guess I should try a childrens' shoe shop!

I seem to do ok with Adidas trainers. The jury is still out on my new New Balance shoes - they feel so light, and seem to have so little thickness in the sole, that I'm not sure. They fit ok, though.

On your posted topic, I do find it very strange that different manufacturers' shoes vary so much in size. And there seems to be no agreement on the conversion of shoe sizes. The other day, having forgotten my 'American' size (and I'm probably not that size any more anyway) I was trying to convert my English size, and my European size, into American. I searched in about six sites, and they all gave slightly different answers - ranging from 7 1/2 to 9. Go figure.

All the best, Julie

Beverly on 12/13/00 at 17:07 (034873)

Nancy,
Did she measure you in socks? I've found that my socks can increase my size by 1/2 a size or more. For instance, I have one pair of athletic shoes that are fine with thin socks but if I try to wear them with thick winter wool boot socks, they feel too tight. I especially see the difference with Birks. No socks and I put the notch in one place but with socks, I have to change the straps or my foot slips around in them.

Anymore, I go by what feels good to my feet. I sure wouldn't wear shoes that hurt. SAS are too expensive for that.
Best luck,
Beverly

Nancy N on 12/13/00 at 18:49 (034883)

Beverly--

Yes, she did measure me with my socks on--most of my socks are the same brand/weight. We tried a whole bunch of permutations since I have my Spencos and the SAS come with their own footbed. I also tried the Birk footbeds. And in so many combinations that, really, I had trouble keeping track of how things fit. Fortunately, the saleslady and my mom seemed to have a better idea than I did. My biggest problem with the process was the feeling that the shoes were slipping off in the back as I walked, so I'm afraid if I go to a 10 that I'll be back to that problem...though who knows? 10 was my usual size until I switched to the Easy Spirits.

Augh! And I thought clothes shopping was a pain! :)