Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The pain goes on............

Posted by Jan W on 12/27/00 at 19:42 (035465)

Hello everyone, it is Jan the postal worker with severe plantar fascitis in both feet. I have been going to physical therapy twice a week, it just seems kind of silly to have the therapy after sTanding for 8 hrs, by the time I get there I am in serious pain, she uses some kind of machine with A ROLLER ON IT AND SOME CORTISONE CREAM, BUT IT DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO HELP THE PROBLEM, BECAUSE THE NEXT DAY i AM BACK ON MY FEET AGAIN FOR 8 HOURS REINJURING MY FEET.i HAD 3 DAYS OFF LAST WEEK AND BEING OFF MY FEET FOR 3 DAYS WAS THE BEST THEY HAVE FELT IN MONTHS, BUT AS SOON AS i GET BACK TO WORK THE PAIN STARTS AGAIN, i HAD ALOT OF BLOOD WORK DONE AND EVERYTHING WAS NEGATIVE.mY KNEES HAVE BEEN REALLY HURTING ALOT, SOMETIMES i GET SHOOTING PAINS IN THEM, DO YOU THINK THIS FROM LIMPING OR WEARING THE BOOT?i AM ALMOST TO THE POINT OF HAVING THE dR, WRITE ME A NOTE TO TAKE A LEAVE OF ABSENCE SINCE i DON'T HAVE ANY SICK LEAVE LEFT. iT WOULD REALLY BE A FINANCIal disaster for us, but I don't want to end up with surgery because I didn't get the chance tyo rest my feet and let them heal naturally..I never realized how much of a problem this pf can turn out to be,..I really feel i would have been better off with a broken foot..any advice anyone? do you think I should try and take a leave of absence and see if my feet heal before I have the surgery?? Jan

Re: The pain goes on............

Laurie R on 12/27/00 at 22:16 (035480)

Hi Jan,
First off, did you hurt your foot at work??? I think I asked you this before ,either you didn't answer or I missed your answer. Let me tell you something ,my story then you can make up your own mind. I have been a bartender for 16 years. I twisted my foot one night at work. That's when all the pain started. I waited 2 days then I went to see a doctor. He said I had PF .I never even heard of it before .All I knew was I was in major pain. A week later I saw a differnt doctor and she also said I had PF and that it would go away in a few weeks . Then I was off to see doctor #3 .He also said it was PF. Well here is the thing I ended up working on my feet for 3 months in terible pain. I used to work 8 to 10 hours a night no brakes .I couldn't take the pain anymore and I went to see doctor #4 which is my Pod now. The first thing he did was put me off work. I have been off now for over a year. See if Doctor #1 or #2 would of put me off work I don' think I would be as bad as I am today. I do recall doctor #3 did have me off for 2 weeks. By then the damage was already done. PLEASE take the time off o you don't end up like me . I have had x-rays a EMG test an MRI and I am now going to go have a 'Tenogram to see if their is any damage in my tendon. I also have PF and fluid in three different places in my foot and ankle. I am always in pain. I am in a hard cast right now. I have have 3 walking cast one was a air cast and I have ha 3 cortisone shots and about 5 shorts just to numb my foot . Also I have been going to PT for over a year now. I am lucky in a way ,I did hurt my foot at work so workmans comp pays for all my medical treatment. Now the checks I get to live off of are not much but better then nothing. PLEASE if I can help you in anyway just let me know. My best to you Jan .......Laurie R

Chris on 12/27/00 at 23:13 (035483)

Hello Jan,
I too work at the Post Office and I know exactly what you are talking about! Before I was lucky enough to transfer to a small office, we were working 13 days on, one off! 56 hours a week! I did that for three years, until this spring when my heal started to bother me. I worked for 4 months in pain before I transfered and I thought that everything would be all right when I wasn't on my feet as much. It has helped quite a bit, but I was still in pain, so I went to a Podiatrist and he diagnosed me as having PF. I've had a cotisone shot and that helped for a short time. I am now in a walking boot and that has helped the most. I have been in my boot for four weeks now, and will have it on for another two weeks. So far the pain is 50-75% better and I'm hoping that this will do it. If it doesn't I will have another corisone shot. If at all possible, rest!! Are you at the window? If so, would it be possible to have a stool there, so you can get off of your foot some of the time? I wish you well Jan!! I hope that the pain will start to go away for you too. CW

Laurie R on 12/27/00 at 22:16 (035480)

Hi Jan,
First off, did you hurt your foot at work??? I think I asked you this before ,either you didn't answer or I missed your answer. Let me tell you something ,my story then you can make up your own mind. I have been a bartender for 16 years. I twisted my foot one night at work. That's when all the pain started. I waited 2 days then I went to see a doctor. He said I had PF .I never even heard of it before .All I knew was I was in major pain. A week later I saw a differnt doctor and she also said I had PF and that it would go away in a few weeks . Then I was off to see doctor #3 .He also said it was PF. Well here is the thing I ended up working on my feet for 3 months in terible pain. I used to work 8 to 10 hours a night no brakes .I couldn't take the pain anymore and I went to see doctor #4 which is my Pod now. The first thing he did was put me off work. I have been off now for over a year. See if Doctor #1 or #2 would of put me off work I don' think I would be as bad as I am today. I do recall doctor #3 did have me off for 2 weeks. By then the damage was already done. PLEASE take the time off o you don't end up like me . I have had x-rays a EMG test an MRI and I am now going to go have a 'Tenogram to see if their is any damage in my tendon. I also have PF and fluid in three different places in my foot and ankle. I am always in pain. I am in a hard cast right now. I have have 3 walking cast one was a air cast and I have ha 3 cortisone shots and about 5 shorts just to numb my foot . Also I have been going to PT for over a year now. I am lucky in a way ,I did hurt my foot at work so workmans comp pays for all my medical treatment. Now the checks I get to live off of are not much but better then nothing. PLEASE if I can help you in anyway just let me know. My best to you Jan .......Laurie R

Chris on 12/27/00 at 23:13 (035483)

Hello Jan,
I too work at the Post Office and I know exactly what you are talking about! Before I was lucky enough to transfer to a small office, we were working 13 days on, one off! 56 hours a week! I did that for three years, until this spring when my heal started to bother me. I worked for 4 months in pain before I transfered and I thought that everything would be all right when I wasn't on my feet as much. It has helped quite a bit, but I was still in pain, so I went to a Podiatrist and he diagnosed me as having PF. I've had a cotisone shot and that helped for a short time. I am now in a walking boot and that has helped the most. I have been in my boot for four weeks now, and will have it on for another two weeks. So far the pain is 50-75% better and I'm hoping that this will do it. If it doesn't I will have another corisone shot. If at all possible, rest!! Are you at the window? If so, would it be possible to have a stool there, so you can get off of your foot some of the time? I wish you well Jan!! I hope that the pain will start to go away for you too. CW