Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there a connection between arthritis and heel pain ?

Posted by Ellen on 12/23/00 at 20:25 (035348)

Hi, I am new to this board. I have heel pain for 6 months already. Went to a Pod, Orthopedic and PT the first time I got it, and within one month the pain was gone, but after that it came back. Now it has been 6 months, and I didn't go back to either one of them. It comes and goes, it comes especially when the weather is cold. I wonder if this associated with arthritis ?
Also 2 people from Asia told me, that over there they will walk barefooted on a hot cement floor or walk barefooted on gravel and it will cure the heelpain. One of them did it himself. I will never try that kind of torture to my feet, have anyone heard about these treatment ?
Helen

Re: Is there a connection between arthritis and heel pain ?

Bob G. on 12/23/00 at 22:07 (035353)

Hello, Ellen! Welcome to the Board.

My initial response is, 'Walking barefoot to cure PF is like eating lots of carbohydrates to lose weight.' In other words, one should not be walking barefoot.

Please research this web site for information and support. I suggest you download Scott's PF book, read it forwards and backwards, search this Board for information you feel relates to your situation; you've come to the right place. I hope you recover soon, Ellen (or Helen?). Good luck! BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/25/00 at 19:56 (035392)

The treatment that you are talking about sounds similiar to contrast baths
This is a treatment which uses alternating hot and cold water as a way to induce blood flow to the injuried area . It isn't done bare footed but the alternating hot and cold could help to calm down your heel pain. The cause of heel pain is usually an over use sydrome . You need to address the causes. Go to Scott book . Take a look at Mike Wilmott's information concerning the causes, being lack of flexiblity and strenght of the lower extremity muscles and tendons. Improper biomechanics of the foot play a role. So look for the cause. The first thing i would do is get a pair of shoes that are stiff in the shank of the shoe and well padded in the heel area. There are many people on this board that suffer just like you and can get you both support and help

Ellen on 12/28/00 at 19:05 (035528)

Thank you Bob, Thank you Dr.Zuckerman for responding to my question.
I will read Scott book that you mentioned.

Bob G. on 12/23/00 at 22:07 (035353)

Hello, Ellen! Welcome to the Board.

My initial response is, 'Walking barefoot to cure PF is like eating lots of carbohydrates to lose weight.' In other words, one should not be walking barefoot.

Please research this web site for information and support. I suggest you download Scott's PF book, read it forwards and backwards, search this Board for information you feel relates to your situation; you've come to the right place. I hope you recover soon, Ellen (or Helen?). Good luck! BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/25/00 at 19:56 (035392)

The treatment that you are talking about sounds similiar to contrast baths
This is a treatment which uses alternating hot and cold water as a way to induce blood flow to the injuried area . It isn't done bare footed but the alternating hot and cold could help to calm down your heel pain. The cause of heel pain is usually an over use sydrome . You need to address the causes. Go to Scott book . Take a look at Mike Wilmott's information concerning the causes, being lack of flexiblity and strenght of the lower extremity muscles and tendons. Improper biomechanics of the foot play a role. So look for the cause. The first thing i would do is get a pair of shoes that are stiff in the shank of the shoe and well padded in the heel area. There are many people on this board that suffer just like you and can get you both support and help

Ellen on 12/28/00 at 19:05 (035528)

Thank you Bob, Thank you Dr.Zuckerman for responding to my question.
I will read Scott book that you mentioned.