Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

slipper recommendations?

Posted by Jean M. on 12/31/00 at 16:51 (035727)

Hi all....

After 30 year of going barefoot most of the day and in denial that it had anything to do with my heel pain, I'm finally throwing in the towel and getting some good shoes. I just got the Birkenstock sandals, but am having trouble finding slippers with arch support. I know I can wear the Birkenstocks around the house, but i miss my warm fuzzy slippers...

Any ideas?

-Jean

Re: slipper recommendations?

wendyn on 12/31/00 at 17:09 (035730)

Honestly? If you like the Birks - get some warm fuzzy socks and wear them in your Birks. I have never found any other slippers that would provide the kind of support that Birks do.

Lana R on 12/31/00 at 21:40 (035742)

A German company called Haflinger makes wool slip on clogs with Birkenstock soles. I found them in a shoe store that carries Birkenstocks.

Beverly on 1/01/01 at 18:18 (035771)

I'm with Wendy. Get warm fuzzy socks for your Birks. That's what I wear. I have some wool socks from Lands End that are very warm and fuzzy with my Birk Sandals.
Boston Birks (clog) come in a winter wool and there are a number of other foot friendly clog brands. I've not tried Mephesto's newest clogs, but they have a new line that look comfortable. I'm very curious about the Haflinger and Steggman clogs. I have not been able to find them in a store and I find guessing shoe sizes through mailorder to be very hit and miss. But those German clogs look warm and fuzzy. Try comfortableshoes.com. They have as large a selection of assorted Euro walking shoes I've seen yet. About every brand imagineable.
Best of luck,
Beverly

LindaH on 1/03/01 at 23:26 (035894)

Haflinger clogs are the answer, they saved my life (almost) they are what I live in at home day and night. They have a hard sole and can be worn outdoors as well. I wear a womens 9, and in the clog I wear a 39. They are totally warm and snuggy, and I don't even need socks. Just do a search for them on the web, I got mine at a local run-walk shop

wendyn on 12/31/00 at 17:09 (035730)

Honestly? If you like the Birks - get some warm fuzzy socks and wear them in your Birks. I have never found any other slippers that would provide the kind of support that Birks do.

Lana R on 12/31/00 at 21:40 (035742)

A German company called Haflinger makes wool slip on clogs with Birkenstock soles. I found them in a shoe store that carries Birkenstocks.

Beverly on 1/01/01 at 18:18 (035771)

I'm with Wendy. Get warm fuzzy socks for your Birks. That's what I wear. I have some wool socks from Lands End that are very warm and fuzzy with my Birk Sandals.
Boston Birks (clog) come in a winter wool and there are a number of other foot friendly clog brands. I've not tried Mephesto's newest clogs, but they have a new line that look comfortable. I'm very curious about the Haflinger and Steggman clogs. I have not been able to find them in a store and I find guessing shoe sizes through mailorder to be very hit and miss. But those German clogs look warm and fuzzy. Try comfortableshoes.com. They have as large a selection of assorted Euro walking shoes I've seen yet. About every brand imagineable.
Best of luck,
Beverly

LindaH on 1/03/01 at 23:26 (035894)

Haflinger clogs are the answer, they saved my life (almost) they are what I live in at home day and night. They have a hard sole and can be worn outdoors as well. I wear a womens 9, and in the clog I wear a 39. They are totally warm and snuggy, and I don't even need socks. Just do a search for them on the web, I got mine at a local run-walk shop