Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shattered ankle

Posted by Lin B. on 12/20/00 at 10:29 (035247)

My sister was in a severe car accident last night. Due to the accident, she had over 12 hours of surgery. As a result, she has a shattered ankle (which the surgeons put in plates and screws), torn ligaments, a rod in her femer bone, her left arm was broken in two places and she has a punctured knee. As well as several other smaller injuries. My question is how long does the recovery of the ankle injury usually take, and what kind of side effects can she expect. I want to help her out and am not sure what she will need but would like to be a support to her. Please, if you have any information, I would be greatful.

Re: Shattered ankle

Dr. Biehler on 12/20/00 at 11:08 (035248)

It takes a minimum of 6 weeks for a bone to heal. With all her damage it could take longer. The bones will keep remodeling for years after they heal. Arthritis likes to come and stay after a bad fracture. Plenty of physical therapy down the road should help. The pain and swelling is what has to be gotten through first. Thank God she didn't break her back. Dr. B.

Re: Shattered calcaneous...What else...??

Marķa (argentina) on 12/25/00 at 12:42 (035384)

hello,
My husband was on top of a ladder when the ladder slipped and he felt, he shatter his calcaneos (six parts as seen in the X-rays) was operated in a Municipal hospital, the doctors put a Kirschner in the foot and plastered his leg up to the knee. The nail will be removed on January 2nd as well as the plaster which will be replaced by a Vendunna (kind of eslastic bandage). He can not on his left feet until February.
They also said that in case the bone collapsed it should be operated again.
Does anybody has/had a similar problem??
What else can be done?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Maria

Re: Shattered ankle

Dr. Biehler on 12/20/00 at 11:08 (035248)

It takes a minimum of 6 weeks for a bone to heal. With all her damage it could take longer. The bones will keep remodeling for years after they heal. Arthritis likes to come and stay after a bad fracture. Plenty of physical therapy down the road should help. The pain and swelling is what has to be gotten through first. Thank God she didn't break her back. Dr. B.

Re: Shattered calcaneous...What else...??

Marķa (argentina) on 12/25/00 at 12:42 (035384)

hello,
My husband was on top of a ladder when the ladder slipped and he felt, he shatter his calcaneos (six parts as seen in the X-rays) was operated in a Municipal hospital, the doctors put a Kirschner in the foot and plastered his leg up to the knee. The nail will be removed on January 2nd as well as the plaster which will be replaced by a Vendunna (kind of eslastic bandage). He can not on his left feet until February.
They also said that in case the bone collapsed it should be operated again.
Does anybody has/had a similar problem??
What else can be done?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Maria