Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Podiatry Online Newsflash

Posted by Pauline on 12/28/00 at 14:51 (035511)

I guess only Dr. Z may be able to shed some light on this one. I read today that many Podiatrist are feeling loss of control in prescribing orthotics as more and more Insurance Companies are requiring them to send their patients to Orthotists. The main reason for this said one Podiatrist is 'not that we are charging too much but because of the 'preception' of over utilization and abuse. Left to our own device some physicians would be making orthotics for ingrown toenails and plantar warts.' The physician writing this article said 'some of preception is true.'

In an unrelated article talking about a lower cost orthotic product
Dr. Shavelson another Podiatrist goes on to say ' The marketing power of a report handed to the patient 'sells' orthotics and generates income as a billable entity. It validates the need for the orthotic to insurance companies. It documents to MD's, gov't, and insurance companies that biomechanical pathology exists.' He continues 'if podiatrists are unable to present the rationale for orthotics to their patients and referral sources, then we are in big trouble.'

I guess. unless a case for a biomechanical problem can be made, it is becomming more difficult for patients to have their insurance companies pay for their orthotics resulting in less income for the physician. That may be why in other entries Podiatrist are calling for unity support as well as asking patients to write and call their congressmen to regain this control from insurance companies.

Interesting stuff this infighting.

Re: Podiatry Online Newsflash

Dr. Biehler on 12/28/00 at 16:32 (035515)

I think alot of the problem is if there is a need for a controling orthotic, it has to be made correctly, posted correctly and fit right in order to have the desired effect. When the podiatrists have to send their perscriptions for orthotics to the 'discout labs' that have contracted with certain insurance companies, the end product is not what was exspected. This results in the orthotic not working and the podiatrist ends up recieving the blame and the patient does not get helped. Alot of patient that could have been helped with orthotics end up thinking they do not work. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/28/00 at 21:28 (035535)

I missed this debate. I have heard the same story before . There is the side of the insurance company, the side of the podiatrist. and then as always the truth is somewhere in between.

There is a place for biomechanicl orthosis in the treatment of foot pain especially heel spur and or plantar fasciitis.

There is very little place for any insurance company to tell any patient and or docctor what is needed when it comes to the patient-doctor relationship. Any time you have a third party involved in any relationship you are going to have conflicts. Just ask any son-in-law

Dr. Biehler on 12/28/00 at 16:32 (035515)

I think alot of the problem is if there is a need for a controling orthotic, it has to be made correctly, posted correctly and fit right in order to have the desired effect. When the podiatrists have to send their perscriptions for orthotics to the 'discout labs' that have contracted with certain insurance companies, the end product is not what was exspected. This results in the orthotic not working and the podiatrist ends up recieving the blame and the patient does not get helped. Alot of patient that could have been helped with orthotics end up thinking they do not work. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/28/00 at 21:28 (035535)

I missed this debate. I have heard the same story before . There is the side of the insurance company, the side of the podiatrist. and then as always the truth is somewhere in between.

There is a place for biomechanicl orthosis in the treatment of foot pain especially heel spur and or plantar fasciitis.

There is very little place for any insurance company to tell any patient and or docctor what is needed when it comes to the patient-doctor relationship. Any time you have a third party involved in any relationship you are going to have conflicts. Just ask any son-in-law