Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surface of Skin Pain

Posted by Bobby F. on 12/19/00 at 12:13 (035195)

I am, or should I say have been, a tennis player most of my life. About a year ago, I walked off the court and one of my feet felt 'sensitive' to the touch along the top outside surface of my foot about half way from heel to little toe. That night, I was awakened by a stinging, electric, stabbing pain that would last for a second or two and then subside, only to come again in 10 to 20 seconds resulting in zero sleep and a great deal of profanity. The next day, the foot hurt to walk on and continued with the stabbing pains throughout the day, then it vanished for about a week and came back with identical symptoms. Since then, this syndrome repeats, sometimes once a month, sometimes more often and has migrated to exactly the same place from time to time on the other foot, or even both at the same time.

I've tried most of the over the counter stuff (Dr. Scholls type)...mostly useless. I have seen several podiatrists over the year, no luck so far. Any ideas other than amputation (at either end)?

Thanks. BF.

Re: Surface of Skin Pain

Dr. Biehler on 12/19/00 at 17:51 (035207)

Sounds like you are having problems with your sural nerve getting compressed in someway. An elastic ankle/foot support worn when you play tennis might help to keep this from happening. Dr. B.

Re: Surface of Skin Pain

Dr. Biehler on 12/19/00 at 17:51 (035207)

Sounds like you are having problems with your sural nerve getting compressed in someway. An elastic ankle/foot support worn when you play tennis might help to keep this from happening. Dr. B.