Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Separation of webbed toes

Posted by Eric S. on 12/21/00 at 22:58 (035278)

This is not a heel spur question but would like your opinion. My 15 year old son has webbed toes on both feet (the 2 toes next to the big toe) and when he was an infant we were told by a podiatrist that they could not be separated because they were fed by the same nerve. At my last visit to my podiatrist I ran this question by him and he said it could be done. What is your opinion of this?

Re: Separation of webbed toes

Bob G. on 12/22/00 at 02:02 (035286)

Eric, can your son swim? I'll bet he could make the olympics, or at least compete competitively.

I don't know about the nerve issue, but if I had webbed feet, I'd be out body surfin'.

Best of luck to your son, in whatever endeavor he chooses. BG

Dr. Biehler on 12/22/00 at 09:34 (035296)

Most operations to separate web toes is done for cosmetic reasons unless there is an involvement with the underlying boney structure. It is not common for there to be a nerve missing for one of the toes, so I can not comment further on that part of the question. It usually comes down to personal desission. Dr. B.

Bob G. on 12/22/00 at 02:02 (035286)

Eric, can your son swim? I'll bet he could make the olympics, or at least compete competitively.

I don't know about the nerve issue, but if I had webbed feet, I'd be out body surfin'.

Best of luck to your son, in whatever endeavor he chooses. BG

Dr. Biehler on 12/22/00 at 09:34 (035296)

Most operations to separate web toes is done for cosmetic reasons unless there is an involvement with the underlying boney structure. It is not common for there to be a nerve missing for one of the toes, so I can not comment further on that part of the question. It usually comes down to personal desission. Dr. B.