Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF surgery or supr removel

Posted by carrie e on 12/15/00 at 20:56 (035050)

I would like to know from anyone that can help me wich would be the better way to go to have the PF surgery wich i have heard alot of negative things about or to try find someone that will remove the spur??? any info would be great. thanks
Carrie

Re: PF surgery or supr removel

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/15/00 at 22:36 (035057)

Hi,

IF you have decided to go with surgery then the mininial incison fluroscopic surgical procedure is a very good way to go. There are alot of podiatrists that perform this procedure. The reason that I am not in favor of the the EPF or pf release is that usually the EPF isn't done at the attachment but in front of the medial tubercle of the heel bone. So there is a most greater change of nerve damage. In addition the purpose of the pf release is to cut the fascia so that you can't have a traction pulling at the attachment where the tear is located. I hope this is some what of a help .

carrie evens on 12/23/00 at 16:18 (035340)

Is haveing the bone spur benificial comp to haveing the PF surgery done?? I want the best chance for pain releif than i can get after haveing the pain for so many years. your advice would be great.
thanks
CArrie
p.s also some pros and cons to the removal too please if you have any :o)

Shawn on 2/05/01 at 01:41 (038210)

The surgery information I have been getting from these boards are fairly new to me. I go for my consultation for surgery this week. However, I do know that the doctor is suppose to be making a small incision in the middle or arch area of my feet and cutting the nerve. Is this the 'mininial incision fluroscopic surgical procedure' you mention above?

There was no mention of a heel spur. I don't believe that is apart of my operation. Anyway, I see that Dr. Zuckerman says you should cut the fascia somewhere specific to avoid nerve damage. Is the procedure planned for me the best way to avoid the nerve damage you speak of?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/15/00 at 22:36 (035057)

Hi,

IF you have decided to go with surgery then the mininial incison fluroscopic surgical procedure is a very good way to go. There are alot of podiatrists that perform this procedure. The reason that I am not in favor of the the EPF or pf release is that usually the EPF isn't done at the attachment but in front of the medial tubercle of the heel bone. So there is a most greater change of nerve damage. In addition the purpose of the pf release is to cut the fascia so that you can't have a traction pulling at the attachment where the tear is located. I hope this is some what of a help .

carrie evens on 12/23/00 at 16:18 (035340)

Is haveing the bone spur benificial comp to haveing the PF surgery done?? I want the best chance for pain releif than i can get after haveing the pain for so many years. your advice would be great.
thanks
CArrie
p.s also some pros and cons to the removal too please if you have any :o)

Shawn on 2/05/01 at 01:41 (038210)

The surgery information I have been getting from these boards are fairly new to me. I go for my consultation for surgery this week. However, I do know that the doctor is suppose to be making a small incision in the middle or arch area of my feet and cutting the nerve. Is this the 'mininial incision fluroscopic surgical procedure' you mention above?

There was no mention of a heel spur. I don't believe that is apart of my operation. Anyway, I see that Dr. Zuckerman says you should cut the fascia somewhere specific to avoid nerve damage. Is the procedure planned for me the best way to avoid the nerve damage you speak of?