Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MY DIRTY LITTLE SECRET.... BARE FEET

Posted by Barbara TX on 12/30/00 at 15:49 (035643)

OK folks... I am finally brave enough to withstand your tirades about how stupid I am. But you must remember that my feet have defied every PF rule. I have been walking around barefoot for about a week, and I really am feeling a substantial improvement. Why this is, I haven't a clue in the world. Why could this be? I had the best morning so far this morning, pain, but I could shake it off and warm up to walking. My floors are concrete under worn carpet pad, and the kitchen is just stone tile. I keep waiting for a backslide, but there is none!!!! Today at the park I was watching the kids outside, barefeet without any socks on. I still have pain at the insertion point when I press it, but I can stand it. I absolutely, positively CANNOT STAND my Birkenstocks anymore. Barefeet feels much better and then rubber Birkies for outside (without socks - socks hurt). I notice that the Birki arch is much, much lower.

Has this worked for any other weirdo out there? Newbies, do not try this or we will all yell at you... Good God! What is Dr. Z going to say if he sees me walk across the street to his office with my bare feet in January? B.

Re: MY DIRTY LITTLE SECRET.... BARE FEET

Pauline on 12/30/00 at 16:54 (035645)

Barbara,
I too felt much better barefoot. I could never stand the Birks or orthotics. Remember your still being prayed for at St. Bonventures. Your good fortune started when I put you on the list.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 18:19 (035650)

I cured you. Now don't get preganant and bare footed. I have no idea why.
I will try to think of the reason tonight when I dream about feet.

Nancy N on 12/30/00 at 19:45 (035657)

Barb--

I go barefoot a lot, too. The odd thing is that, until I found this board, NOBODY ever told me not to! And never letting me go barefoot is sort of like putting me in a straitjacket--I feel so claustrophobic with my shoes on at home, and if I don't let my feet air for a while each day they start to itch, so I try to give them at least 20 minutes if I have to go out somewhere after work.

I have been cleaning my house today, so I certainly have not gone barefoot while doing that--it's just asking for trouble. And recently I've been wearing those Futuro ankle braces just for some extra support--I sort of feel like I can 'cheat' with impunity with those on. I have been feeling ever-so-slightly more pain in the last few days, so I am being extra careful, but I really don't think the bare feet have anything to do with it. I think I've been on them more lately because I've been out shopping, etc.

Anyway, if it seems to help, I wouldn't argue with it. The Pain Free book my dad has, which is by a PT named Pete Egoscue, takes the view that it's best to go barefoot as often as you can so that your feet don't become dependent on the shoes/orthotics for support. I don't know what truth there is in that, but it makes sense to me. The truth, as always, probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Brad/NY on 12/30/00 at 21:26 (035670)

If I have learned anything from the God-awful experience of having PF for a year, it is to trust my instincts rather than my doctors. You have to do what you find feels good to you. My doctor swore that the $300 inserts were going to 'cure' my feet -- only if I wore them ALL the time. After I found my feet hurt a lot with them, I switched to Birks, Saucony spongy running shoes, and, yes sometimes barefoot. I'm doing better...so there!

Kay S on 12/30/00 at 22:04 (035676)

BarbTX: Naughty, naughty!!! However, the thought of walking barefoot sounds absolutely glorious! There is no way in the world that I could take a step barefoot, so that gets me wondering---how long since your ESWT? Could that mean that I have this to look forward to? (don't worry, Dr. Z, I will not go running in the snow barefoot) You do sound as though you have improved this week, and I need to hear something positive, so remind me of how long it has been. I am only two+ weeks post ESWT and having a heckuva time. I am still going to have the second one, no matter what, but wish I could report more improvement. Give me some hope. Tell me the ESWT is going to kick in any minute. Make me think I can walk barefoot!
Kay

john h on 12/31/00 at 09:49 (035687)

it may just be that in stretching the fascia you are improving your feet. youe hear the old saying over and over 'never go barefooted' but what scientific evidence is there to support that? perhaps in the initial stages of a pf flareup not going barefoot makes some sense but does this rule forever apply? probably not and you may be the proof. think i will toss the shoes today and if i surffer pain i am coming after you barb.

fDr. Zuckerman on 12/31/00 at 10:06 (035692)

I think that common sense and a little with and without shoes is the best answer. I believe that there is no general answeer for any and everyone.
Just take a look at hot vs cold soaks for pf. Well the time, the patient and the results are the answer.

I like heat after the initial stages of any type of trauma. Alot doctors are ice ice ice. Well I think that ice is good and so is heat. Maybe shoes and no shoes are in the same type of treatment group. good for some and bad for others and sometimes good and sometimes bad

John H. made a very good point after the initial stages you may to think about what is good for your foot shoes or no shoes. I can just see everyone without shoes in the winter.

It would be interesting to find out what season (shoes cause more pf and which season don't . This is going to be tough because some excercise more inside in the cold and some excercise more in the summer time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/31/00 at 10:12 (035694)

I am so glad that I get to hear this stuff on this board. Because any treatment is only as good as what the patients tell us.
Yes orthosis are good , yes ESWT is good, yes stretching is good, yes yes
but not for everyone and anyone. We are doctors havd got to stop using cook book flow sheet types of treatments on patients. Medicine will be beter and better if we treat it as a business in the aspect of patient feed back. What do you the patient think. I am not saying just because one patient thinks that this or that but don't every close your eyes and ears to what the patient is telling you.

Did you know that there are standards of care that dictate what to now and what to do after. I wonder what impute the patients had in this flow sheet.

I do know the doctors and the insurance companies had a big say.!!!

Nancy N on 12/31/00 at 10:36 (035697)

Dr. Z--

I don't think the 'cook book flow sheet' approach is a bad start. But if more than one or two things on the sheet don't work, it's probably time to abandon the sheet. I work with computers, where troubleshooting can be easy (you get an error message and find out what it means and how to fix it) or really difficult (the user has a problem and you can't replicate it to save your life, and therefore have nothing to go on even though you believe that the problem really did happen). Even when it's tough, though, there's always an answer, even if it means reformatting the computer and starting over to clear out the bad stuff. It sure would be nice if people were like that! Your foot hurts? Oh, ok, give us a few hours, we'll store all your 'data,' reformat, reload, and you'll be good as new!

Actually, thinking about it this way gives me a new appreciation of what it must be like as a doctor, trying to figure out how to cure someone with PF, or anything else that's difficult to treat. There are no easy answers... Thanks for all your efforts, Dr. Z.

Barbara TX on 12/31/00 at 11:43 (035705)

Kay - it very well could be that my healing rate after ESWT is very, very slow. Maybe very acute cases take awhile to resolve. I know that Dr. Z is thinking about why, and his theory tends toward a neuroma in my foot... I think that he may be right. Thies neuroma was most likely caused by walking on the ball of my foot to avoid hurting my sensitive heel. He thinks maybe between the 3rd & 4th metatarsal... bt I think perhaps between the 1st and 2nd - that somehow makes the pain radiate backwards along the plantar fascia toward the heel - which would amplify the heel pain that already exists. Whew! Who knows. But I am having substantial improvement, even in morning pain, these past 3 days. My pain increases upon walking, and I can barely do a store for 1/3 hour before I start doing the pf shuffle... so, ESWT may take longer to kick in for some, so patience is a virture here. Don't expect immediate results. I believe that Scott R.'s ESWT results were very gradual and slow as well. There are always repeat treatments if no improvement whatsoever is noticed. Happy new year, Kay! Barefoot Babs

Beverly on 12/31/00 at 14:40 (035713)

TexBarb,

Well, I do wish I could be barefooted occassionally. But it it pure torture to my tootsies. I'm a bit envious. Hey, whatever works. But don't overdo it.
Keep us posted,
Beverly

Re: To Beverly - doctor in TX

Barbara TX on 12/31/00 at 17:36 (035732)

This from Sue R.

'Dr. Charles Cook can be reached at 214-265-7175. He hasn't received his
Ossatron equipment yet but soon I think.'

That's a Dallas area code, but I'm not sure where his office is. Best wishes for picking out a doctor (and packing up your stuff)! B.

Re: futuro ankle braces

alan k on 1/02/01 at 07:57 (035788)

Nancy,

A ways back I was on-again off-again with futuro ankle braces and don't have any strong feelings about them, but did find that if I wore them too long they contributed to discomfort. I mostly wore them for bare-foot yoga, but in the end decided that they were a psychological crutch, because I didn't feel like I could just do yoga barefoot. Perhaps your recent use of them may be related to recent discomforts.

I have in the past claimed that I was going to start going barefoot to get my feet ready for life in Thailand but I still haven't done it. I still wear birks everywhere. Funny how one of the depressing things when first getting pf was my joy in walking barefoot, and now I don't miss it at all and in fact have a psychological block about doing it.

I definitely know, though, that at the time that I had painful pf, avoidance of barefoot walking and showering was a huge help.

best wishes,
alan k

Celia on 1/03/01 at 17:31 (035874)

Wow! I was praying for a message like this!! You see, this past Friday I had seen my acupuncturist who was insisting I walk barefooted in his clinic so he could see how I'm progressing. I pleaded with him to let me walk in my shoes and emphasized how important it is for me to walk with support. He asked SAYS WHO??? So I explained the whole ordeal about my orthodics, night splints, inserts, heel pads, etc. He shook his head and told me that if I keep confining my feet to all that stuff that they will eventually become enslaved for life! Let my feet breathe!! He encouraged me to walk barefooted, shower without sandals, don't wear night splints, etc. - basically THE TOTAL OPPOSITE OF WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD TO DO!! I started to panick!! He said if I haven't felt better these past two years with all the stuff I've been doing, then try the other approach. He said that each part of our body was created to do a certain job. Our feet were made to act as a spring to the rest of our body so ALLOW IT TO DO ITS JOB. Just when you have some kind of surgery, you're still expected to get 'back on track.' That's what your feet have to do. How are they supposed to know that they are to act as a spring to your body if we keep it confined and/or enslaved to all the other things, i.e., shoes, ankle braces, night splints, etc. I've realized that I've been so paranoid to just cross the street for coffee because 'what if I hurt?' I think he's right!

For New Year's, I road tripped up to San Francisco. Not only did I cruise up to Napa Valley and had to stand at each winery to taste the wine, but I also walked around San Francisco along the embarcadero and that place is darn hilly! I walked barefooted in the hotel, took a shower without sandals, didn't even use my nightsplint at night, didn't ice, and I was actually okay. I had a little pain, but nothing that would screw up my day. And you know what? There were times when I would stop thinking about my feet and actually had a blast WITH NO PAIN until someone would ask me how my feet are doing!

Do you think that what the acupuncturist said is true? My sister also had pf and always walked barefooted. She said that if you don't learn to let go and let your feet do its work, the pain becomes psychosematic. If you don't think about it, it goes away. You think? I'm believing that.

So being barefooted may work for some and/or not for others, but, darn it, I'll be damned if I allow this pf to take over my life! I'm walking barefooted at home now and am just fine. I shower with no sandals and am just fine. I will do what my acupuncturist is advising to see if maybe a little change will wake my feet up. They do need their exercise and maybe a little 'training' to know what they were made for.

Today at work, I'm doing 50%, 50%. I wore my heels by Aerosoles (great brand!) in the morning until 12 p.m. and am now wearing clogs by Clarks (which are very comfortable for me). I'm feeling just fine. Beats the hell out of wearing a nice suit with tennis shoes!!

I apologize if this message doesn't make sense. It's hard to type this while I'm at work with a demanding boss who keeps coming in my office!! Gotta go!!

wendyn on 1/03/01 at 22:52 (035891)

Celia - I think you make a lot of valid points. I am not really supposed to go barefoot because my arches are collapsing. It's actually quite painful for me if I do much without shoes on. But - I do shower with my bare feet - sometimes I stand on my sponge or a wash cloth. And I putter around sometimes in my socks - but not much. That little bit sometimes feels really good!

I know what you mean about just going ahead with what you want to do. Sometimes I get frustrated because I can baby my feet to death and they will start hurting for no apparent reason. I sometimes figure - if they're going to hurt I might as well deserve it. Then I go ahead and hit the mall for 2 hours or give myself some extra time on the bike at the gym. Sometimes it comes back to haunt me - sometimes it doesn't.

I think the important point (as always) is to do what's right for you.

Re: I feel great!

Celia on 1/04/01 at 12:12 (035909)

I'm doing what the acupuncturist advised, as I wrote in my previous message yesterday, and it's working! How can that be? My right foot feels excellent today and I'm walking on heels. This morning, I woke up with a little soreness, but not the usual 'walking on broken glass' feeling.

Barbara TX on 1/04/01 at 16:47 (035922)

I think that the overarching principle seems to be to do whatever makes your feet feel better. For me, it is in and out of shoes, mostly barefoot... and Dr. Z. gave me some metatarsal pads that I have affixed directly to my skin while barefoot... I am a sight to behold. Maybe Scott's idea of those little geisha shoes isn't so bad after all. I teased him mercilessly and now I am contrite. B.

john a on 1/05/01 at 10:28 (035964)

Yes, it's certainly a case of do whatever makes your feet feel better. I just wish there was some better way of making decisions about what those things are: it seems to be mostly random, with neither rhyme nor reason -- what hurt yesterday may not hurt today and what feels good today may hurt tomorrow. I think this situation signifies a clear lack of understanding on the part of just about everyone about what PF really is. A more pessimistic way of putting this might be to say that an affliction that affects everyone differently can scarcely be called an affliction at all, and gives ammo to people who say we're all just a bunch of hypochondriacal wimps who need to get lives. But please note that this is not to say that I am not still in pain or that I can offer any insights to lesson people's suffering :-)

Nancy S. on 1/05/01 at 10:48 (035966)

Except that many afflictions affect people differently, and sometimes change day to day, with little remissions and relapses. Parkinson's, diabetes, schizophrenia, any tendonitis, etc. I don't find PF all that incomprehensible; it just whips you around a lot.
Nancy

Kate on 1/08/01 at 08:13 (036130)

Barb,
This is strictly between me and you, don't tell Doc, but I prefer bare feet to anything, and that is when I have the most relief! The only time being au natural does give me some discomfort is in the shower, so I do the rolled up towel thing and stand on it.
But other than that, my tootsies like their freedom!
But again, to all of the new patients out there, the standard advice remains ( and I must say this or else Doc might take away my Orby!)
NO BARE FEET! IT'S BAD FOR YOU !

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

Pauline on 12/30/00 at 16:54 (035645)

Barbara,
I too felt much better barefoot. I could never stand the Birks or orthotics. Remember your still being prayed for at St. Bonventures. Your good fortune started when I put you on the list.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/30/00 at 18:19 (035650)

I cured you. Now don't get preganant and bare footed. I have no idea why.
I will try to think of the reason tonight when I dream about feet.

Nancy N on 12/30/00 at 19:45 (035657)

Barb--

I go barefoot a lot, too. The odd thing is that, until I found this board, NOBODY ever told me not to! And never letting me go barefoot is sort of like putting me in a straitjacket--I feel so claustrophobic with my shoes on at home, and if I don't let my feet air for a while each day they start to itch, so I try to give them at least 20 minutes if I have to go out somewhere after work.

I have been cleaning my house today, so I certainly have not gone barefoot while doing that--it's just asking for trouble. And recently I've been wearing those Futuro ankle braces just for some extra support--I sort of feel like I can 'cheat' with impunity with those on. I have been feeling ever-so-slightly more pain in the last few days, so I am being extra careful, but I really don't think the bare feet have anything to do with it. I think I've been on them more lately because I've been out shopping, etc.

Anyway, if it seems to help, I wouldn't argue with it. The Pain Free book my dad has, which is by a PT named Pete Egoscue, takes the view that it's best to go barefoot as often as you can so that your feet don't become dependent on the shoes/orthotics for support. I don't know what truth there is in that, but it makes sense to me. The truth, as always, probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Brad/NY on 12/30/00 at 21:26 (035670)

If I have learned anything from the God-awful experience of having PF for a year, it is to trust my instincts rather than my doctors. You have to do what you find feels good to you. My doctor swore that the $300 inserts were going to 'cure' my feet -- only if I wore them ALL the time. After I found my feet hurt a lot with them, I switched to Birks, Saucony spongy running shoes, and, yes sometimes barefoot. I'm doing better...so there!

Kay S on 12/30/00 at 22:04 (035676)

BarbTX: Naughty, naughty!!! However, the thought of walking barefoot sounds absolutely glorious! There is no way in the world that I could take a step barefoot, so that gets me wondering---how long since your ESWT? Could that mean that I have this to look forward to? (don't worry, Dr. Z, I will not go running in the snow barefoot) You do sound as though you have improved this week, and I need to hear something positive, so remind me of how long it has been. I am only two+ weeks post ESWT and having a heckuva time. I am still going to have the second one, no matter what, but wish I could report more improvement. Give me some hope. Tell me the ESWT is going to kick in any minute. Make me think I can walk barefoot!
Kay

john h on 12/31/00 at 09:49 (035687)

it may just be that in stretching the fascia you are improving your feet. youe hear the old saying over and over 'never go barefooted' but what scientific evidence is there to support that? perhaps in the initial stages of a pf flareup not going barefoot makes some sense but does this rule forever apply? probably not and you may be the proof. think i will toss the shoes today and if i surffer pain i am coming after you barb.

fDr. Zuckerman on 12/31/00 at 10:06 (035692)

I think that common sense and a little with and without shoes is the best answer. I believe that there is no general answeer for any and everyone.
Just take a look at hot vs cold soaks for pf. Well the time, the patient and the results are the answer.

I like heat after the initial stages of any type of trauma. Alot doctors are ice ice ice. Well I think that ice is good and so is heat. Maybe shoes and no shoes are in the same type of treatment group. good for some and bad for others and sometimes good and sometimes bad

John H. made a very good point after the initial stages you may to think about what is good for your foot shoes or no shoes. I can just see everyone without shoes in the winter.

It would be interesting to find out what season (shoes cause more pf and which season don't . This is going to be tough because some excercise more inside in the cold and some excercise more in the summer time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/31/00 at 10:12 (035694)

I am so glad that I get to hear this stuff on this board. Because any treatment is only as good as what the patients tell us.
Yes orthosis are good , yes ESWT is good, yes stretching is good, yes yes
but not for everyone and anyone. We are doctors havd got to stop using cook book flow sheet types of treatments on patients. Medicine will be beter and better if we treat it as a business in the aspect of patient feed back. What do you the patient think. I am not saying just because one patient thinks that this or that but don't every close your eyes and ears to what the patient is telling you.

Did you know that there are standards of care that dictate what to now and what to do after. I wonder what impute the patients had in this flow sheet.

I do know the doctors and the insurance companies had a big say.!!!

Nancy N on 12/31/00 at 10:36 (035697)

Dr. Z--

I don't think the 'cook book flow sheet' approach is a bad start. But if more than one or two things on the sheet don't work, it's probably time to abandon the sheet. I work with computers, where troubleshooting can be easy (you get an error message and find out what it means and how to fix it) or really difficult (the user has a problem and you can't replicate it to save your life, and therefore have nothing to go on even though you believe that the problem really did happen). Even when it's tough, though, there's always an answer, even if it means reformatting the computer and starting over to clear out the bad stuff. It sure would be nice if people were like that! Your foot hurts? Oh, ok, give us a few hours, we'll store all your 'data,' reformat, reload, and you'll be good as new!

Actually, thinking about it this way gives me a new appreciation of what it must be like as a doctor, trying to figure out how to cure someone with PF, or anything else that's difficult to treat. There are no easy answers... Thanks for all your efforts, Dr. Z.

Barbara TX on 12/31/00 at 11:43 (035705)

Kay - it very well could be that my healing rate after ESWT is very, very slow. Maybe very acute cases take awhile to resolve. I know that Dr. Z is thinking about why, and his theory tends toward a neuroma in my foot... I think that he may be right. Thies neuroma was most likely caused by walking on the ball of my foot to avoid hurting my sensitive heel. He thinks maybe between the 3rd & 4th metatarsal... bt I think perhaps between the 1st and 2nd - that somehow makes the pain radiate backwards along the plantar fascia toward the heel - which would amplify the heel pain that already exists. Whew! Who knows. But I am having substantial improvement, even in morning pain, these past 3 days. My pain increases upon walking, and I can barely do a store for 1/3 hour before I start doing the pf shuffle... so, ESWT may take longer to kick in for some, so patience is a virture here. Don't expect immediate results. I believe that Scott R.'s ESWT results were very gradual and slow as well. There are always repeat treatments if no improvement whatsoever is noticed. Happy new year, Kay! Barefoot Babs

Beverly on 12/31/00 at 14:40 (035713)

TexBarb,

Well, I do wish I could be barefooted occassionally. But it it pure torture to my tootsies. I'm a bit envious. Hey, whatever works. But don't overdo it.
Keep us posted,
Beverly

Re: To Beverly - doctor in TX

Barbara TX on 12/31/00 at 17:36 (035732)

This from Sue R.

'Dr. Charles Cook can be reached at 214-265-7175. He hasn't received his
Ossatron equipment yet but soon I think.'

That's a Dallas area code, but I'm not sure where his office is. Best wishes for picking out a doctor (and packing up your stuff)! B.

Re: futuro ankle braces

alan k on 1/02/01 at 07:57 (035788)

Nancy,

A ways back I was on-again off-again with futuro ankle braces and don't have any strong feelings about them, but did find that if I wore them too long they contributed to discomfort. I mostly wore them for bare-foot yoga, but in the end decided that they were a psychological crutch, because I didn't feel like I could just do yoga barefoot. Perhaps your recent use of them may be related to recent discomforts.

I have in the past claimed that I was going to start going barefoot to get my feet ready for life in Thailand but I still haven't done it. I still wear birks everywhere. Funny how one of the depressing things when first getting pf was my joy in walking barefoot, and now I don't miss it at all and in fact have a psychological block about doing it.

I definitely know, though, that at the time that I had painful pf, avoidance of barefoot walking and showering was a huge help.

best wishes,
alan k

Celia on 1/03/01 at 17:31 (035874)

Wow! I was praying for a message like this!! You see, this past Friday I had seen my acupuncturist who was insisting I walk barefooted in his clinic so he could see how I'm progressing. I pleaded with him to let me walk in my shoes and emphasized how important it is for me to walk with support. He asked SAYS WHO??? So I explained the whole ordeal about my orthodics, night splints, inserts, heel pads, etc. He shook his head and told me that if I keep confining my feet to all that stuff that they will eventually become enslaved for life! Let my feet breathe!! He encouraged me to walk barefooted, shower without sandals, don't wear night splints, etc. - basically THE TOTAL OPPOSITE OF WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD TO DO!! I started to panick!! He said if I haven't felt better these past two years with all the stuff I've been doing, then try the other approach. He said that each part of our body was created to do a certain job. Our feet were made to act as a spring to the rest of our body so ALLOW IT TO DO ITS JOB. Just when you have some kind of surgery, you're still expected to get 'back on track.' That's what your feet have to do. How are they supposed to know that they are to act as a spring to your body if we keep it confined and/or enslaved to all the other things, i.e., shoes, ankle braces, night splints, etc. I've realized that I've been so paranoid to just cross the street for coffee because 'what if I hurt?' I think he's right!

For New Year's, I road tripped up to San Francisco. Not only did I cruise up to Napa Valley and had to stand at each winery to taste the wine, but I also walked around San Francisco along the embarcadero and that place is darn hilly! I walked barefooted in the hotel, took a shower without sandals, didn't even use my nightsplint at night, didn't ice, and I was actually okay. I had a little pain, but nothing that would screw up my day. And you know what? There were times when I would stop thinking about my feet and actually had a blast WITH NO PAIN until someone would ask me how my feet are doing!

Do you think that what the acupuncturist said is true? My sister also had pf and always walked barefooted. She said that if you don't learn to let go and let your feet do its work, the pain becomes psychosematic. If you don't think about it, it goes away. You think? I'm believing that.

So being barefooted may work for some and/or not for others, but, darn it, I'll be damned if I allow this pf to take over my life! I'm walking barefooted at home now and am just fine. I shower with no sandals and am just fine. I will do what my acupuncturist is advising to see if maybe a little change will wake my feet up. They do need their exercise and maybe a little 'training' to know what they were made for.

Today at work, I'm doing 50%, 50%. I wore my heels by Aerosoles (great brand!) in the morning until 12 p.m. and am now wearing clogs by Clarks (which are very comfortable for me). I'm feeling just fine. Beats the hell out of wearing a nice suit with tennis shoes!!

I apologize if this message doesn't make sense. It's hard to type this while I'm at work with a demanding boss who keeps coming in my office!! Gotta go!!

wendyn on 1/03/01 at 22:52 (035891)

Celia - I think you make a lot of valid points. I am not really supposed to go barefoot because my arches are collapsing. It's actually quite painful for me if I do much without shoes on. But - I do shower with my bare feet - sometimes I stand on my sponge or a wash cloth. And I putter around sometimes in my socks - but not much. That little bit sometimes feels really good!

I know what you mean about just going ahead with what you want to do. Sometimes I get frustrated because I can baby my feet to death and they will start hurting for no apparent reason. I sometimes figure - if they're going to hurt I might as well deserve it. Then I go ahead and hit the mall for 2 hours or give myself some extra time on the bike at the gym. Sometimes it comes back to haunt me - sometimes it doesn't.

I think the important point (as always) is to do what's right for you.

Re: I feel great!

Celia on 1/04/01 at 12:12 (035909)

I'm doing what the acupuncturist advised, as I wrote in my previous message yesterday, and it's working! How can that be? My right foot feels excellent today and I'm walking on heels. This morning, I woke up with a little soreness, but not the usual 'walking on broken glass' feeling.

Barbara TX on 1/04/01 at 16:47 (035922)

I think that the overarching principle seems to be to do whatever makes your feet feel better. For me, it is in and out of shoes, mostly barefoot... and Dr. Z. gave me some metatarsal pads that I have affixed directly to my skin while barefoot... I am a sight to behold. Maybe Scott's idea of those little geisha shoes isn't so bad after all. I teased him mercilessly and now I am contrite. B.

john a on 1/05/01 at 10:28 (035964)

Yes, it's certainly a case of do whatever makes your feet feel better. I just wish there was some better way of making decisions about what those things are: it seems to be mostly random, with neither rhyme nor reason -- what hurt yesterday may not hurt today and what feels good today may hurt tomorrow. I think this situation signifies a clear lack of understanding on the part of just about everyone about what PF really is. A more pessimistic way of putting this might be to say that an affliction that affects everyone differently can scarcely be called an affliction at all, and gives ammo to people who say we're all just a bunch of hypochondriacal wimps who need to get lives. But please note that this is not to say that I am not still in pain or that I can offer any insights to lesson people's suffering :-)

Nancy S. on 1/05/01 at 10:48 (035966)

Except that many afflictions affect people differently, and sometimes change day to day, with little remissions and relapses. Parkinson's, diabetes, schizophrenia, any tendonitis, etc. I don't find PF all that incomprehensible; it just whips you around a lot.
Nancy

Kate on 1/08/01 at 08:13 (036130)

Barb,
This is strictly between me and you, don't tell Doc, but I prefer bare feet to anything, and that is when I have the most relief! The only time being au natural does give me some discomfort is in the shower, so I do the rolled up towel thing and stand on it.
But other than that, my tootsies like their freedom!
But again, to all of the new patients out there, the standard advice remains ( and I must say this or else Doc might take away my Orby!)
NO BARE FEET! IT'S BAD FOR YOU !

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator