Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fixing orthodics

Posted by Kathy on 12/26/00 at 22:08 (035431)

Richard, You have heard me speak highly of the pedorthist that made my orthodics but I'm wondering if it's normal to have them wear down after a couple of months? she told me she has only had one other person that it's happened with and that instead of coming in once a year that I will have to come in about every other month, What do you think? they are soft orthodics and have made all the difference in the world for me.
Kathy

Re: fixing orthodics

Richard, C.Ped on 12/27/00 at 07:00 (035441)

Hi Kathy. I am glad that you found a trustworthy C.Ped in your area. My experience with soft orthotics are that they do tend to have a quicker breakdown period than the semi rigid to rigid. It all depends on the person wearing them. My older diabetic patients who are not very active, the inserts may last about a year. I have made softer orthotics for myself which only lasted two months. I wore them while working and playing sports. I was putting quite a bit of pressure on them.

When I say 'soft' material, I am referring to 40 durometer EVA material for the posting.

With my patients, I will first determine if they need to start with the softer inserts versus the rigid. I will inform the patient that the softer will break down quicker and to let me know when it does. For a very small fee, I will go back and add a more rigid posting to the insert.

If your feet are used to the inserts, you may want to ask the pedorthist or physician if they would recommend the more rigid material now. Let them know that the softer material is breaking down. The rigid material (I use 60 durometer EVA. Rigid, but very comfortable) will last much longer. I use the 60 for almost all my athletes that I see.

Good luck, and let me know what you guys decide.
Richard

Re: fixing orthodics

Richard, C.Ped on 12/27/00 at 07:00 (035441)

Hi Kathy. I am glad that you found a trustworthy C.Ped in your area. My experience with soft orthotics are that they do tend to have a quicker breakdown period than the semi rigid to rigid. It all depends on the person wearing them. My older diabetic patients who are not very active, the inserts may last about a year. I have made softer orthotics for myself which only lasted two months. I wore them while working and playing sports. I was putting quite a bit of pressure on them.

When I say 'soft' material, I am referring to 40 durometer EVA material for the posting.

With my patients, I will first determine if they need to start with the softer inserts versus the rigid. I will inform the patient that the softer will break down quicker and to let me know when it does. For a very small fee, I will go back and add a more rigid posting to the insert.

If your feet are used to the inserts, you may want to ask the pedorthist or physician if they would recommend the more rigid material now. Let them know that the softer material is breaking down. The rigid material (I use 60 durometer EVA. Rigid, but very comfortable) will last much longer. I use the 60 for almost all my athletes that I see.

Good luck, and let me know what you guys decide.
Richard