Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Burning, stabbing pain, numbness and sensitive

Posted by Vicky H on 12/31/00 at 23:52 (035748)

For over a year now my feet have been so painful. It's really hard to describe. First of all I use to go bare foot all the time, but now I can't even walk across the rug or smooth floor with out hurting my feet. Sometimes my feet feel numb, and at those times I gess they are because I have walked with a tack in my foot twice now. But other times they are so sensitive that I can't stand to have them touched or anything touch them. I sleep with my feet out of the covers, hanging over the bed. When I go to bed my feet feel like they are on fire but they are cold to the touch. When I get up I can hardly walk. Sometimes I have sharp pain in my feet that make my whole leg jump. What is causing this?

Re: Burning, stabbing pain, numbness and sensitive

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/01/01 at 02:36 (035751)

I am very concerned about the fact that you stepped on a tack and couldn't feel it. You can have diabetic neuropathy and or peripheral neuropathy . This needs to be seen immediately by a doctor to treat. Have you seen a doctor and what did he tell you.??

Re: see a doctor about pn

alan k on 1/02/01 at 08:13 (035791)

Sorry to jump in here. It definitely could be neuropathy, some forms of which are quickly and easily treated, with results ranging from perfect if discovered early to far less than perfect if not treated. Vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause neuropathy and is easily reversed. Tests must include both B-12 levels and homocystine levels.

Vicky H on 1/08/01 at 09:05 (036136)

I went to a doctor Friday. Today I go in for blood work. If I am neg. for diabetes then I will be referred to a foot doctor. Thank you for your help. I don't think I would have gone to a doctor if you hadn't said I should.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/01/01 at 02:36 (035751)

I am very concerned about the fact that you stepped on a tack and couldn't feel it. You can have diabetic neuropathy and or peripheral neuropathy . This needs to be seen immediately by a doctor to treat. Have you seen a doctor and what did he tell you.??

Re: see a doctor about pn

alan k on 1/02/01 at 08:13 (035791)

Sorry to jump in here. It definitely could be neuropathy, some forms of which are quickly and easily treated, with results ranging from perfect if discovered early to far less than perfect if not treated. Vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause neuropathy and is easily reversed. Tests must include both B-12 levels and homocystine levels.

Vicky H on 1/08/01 at 09:05 (036136)

I went to a doctor Friday. Today I go in for blood work. If I am neg. for diabetes then I will be referred to a foot doctor. Thank you for your help. I don't think I would have gone to a doctor if you hadn't said I should.