Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf and ptt length of treatment with cast

Posted by matt on 12/16/00 at 15:15 (035090)

My pod, who I trust a lot, finally put my foot in a cast because after I reinjured my foot, it would not respond to anything else and stay better. He is starting with 4 weeks and I was wondering if you drs have used this or seen this work and how long did it take in cast to really work? /Thanks for all the questions you answer on this board, it helps alot and educates me on options.

Re: question on treatment for pf and tendonitis

matt on 12/18/00 at 19:50 (035165)

My first post was a short and not really clear on my question. On friday i started another two weeks on crutches with a cast for pf and tendonitis, when the dr examined the area was still sore at the side of the heel and back of the arch on the bottom, but it is way better than it was. Since it was still hurting the first two weeks he recommended two more weeks. It is a real pain in the shoulder, but foot not hurting much anymore. I was wondereing if anyone had tried this treatment and if it worked, it would be nice if anyone had success. Also how do you transition out of cast to shoes? I have orthodics, and he mentioned using the boot for a week. I would appreciate any commnts or suggestions.

Laurie R on 12/18/00 at 21:22 (035167)

Hi Matt,
I am also in a hard cast with crutches ,due to severe pain and fluid in three different places in my foot and ankle and PF. I think a hard cast has been the 'only' thing that has helped me in 18 months. I think I have had 5 or 6 so far. Everytime after I get out of a hard cast my Pod always has me back in a walking cast and crutches for at least a week or two. I really can't answer the shoe question because I haven't had a shoe on my PF foot in a long time. Try to rest as much as you can in the cast ,the key is after you get it off be very careful. Your foot and ankle will be very stiff too. Take it easy..... My very best to you Matt. If I can help in any way please feel free to ask.Laurie R

matt on 12/19/00 at 17:58 (035209)

Thanks for the info Laurie. One more question, was the walking cast a boot or a hard cast and did you start putting partial weight on the foot with the crutches or just start walking. I am wondering how much longer i would need the crutches, my hands are getting tired! Thanks.

Laurie R on 12/19/00 at 19:01 (035211)

Hi Matt,
The walking cast is a boot. And yes try to put only a little bit of weight on your foot when you try to walk . Maybe you can put an ace bandage on after the cast comes off. Are you going to go to PT?? PT helps when you just get out of the cast. Also your ankle may be very stiff when you first get out of the hard cast.Matt the most important thing is to take it slow ,even if your foot is feeling well. My very best to you Matt.Laurie R

Pam B on 1/06/01 at 10:36 (036019)

I have been in a cast twice. The first time was for six weeks and the second time was for eight weeks. I found the casting helped alot while the cast was on, but for me, the pain returned within a few weeks of the cast being removed. The first time I was placed in a post op shoe for two weeks, and the second time I was place in a equalizer boot for about a week until I got the strength back in my ankle. Be prepared, it will feel real funny to walk when the cast is removed- kinda like you are stepping in a hole. I wish you luck.

matt on 1/06/01 at 11:19 (036021)

Thanks for the information, I have just completed a week in the boot after six weeks in cast. You are right, it did feel strange to put weight on foot. I am now wearing orthotics for a few hours, but I am supposed to wear boot if doing any amount of walking, pf pain is much better and tendonitis pain I think is gone did your pain come back all the way or did you think this helped at all? The last couple of weeks my foot felt great except for being in cast. I hope this helps my foot, i am going to try to be careful, but it is hard not to slow down now. Thanks.

matt on 12/18/00 at 19:50 (035165)

My first post was a short and not really clear on my question. On friday i started another two weeks on crutches with a cast for pf and tendonitis, when the dr examined the area was still sore at the side of the heel and back of the arch on the bottom, but it is way better than it was. Since it was still hurting the first two weeks he recommended two more weeks. It is a real pain in the shoulder, but foot not hurting much anymore. I was wondereing if anyone had tried this treatment and if it worked, it would be nice if anyone had success. Also how do you transition out of cast to shoes? I have orthodics, and he mentioned using the boot for a week. I would appreciate any commnts or suggestions.

Laurie R on 12/18/00 at 21:22 (035167)

Hi Matt,
I am also in a hard cast with crutches ,due to severe pain and fluid in three different places in my foot and ankle and PF. I think a hard cast has been the 'only' thing that has helped me in 18 months. I think I have had 5 or 6 so far. Everytime after I get out of a hard cast my Pod always has me back in a walking cast and crutches for at least a week or two. I really can't answer the shoe question because I haven't had a shoe on my PF foot in a long time. Try to rest as much as you can in the cast ,the key is after you get it off be very careful. Your foot and ankle will be very stiff too. Take it easy..... My very best to you Matt. If I can help in any way please feel free to ask.Laurie R

matt on 12/19/00 at 17:58 (035209)

Thanks for the info Laurie. One more question, was the walking cast a boot or a hard cast and did you start putting partial weight on the foot with the crutches or just start walking. I am wondering how much longer i would need the crutches, my hands are getting tired! Thanks.

Laurie R on 12/19/00 at 19:01 (035211)

Hi Matt,
The walking cast is a boot. And yes try to put only a little bit of weight on your foot when you try to walk . Maybe you can put an ace bandage on after the cast comes off. Are you going to go to PT?? PT helps when you just get out of the cast. Also your ankle may be very stiff when you first get out of the hard cast.Matt the most important thing is to take it slow ,even if your foot is feeling well. My very best to you Matt.Laurie R

Pam B on 1/06/01 at 10:36 (036019)

I have been in a cast twice. The first time was for six weeks and the second time was for eight weeks. I found the casting helped alot while the cast was on, but for me, the pain returned within a few weeks of the cast being removed. The first time I was placed in a post op shoe for two weeks, and the second time I was place in a equalizer boot for about a week until I got the strength back in my ankle. Be prepared, it will feel real funny to walk when the cast is removed- kinda like you are stepping in a hole. I wish you luck.

matt on 1/06/01 at 11:19 (036021)

Thanks for the information, I have just completed a week in the boot after six weeks in cast. You are right, it did feel strange to put weight on foot. I am now wearing orthotics for a few hours, but I am supposed to wear boot if doing any amount of walking, pf pain is much better and tendonitis pain I think is gone did your pain come back all the way or did you think this helped at all? The last couple of weeks my foot felt great except for being in cast. I hope this helps my foot, i am going to try to be careful, but it is hard not to slow down now. Thanks.