Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

non walking cast

Posted by Tracy C. on 12/29/00 at 16:05 (035576)

Dr. Zuckerman, I talked to you about 8 weeks ago. I called you the same day I was scheduled to get a Non Walking Cast put on my left foot to help cure my PF. You asked me to get an MRI of my foot and not to do the cast yet. Well, I phone my doctor and asked her if she knew about ESWT and if not, if she would look into it. She said she did not have a clue and did not act any kind of interested. I went ahead with the cast. For 6 horrible weeks I sat on my toosh and did nothing. It was the most miserable time of my life. I have had it off for 2 weeks now and my foot STILL HURTS. My Pod says I should cut back my activity. I have done that and I still use crutches to alleviate the pain. I have two kids under 3, I work and so does my husband. I have to be on my feet at times and I have to be on my feet without crutches at times. I cannot avoid that.

I guess what I want to know is, can you send me more information about the procedure? I would like to see a video, but I cannot access it online, I have tried. I was hoping to be able to talk personally to some of your patients. I can provide my phone number, off line for that.

My Pod is going to recommend surgery, fascia release. But, I refuse to do it. First of all, she said she has done it twice. I don't want her touching my foot if she has only done it twice. No offense, but it is my foot. I would like to do the ESWT, but need a lot more encouragement. Can you help?

I look forward to your answer. I live in Maryland, not far away at all.

Thanks.
Tracy

Re: non walking cast

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 15:12 (035638)

Hi,

There are alot of patients and people on this board that can tell you about ESWT. You can first call my ESWT coordinator Katie at 1-856-848-3338
She has had the procedure done. She can tell you what it was like as a patient. . She will send you a video . Hope this is a good start.

PS: I will still get the mri . It is important to find out if you have a stress fracture, any tear in any specific tendon such as the posterior tendon.

Tracy C. on 1/01/01 at 19:00 (035774)

Thanks for your fast response. I will try to see if my insurance will cover an MRI. My pod has had a very trying time with my insurance, it has taken a whole lot of work to get even medicine approved. When I asked my doctor about an MRI, she said it wasn't necessary. Is this inexperience, or just a different opinion? I can't help feeling that if surgery is the last resort, shouldn't I try every thing before getting to that step?

Thanks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 15:12 (035638)

Hi,

There are alot of patients and people on this board that can tell you about ESWT. You can first call my ESWT coordinator Katie at 1-856-848-3338
She has had the procedure done. She can tell you what it was like as a patient. . She will send you a video . Hope this is a good start.

PS: I will still get the mri . It is important to find out if you have a stress fracture, any tear in any specific tendon such as the posterior tendon.

Tracy C. on 1/01/01 at 19:00 (035774)

Thanks for your fast response. I will try to see if my insurance will cover an MRI. My pod has had a very trying time with my insurance, it has taken a whole lot of work to get even medicine approved. When I asked my doctor about an MRI, she said it wasn't necessary. Is this inexperience, or just a different opinion? I can't help feeling that if surgery is the last resort, shouldn't I try every thing before getting to that step?

Thanks.