Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

walking with spurs

Posted by cindy l. on 12/30/00 at 11:36 (035624)

I am a walker & was recently diagnosed with a spur in my left foot. At the moment it is just discomfort, not pain. But I'm, resentfully, not walking, stretching & taking it easy.

Will this ever be okay again so I can continue my walking?

Re: walking with spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 14:59 (035635)

Yes but you need to find out why you developed this pain.
Too much walking over 4miles is alot. I always say walking is great for the heart, great for the mind but bad for the feet.

Stretching take a look at Mike Wilmott stretching program.

The most common reason is take a look at your shoes. Are they worn out.
Do they bend in the arch. Stiff shank is very important to prevent plantar fasciitis.

The most important point is you must find out the resaon and remove it or prevent it. Plantar fasciiitis is a repetitive motion injury that can put you out of the game of life very quickly so please read all you can and find out why you developed this.

My guess is the amount of walking you do or the lack of stretching you don't do. What do you think?

Re: walking with spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 14:59 (035635)

Yes but you need to find out why you developed this pain.
Too much walking over 4miles is alot. I always say walking is great for the heart, great for the mind but bad for the feet.

Stretching take a look at Mike Wilmott stretching program.

The most common reason is take a look at your shoes. Are they worn out.
Do they bend in the arch. Stiff shank is very important to prevent plantar fasciitis.

The most important point is you must find out the resaon and remove it or prevent it. Plantar fasciiitis is a repetitive motion injury that can put you out of the game of life very quickly so please read all you can and find out why you developed this.

My guess is the amount of walking you do or the lack of stretching you don't do. What do you think?