Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Difference between EPF and Endoscopic Plantar Fascia Release

Posted by Michelle B on 12/27/00 at 19:46 (035466)

Dear Dr.,
I just came across this site while searching for more info about the surgery that I just had on 12/15/00. Kinda like shutting the barn door after the horse is out, huh? Anyway, I wondered what the difference is between EPF and endoscopic plantar fascia release. I just had the fascia release surgery. I read a lot of posts about the time that it took to recover. I was told that I could begin bearing weight on the foot that I had surgery on, but I must admit that I'm kind of leery of this. How long is a 'standard' recovery period? I scheduled this surgery during Christmas break so that I'd only miss seven days total of school. Therefore I'm kind of scared that I might do myself more harm by trying to walk on this foot too soon. What advice can you give? I still have numbness in my toes, there is some bruising near my ankle. I've also experienced coldness in my toes, too. I had my stitches removed today, so I guess I'm on the mend, but I'm being a real chicken about bearing weight on my foot. The posts that I've read have been kind of scary, so now I'm not sure what to think. Any advice you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Michelle

Re: Difference between EPF and Endoscopic Plantar Fascia Release

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/27/00 at 23:28 (035485)

The recovery time is very different for each patient. Very slow increase in activity is very important. If it hurts don't walk thru the pain. No bare feet. Wear a stiff shank shoe. EPF stands for endoscopic plantar facia release. Complete healing can take up to six months. So just because you feel great no high impact sports or long shopping trips to the mall. So take a walk and slowly increase your time. There are patients that can go back to work at school so long as you have the time to sit and rest if you develop pain. I find that if you do have pain it is better to have a short boot cast on the foot and ankle. Good luck and lets get your foot healed.

Re: Difference between EPF and Endoscopic Plantar Fascia Release

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/27/00 at 23:28 (035485)

The recovery time is very different for each patient. Very slow increase in activity is very important. If it hurts don't walk thru the pain. No bare feet. Wear a stiff shank shoe. EPF stands for endoscopic plantar facia release. Complete healing can take up to six months. So just because you feel great no high impact sports or long shopping trips to the mall. So take a walk and slowly increase your time. There are patients that can go back to work at school so long as you have the time to sit and rest if you develop pain. I find that if you do have pain it is better to have a short boot cast on the foot and ankle. Good luck and lets get your foot healed.