Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

willow bark

Posted by john h on 12/26/00 at 14:48 (035404)

reading an interesting article in Prevention Magazine for the use of Willow Bark in the treatment of pain as in gout,low back pain,etc. It has anti inflamatory properties. A long term study was completed in Germany showing willow bark suppliments superior to modern day remedies for lower back pain. the product is not expensive and seems to have no side effects (from what i have read). can be purchased at http://www.vitaminshoppe.com i shall give it a try.

Re: willow bark

Pauline on 12/26/00 at 15:35 (035409)

John, have you tried it?

wendyn on 12/26/00 at 16:22 (035412)

Willow bark has been used forever for pain and fever - contains esentially ASA (Asprin)

Kathy on 12/26/00 at 21:57 (035429)

Along with my PF I'm now having trouble with my back, had mri and will get those results after Jan3rd, not sure if it's siatica or disc problem but they have me on muscle relaxers and vicadin and I feel like I'm dopped all day long, wonder if the willow bark would help me?
Kathy

john h on 12/28/00 at 17:05 (035516)

from what i have read about willow bark it is a good alternative to long term thearpy with your usually prescribed anti inflamatories. it has few side effects and should not bother your stomach. the study i read that was recently completed in germany indicated willow bark to be an effective alternative for low back pain for the commonly prescribed meds such as daypro,etc. weny is correct in that it has a substance contained in aspirin but not the stomach problems. i am going to try it and have ordered some from vitaminshoppe.com for 3.98 of 100 capsules vs $99 for 60 capsules of daypro.. hey wendy arkansar looks like an atom bomb hit it with a horrific 3 day ice storm. my back yard is littered with 100 yr old pine trees uprooted from the heavy ice. 300,000 people with no power (including me until today) and many without water as the water works also lost power. we have 8000 out of state power worker on hand and some people without power for 2 weeks now. it is going to take years in my opinion to recover from theis castrophe. trees and power lines down all over the state. 3' ice on the streets and trees/power lines. snow forecast for sunday with high winds tonight. this really sucks.

Laurie Lambert on 12/28/00 at 23:41 (035551)

My Father found Willow bark awhile back and it works great. But he was taking WAY TOO MUCH and after awhile started emitting a musty body odor smell. It went away after he stopped willow bark a short time. Now he uses it in moderation. So if you try it don't go overboard and take more then they tell you to.

john h on 12/31/00 at 18:54 (035734)

the study conducted in Germany used 240mg of willow bark 'extract' a day. the version used in Germany is not available in the U.S. but Nature's Way has a similar product containing 250mg of white willow bark. the doctor suggest 2-4 capsules daily for pain. The Nature's way bottle suggest 2 capsules 3 times a day.

Pauline on 12/26/00 at 15:35 (035409)

John, have you tried it?

wendyn on 12/26/00 at 16:22 (035412)

Willow bark has been used forever for pain and fever - contains esentially ASA (Asprin)

Kathy on 12/26/00 at 21:57 (035429)

Along with my PF I'm now having trouble with my back, had mri and will get those results after Jan3rd, not sure if it's siatica or disc problem but they have me on muscle relaxers and vicadin and I feel like I'm dopped all day long, wonder if the willow bark would help me?
Kathy

john h on 12/28/00 at 17:05 (035516)

from what i have read about willow bark it is a good alternative to long term thearpy with your usually prescribed anti inflamatories. it has few side effects and should not bother your stomach. the study i read that was recently completed in germany indicated willow bark to be an effective alternative for low back pain for the commonly prescribed meds such as daypro,etc. weny is correct in that it has a substance contained in aspirin but not the stomach problems. i am going to try it and have ordered some from vitaminshoppe.com for 3.98 of 100 capsules vs $99 for 60 capsules of daypro.. hey wendy arkansar looks like an atom bomb hit it with a horrific 3 day ice storm. my back yard is littered with 100 yr old pine trees uprooted from the heavy ice. 300,000 people with no power (including me until today) and many without water as the water works also lost power. we have 8000 out of state power worker on hand and some people without power for 2 weeks now. it is going to take years in my opinion to recover from theis castrophe. trees and power lines down all over the state. 3' ice on the streets and trees/power lines. snow forecast for sunday with high winds tonight. this really sucks.

Laurie Lambert on 12/28/00 at 23:41 (035551)

My Father found Willow bark awhile back and it works great. But he was taking WAY TOO MUCH and after awhile started emitting a musty body odor smell. It went away after he stopped willow bark a short time. Now he uses it in moderation. So if you try it don't go overboard and take more then they tell you to.

john h on 12/31/00 at 18:54 (035734)

the study conducted in Germany used 240mg of willow bark 'extract' a day. the version used in Germany is not available in the U.S. but Nature's Way has a similar product containing 250mg of white willow bark. the doctor suggest 2-4 capsules daily for pain. The Nature's way bottle suggest 2 capsules 3 times a day.