Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Was fitted for new orthodics today

Posted by Beverly on 12/14/00 at 17:12 (034963)

Hi all,

Well, I finally got fitted for my new orthodics. I probably should have gotten them weeks ago, but I humored the orthodist and tried the nightsplints first. He wanted to see if my heels would loosen up. I've had to wear the splint at such a weenie setting and still can only stand it for a couple of hours at a time that they have not done me any good yet. But since so many people have extolled the benefits of the splints, I'm trying them.

My orthodics were cast with me on my stomach. I was pleased/impressed with how much time the orthodist put into it. He held my foot in neutral until it dried.
He said the left foot was easy to get into neutral but my right foot was much harder. These will be soft cork orthodics with a plastic covering. I want to work up to semi-rigid, but this is a place to start.

This is so different from the way my old pod cast my first pair. I sat in a chair and he slopped goop on my feet and pulled it off when it dried. No wonder they did me no good.

As Richard expected, my PW Minor shoes were too small. We've returned them for half a size up in length and a size up in width. Lady Sport style.
I was pleased that they look like athletic shoes and not little old lady shoes.

I hope to have the orthodics by Christmas. The techs usually play a heavy role in fabrication, but at my request and after a little begging, the orthodist says he will make them himself.

Beverly

Re: Was fitted for new orthodics today

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/14/00 at 20:14 (034972)

That is the way we casted in school on the stomach. The most important part is the ability and to take your time in placing the foot into a neutral position. It sounds to me like your are on the right biomechanical track . The materials are really good. This sounds exciting. I wouldn't mind taking a vacation and going to the lab myself. It brings me back to my school days when we made our own orthosis. The school that I went to made us fabricate the orthosis. ourselves. I never understood why every one wantd to hang out in the orthosis lab I though it was the glue. Today I know why most of my podiatric friends that hung in the lab now have the major labs. It is a art as well as a science to make an orthosis that removes pain from the human foot. Good luck.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/15/00 at 08:06 (035006)

Beverly,
That is great. I really hope this gives you some relief. I agree with Dr. Z, the art and science of fabrication is fascinating. I have been doing this for a while, and to tell you the truth, I am still amazed, excited, and happy for the patient when I hear testimonies ranging from how good the orthosis felt when I first put them in their shoes to the skeptics that did not believe it could help them, but gave it a chance anyway, and now feel wonderful. Maybe is really IS the glue... (just kidding).

When you get them, remember, don't over-do-it. Do not push yourself to get used to the support. Your feet will let you know when they are ready for a rest.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
Richard

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/14/00 at 20:14 (034972)

That is the way we casted in school on the stomach. The most important part is the ability and to take your time in placing the foot into a neutral position. It sounds to me like your are on the right biomechanical track . The materials are really good. This sounds exciting. I wouldn't mind taking a vacation and going to the lab myself. It brings me back to my school days when we made our own orthosis. The school that I went to made us fabricate the orthosis. ourselves. I never understood why every one wantd to hang out in the orthosis lab I though it was the glue. Today I know why most of my podiatric friends that hung in the lab now have the major labs. It is a art as well as a science to make an orthosis that removes pain from the human foot. Good luck.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/15/00 at 08:06 (035006)

Beverly,
That is great. I really hope this gives you some relief. I agree with Dr. Z, the art and science of fabrication is fascinating. I have been doing this for a while, and to tell you the truth, I am still amazed, excited, and happy for the patient when I hear testimonies ranging from how good the orthosis felt when I first put them in their shoes to the skeptics that did not believe it could help them, but gave it a chance anyway, and now feel wonderful. Maybe is really IS the glue... (just kidding).

When you get them, remember, don't over-do-it. Do not push yourself to get used to the support. Your feet will let you know when they are ready for a rest.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
Richard