Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT flare?

Posted by Karin L. on 12/30/00 at 21:36 (035673)

Dr. Z,
What is this 3 day post-op flare that you were talking about? I am one day post-op with virtually no pain, swelling, bruising etc., just total fatigue from sedation.
Karin

Re: ESWT flare?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/31/00 at 09:59 (035690)

With the mechanical stimulation from the sound wave it will or should create an inflamatory reponse at the site of treatment. This is how you get increase blood supply and new cells etc into this area. Some people get and increase flare anywhere from three to seven days. Some people get nothing. The point is if you don't see relief with the first three to seven days and see swelling, bruising etc. It is from the treatment and normal.

I rarely see this post-flare such as swelling and bruising but patient's have told me about it and then it is gone within the first threee to seven days after the ESWT treatment.

The lack of pain in your specific case is either from the overstimulation of pain receptors in the area of treatment. or your are completely cured right from the beginning. I have seen patient's chronic pain gone right from the start after ESW Go and read the effects of sound waves on the ESWT page. It is very interesting the theory.

Let say your are cured meaning your pain if gone period. The healing is still taking place so don't over due the foot . This will cause set backs and possible re-treats.

It is great feeling when the chronic pain is gone after just one treatment.

During the time when I was first doing ESWT my first two out of three patient were pain free or had dramatic improvement within the first three days. Both of these patients are pain free today . This is very close to
post-EWST one year. I believe Martha who had ESWT done is one the longest ESWT post that keeps in contact with this board.

john h on 12/31/00 at 10:03 (035691)

the only flare up i experienced was from the martini on the plane on the way home.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/31/00 at 09:59 (035690)

With the mechanical stimulation from the sound wave it will or should create an inflamatory reponse at the site of treatment. This is how you get increase blood supply and new cells etc into this area. Some people get and increase flare anywhere from three to seven days. Some people get nothing. The point is if you don't see relief with the first three to seven days and see swelling, bruising etc. It is from the treatment and normal.

I rarely see this post-flare such as swelling and bruising but patient's have told me about it and then it is gone within the first threee to seven days after the ESWT treatment.

The lack of pain in your specific case is either from the overstimulation of pain receptors in the area of treatment. or your are completely cured right from the beginning. I have seen patient's chronic pain gone right from the start after ESW Go and read the effects of sound waves on the ESWT page. It is very interesting the theory.

Let say your are cured meaning your pain if gone period. The healing is still taking place so don't over due the foot . This will cause set backs and possible re-treats.

It is great feeling when the chronic pain is gone after just one treatment.

During the time when I was first doing ESWT my first two out of three patient were pain free or had dramatic improvement within the first three days. Both of these patients are pain free today . This is very close to
post-EWST one year. I believe Martha who had ESWT done is one the longest ESWT post that keeps in contact with this board.

john h on 12/31/00 at 10:03 (035691)

the only flare up i experienced was from the martini on the plane on the way home.