Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Piece of cake...

Posted by Karin L. on 12/30/00 at 09:02 (035607)

Hello all,
Well yesterday I had the OssaTron procedure! It took about an hour, was heavily sedated, & this is unbelievable!! After the procedure, I put my New Balance on, with the inserts, & walked from the wheelchair to the car! I can't believe how I feel. Cindy, you were right, I am amazed that I have no more pain than I did before this was done. I slept most of the day yesterday, & other than my legs feeling like noodles, I felt great! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the answer that I have been searching for for 2 years. I will probably get my left foot done if I continue to have problems with it. Who knows, maybe the shot of cortisone was all that that one needed. Well, I will keep you all informed as to my progress. Cindy, thanks for all your positive thoughts. Did you find the NB and do you like them?
Karinm

Re: Piece of cake...

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 10:39 (035618)

Glad to hear it;s done.

Now take it easy today. No bare feet. And don't you work for a podiatrist.?

Listen to his advice.

Karin L. on 12/30/00 at 13:39 (035629)

Donna,
My pod suggested the Dyna Step that is sold in grocery stores & Walgreens. I think they are very comfortable & fit great in my NB. Hope this helps.
Karin

Karin L. on 12/30/00 at 13:45 (035630)

Dr. Z,
I don't have any pain from the ESWT, but I have a question for you. I was given 2 drugs before going into the OR and once there I was given 2 more injections into my IV that sedated me, don't know what they were, but just when I think I can do more, I tire really easily. Is this normal? The only restrictions I was given was to decrease my activity for the next 3 days and to wear my tennis shoes with my inserts. All I seem to want to do is go to bed & sleep for a couple of hours, get up for about an hour & then it starts again. Thanks for all your information & all your time spent answering all of us! No, I do not work for my Dr. I am an Occupational Therapist, semi-retired raising our 9 year old.
Karin

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 14:54 (035634)

Sorry wrong person. Now back to the IV sedation. This is common. You probay had versed and or something similiar. These iv sedation drugs really put you to sleep and then you wake up very quickly.

So take advantage of the rest for the next few days. Drink plenty of water. This won't last very long. Maybe few days.

I am still amazed at IV sedation. From my end of the surgical table it is great. I use a local anesthesic injection for foot surgery and can inject as fast from any angle into the foot. Even right thru the bottom . The patients do move but never remember or feel anything. If you didn't have a local injected into the foot during the procedure it is possible that you were placed pretty deep into sedation. You see you don't want to have the patient moving during any type of surgery including ESWT.

I tell the doctor or nurse giving the anesthesia to place the patient deep so that I can give the local fast into the foot, then we bring them up to a very light sedation. even can talk to them. With the noise from the ossatron you probaby were kept deep for the entire procedure.

If for some reason you need a second treatment you can use head phones and be placed deep for the local and then light for the rest of this fifteen minute procedure.

So don't worry you will rest for the next few days and drink alot fluids and enjoy the new year's

Have a happy and healthy (painfree foot) new year's

Cindy K on 1/01/01 at 09:52 (035756)

Hi Karin,

That is great news, I am glad to hear you are doing well. Just remember that there are good days and bad days. It is interesting that I felt very weak after the procedure. As Dr. Z indicated, sedation with ankle blocks are used often for this procedure. I still have tenderness on the left foot where there was bruising and we are now @ day 17 post op. Today, I have pain upon arising from my deep sleep. Yesterday, I did little or nothing and found that I had more difficulty walking that the previous day. Some of the pain has returned when I first stand in the morning, but I still have no pain when I stand barefooted (not advised...and it is only to hop into the shower). Tomorrow, I return to work. I have had a great two weeks off with a good deal of rest. I am concerned that my return will be my demise on this procedure. I am on my feet most of the day, as it looks that you are too.

I bought the NB 851 and they are much nicer than the NB608. I pulled the insoles out and put in a pair of green sof sole, then placed my hard plastic orthotics on top. It seems to give me more bounce....since I walk on hard floors, I hope this will protect my feet even more. WE'll see tomorrow.

While I am in the heeling process, I still rely on a cane on occassion. I guess I will return to work with it by myside just to remind me to take it slow or if I start to feel pain. I am also trying to lose weight while I am recovering. So far, I have dropped 5 pounds and hope that I can continue this trend. I have about 10X that to go.

Best wishes, and keep us posted.
Cindy K.

Karin L. on 1/01/01 at 13:19 (035764)

Cindy,
Glad you found the 851's and that you like them! Sorry to hear that you are still having pain, you did have the procedure with the OssaTron didn't you? I am at day 3 post-op & I still can't believe how good I feel! I don't have any swelling or bruising & virtually no pain, not even with that first morning step. I think all my Dr. did was heavily sedate me, I don't think he used a nerve block or even an injection in my foot to numb it. I woke up with full feeling in my foot & no pain. I have followed my Dr.'s orders to decrease my activities for 3 days & have literally done very little. Lots of rest, shoes on with inserts at all times. Look into Herbalife for weight loss. It's a great product! I have lost 17 lbs. since the beginning of Nov. & am almost at my ideal weight. Keep doing what your Dr. tells you to do...don't overdue the standing at work. I too am on my feet most of the day...I have my own stained glass co. & stand to cut glass about 4-5 hrs. a day. I will cut back & just complete jobs at a slower pace. Will keep you informed as to my progress.
Karin

Cindy K. on 1/02/01 at 18:06 (035813)

Karin,

That is great news, I am glad you are doing so well. I hope that trend continues. Good idea about herbalife. Stain Glass, that is a lovely craft. IMy mother likes to work with glass, and has made some lovely pieces through the years. I am the fortunate owner of several.

Take care of yourself, and I will see you around the thread.
Cindy K.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 10:39 (035618)

Glad to hear it;s done.

Now take it easy today. No bare feet. And don't you work for a podiatrist.?

Listen to his advice.

Karin L. on 12/30/00 at 13:39 (035629)

Donna,
My pod suggested the Dyna Step that is sold in grocery stores & Walgreens. I think they are very comfortable & fit great in my NB. Hope this helps.
Karin

Karin L. on 12/30/00 at 13:45 (035630)

Dr. Z,
I don't have any pain from the ESWT, but I have a question for you. I was given 2 drugs before going into the OR and once there I was given 2 more injections into my IV that sedated me, don't know what they were, but just when I think I can do more, I tire really easily. Is this normal? The only restrictions I was given was to decrease my activity for the next 3 days and to wear my tennis shoes with my inserts. All I seem to want to do is go to bed & sleep for a couple of hours, get up for about an hour & then it starts again. Thanks for all your information & all your time spent answering all of us! No, I do not work for my Dr. I am an Occupational Therapist, semi-retired raising our 9 year old.
Karin

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 14:54 (035634)

Sorry wrong person. Now back to the IV sedation. This is common. You probay had versed and or something similiar. These iv sedation drugs really put you to sleep and then you wake up very quickly.

So take advantage of the rest for the next few days. Drink plenty of water. This won't last very long. Maybe few days.

I am still amazed at IV sedation. From my end of the surgical table it is great. I use a local anesthesic injection for foot surgery and can inject as fast from any angle into the foot. Even right thru the bottom . The patients do move but never remember or feel anything. If you didn't have a local injected into the foot during the procedure it is possible that you were placed pretty deep into sedation. You see you don't want to have the patient moving during any type of surgery including ESWT.

I tell the doctor or nurse giving the anesthesia to place the patient deep so that I can give the local fast into the foot, then we bring them up to a very light sedation. even can talk to them. With the noise from the ossatron you probaby were kept deep for the entire procedure.

If for some reason you need a second treatment you can use head phones and be placed deep for the local and then light for the rest of this fifteen minute procedure.

So don't worry you will rest for the next few days and drink alot fluids and enjoy the new year's

Have a happy and healthy (painfree foot) new year's

Cindy K on 1/01/01 at 09:52 (035756)

Hi Karin,

That is great news, I am glad to hear you are doing well. Just remember that there are good days and bad days. It is interesting that I felt very weak after the procedure. As Dr. Z indicated, sedation with ankle blocks are used often for this procedure. I still have tenderness on the left foot where there was bruising and we are now @ day 17 post op. Today, I have pain upon arising from my deep sleep. Yesterday, I did little or nothing and found that I had more difficulty walking that the previous day. Some of the pain has returned when I first stand in the morning, but I still have no pain when I stand barefooted (not advised...and it is only to hop into the shower). Tomorrow, I return to work. I have had a great two weeks off with a good deal of rest. I am concerned that my return will be my demise on this procedure. I am on my feet most of the day, as it looks that you are too.

I bought the NB 851 and they are much nicer than the NB608. I pulled the insoles out and put in a pair of green sof sole, then placed my hard plastic orthotics on top. It seems to give me more bounce....since I walk on hard floors, I hope this will protect my feet even more. WE'll see tomorrow.

While I am in the heeling process, I still rely on a cane on occassion. I guess I will return to work with it by myside just to remind me to take it slow or if I start to feel pain. I am also trying to lose weight while I am recovering. So far, I have dropped 5 pounds and hope that I can continue this trend. I have about 10X that to go.

Best wishes, and keep us posted.
Cindy K.

Karin L. on 1/01/01 at 13:19 (035764)

Cindy,
Glad you found the 851's and that you like them! Sorry to hear that you are still having pain, you did have the procedure with the OssaTron didn't you? I am at day 3 post-op & I still can't believe how good I feel! I don't have any swelling or bruising & virtually no pain, not even with that first morning step. I think all my Dr. did was heavily sedate me, I don't think he used a nerve block or even an injection in my foot to numb it. I woke up with full feeling in my foot & no pain. I have followed my Dr.'s orders to decrease my activities for 3 days & have literally done very little. Lots of rest, shoes on with inserts at all times. Look into Herbalife for weight loss. It's a great product! I have lost 17 lbs. since the beginning of Nov. & am almost at my ideal weight. Keep doing what your Dr. tells you to do...don't overdue the standing at work. I too am on my feet most of the day...I have my own stained glass co. & stand to cut glass about 4-5 hrs. a day. I will cut back & just complete jobs at a slower pace. Will keep you informed as to my progress.
Karin

Cindy K. on 1/02/01 at 18:06 (035813)

Karin,

That is great news, I am glad you are doing so well. I hope that trend continues. Good idea about herbalife. Stain Glass, that is a lovely craft. IMy mother likes to work with glass, and has made some lovely pieces through the years. I am the fortunate owner of several.

Take care of yourself, and I will see you around the thread.
Cindy K.