Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ortho surgeon vs. podiatrist

Posted by LB in Canada on 12/23/00 at 01:38 (035330)

I'm curious... what is the likelihood that I will get better results from a pump bump excision done by an ortho, than one done by a podiatrist? I'm not really a fan of this surgery thing (the pain is significant, but it's NOT life threatening)

Re: ortho surgeon vs. podiatrist

Dr. Biehler on 12/23/00 at 07:14 (035332)

There are different approches to this surgery. I would not be supprised if the orthopedic surgen does an open procedure. Most podiatrists probably do the surgery the same way. There is a minimal incission surgery approch to this that ambulatory foot surgens do. It in volves making a very small incission through which either a special burr or rasp is inserted and the pump bump is removed.Since the foot/ankle is not dissected open, there is less trama to the area and faster healing. The 'Academey of Ambulatory Foot Surgens' should be able to let you know of an ambulatory surgen by you. Dr. B.

john h on 12/24/00 at 19:33 (035368)

i think it all depends on the individual doctor. get one that has done the procedure many times. if you have hallux limitus which may or may not be what you have there are several approaches to the procedure. the approach used on me involved removing a wedge of bone which allowed the joint to have a good upward flexion. if they had just removed the spurs which resulted in the bump i might well be back at the surgeons office again. did the doctor give you a specific diagnosis?

LB in Canada on 1/02/01 at 13:35 (035804)

Thanks for your input. One thing I am worried about is having this surgery required again in the future. I wasn't given a specific diagnosis, but I'm curious to know about this hallux limitus that you're speaking of... does it have something to do with reduced mov't? If so, I don't think that's the problem I'm dealing with. thanks, lb

john h on 1/16/01 at 12:31 (036681)

hallux limitus is basically calcium deposites in the 2nd joint of the great toe. there will usually be a bump on the top of the great toe somewhat like a bunion. movement of the toe is painful because the bone is rubbing against calciium spurs and does eventually limit flexion of the toe.

Dr. Biehler on 12/23/00 at 07:14 (035332)

There are different approches to this surgery. I would not be supprised if the orthopedic surgen does an open procedure. Most podiatrists probably do the surgery the same way. There is a minimal incission surgery approch to this that ambulatory foot surgens do. It in volves making a very small incission through which either a special burr or rasp is inserted and the pump bump is removed.Since the foot/ankle is not dissected open, there is less trama to the area and faster healing. The 'Academey of Ambulatory Foot Surgens' should be able to let you know of an ambulatory surgen by you. Dr. B.

john h on 12/24/00 at 19:33 (035368)

i think it all depends on the individual doctor. get one that has done the procedure many times. if you have hallux limitus which may or may not be what you have there are several approaches to the procedure. the approach used on me involved removing a wedge of bone which allowed the joint to have a good upward flexion. if they had just removed the spurs which resulted in the bump i might well be back at the surgeons office again. did the doctor give you a specific diagnosis?

LB in Canada on 1/02/01 at 13:35 (035804)

Thanks for your input. One thing I am worried about is having this surgery required again in the future. I wasn't given a specific diagnosis, but I'm curious to know about this hallux limitus that you're speaking of... does it have something to do with reduced mov't? If so, I don't think that's the problem I'm dealing with. thanks, lb

john h on 1/16/01 at 12:31 (036681)

hallux limitus is basically calcium deposites in the 2nd joint of the great toe. there will usually be a bump on the top of the great toe somewhat like a bunion. movement of the toe is painful because the bone is rubbing against calciium spurs and does eventually limit flexion of the toe.